The Official Tennis Thread

Started by Doogie Browser, January 26, 2010, 11:25:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

yellowcard

Glad to see Alcaraz win, he could dominate for the next decade. Also puts a nail in Djokovics ambition to do the calendar slam, while he is a great player he has always been a very hard lad to warm to.

From the Bunker

Quote from: yellowcard on July 16, 2023, 07:01:37 PM
Glad to see Alcaraz win, he could dominate for the next decade. Also puts a nail in Djokovics ambition to do the calendar slam, while he is a great player he has always been a very hard lad to warm to.

Djokovic is hard to warm to for the conservative mainstream. But he is his own man! And I have grown to admire him for that.

Ghost

Quote from: clarshack on July 16, 2023, 06:57:49 PM
Quote from: Ghost on July 16, 2023, 06:53:58 PM
There is a new man at the helm of mens tennis

Watched it before and after the All-Ireland semi. Was a good Wimbledon Final and the 20 year old Spaniard has a great future now.

Much the same as that. Very impressive to do it considering the way he lost the 1st set. Djokovic very unlikeable to me but you have to admire him. Hopefully a repeat at the us open with Djokovic perhaps turning him over there. Tennis needs Djokovic to keep going because if he doesn't Alcaraz will roll them
All over

mrdeeds

Quote from: From the Bunker on July 16, 2023, 07:03:53 PM

Djokovic is hard to warm to for the conservative mainstream. But he is his own man! And I have grown to admire him for that.

Warmed to him smashing racquets or giving out to crowd for supporting a player. Cheats taking too long serving and as for the break he took today.

yellowcard

I'm neither conservative or mainstream, great player but I just don't like the bloke. Absolutely nothing to do with being an anti vaxxer either if thats what you're referring to.   

GiveItToTheShooters

Djokovic the yap can cry more. Alcaraz is some boy

Milltown Row2

Quote from: GiveItToTheShooters on July 16, 2023, 07:56:18 PM

He's brilliant but I'll judge him when/if he gets to 23 slams or more
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

GiveItToTheShooters

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on July 16, 2023, 08:33:02 PM
Quote from: GiveItToTheShooters on July 16, 2023, 07:56:18 PM

He's brilliant but I'll judge him when/if he gets to 23 slams or more
Judge him whenever you want, he's world number one and Wimbledon champion. The Djokovic fan boys are hurting tonight I see. Alcaraz didn't get out of third gear

Captain Obvious

Quote from: mrdeeds on July 16, 2023, 07:50:33 PM

Warmed to him smashing racquets or giving out to crowd for supporting a player. Cheats taking too long serving and as for the break he took today.
Didn't one of the women get disqualified for throwing her racquet on the ground during the week, must be different rules in men's tennis?

imtommygunn

It was more than once she threw the racquet though. Not sure she lost the match over it but definitely penalised.

gallsman

It's nothing to do with the conservative mainstream ffs. It's because he's a ****!

His entire career is littered with example after example of him being a bellend. He has never and will never be loved by the crowd the way Federer and Nadal were/are and it's always clearly annoyed him.

gallsman

Very good btw! I thought Castle was going to do it again for the final point but he changed it. Even the way Alcaraz feel to the ground was reminiscent of Nadal.

Difference with Alcaraz is that he's won and knocked off Djokovic while still basically learning to play on grass. Nadal possibly should have won in 07 and by the time 08 came around, he'd steamrollered Federer to such an extent in the final of the French that many people fancied him for it. Alcaraz, while number 1, really wasn't supposed to be able to win here just yet, especially after his collapse in the semi at RG.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: gallsman on July 16, 2023, 10:33:49 PM

Very good btw! I thought Castle was going to do it again for the final point but he changed it. Even the way Alcaraz feel to the ground was reminiscent of Nadal.

Difference with Alcaraz is that he's won and knocked off Djokovic while still basically learning to play on grass. Nadal possibly should have won in 07 and by the time 08 came around, he'd steamrollered Federer to such an extent in the final of the French that many people fancied him for it. Alcaraz, while number 1, really wasn't supposed to be able to win here just yet, especially after his collapse in the semi at RG.

We can argue over his attitude, views, personality and whatever else that gets people worked up but he's the best ever at this sport.

Alcaraz is the real deal though, I really hope he brings that to every slam, it's about time that the shadows of Roger, Novak and Nadal are finally slipping off into the sunset
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Orior

How long before start to dislike Alcaraz? Some people can't help but dislike winners.

His vaccine views aside, I always liked Djokovic as he enjoyed a laugh.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

imtommygunn

It was the lies though not the views on the vaccine that a lot had the problem with - that seems to have been completely lost. He was widely disliked before the vaccine stuff tbh. I think he might be more popular after it lol. Definitely, for some reason, he has never had the popularity of Nadal or Federer.