Attendances this year

Started by theskull1, May 13, 2008, 01:12:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

theskull1

Can't quite understand why the GAA has upped their admission prices whenever people are already stretched with the extra heating and travelling costs over the past year or two. Can definately see a marked reduction in attendances this year as a result of the cost of living increases that we have seen. You'd have thought the GAA could have been more responsive? It may have actually brought them better revenue at the year end
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

Bogball XV

Y'see, you just don't understand the gaa's ethos, recently uncovered under a painting in Hayes Hotel, there was a hidden mission statement, it said apparently (as gaelige obviously) that the GAA must strive to maximise profit to the exclusion of all else.  Naturally the GAA were delighted to find this, as they've actually been doing this anyway, but at least this will allow them to justify their actions.

Franko

OK Lads - I would have to agree that the GAA are not very good when it comes to ripping off the paying public but come on here - just as the standard of living has increased so has the cost of running a business (which is essentially what the GAA is) and these costs have to be covered in some way.  Whilst I see that the GAA could maybe have absorbed these higher costs slightly more it should be abundantly obvious as to where they have come from.

Bogball XV

Quote from: Franko on May 13, 2008, 01:51:14 PM
OK Lads - I would have to agree that the GAA are not very good when it comes to ripping off the paying public but come on here - just as the standard of living has increased so has the cost of running a business (which is essentially what the GAA is) and these costs have to be covered in some way.  Whilst I see that the GAA could maybe have absorbed these higher costs slightly more it should be abundantly obvious as to where they have come from.
Well, it's not obvious to me - has pitch hire increased?  Maybe it's the stewarding fees?  Luckily they've just managed to secure a wee bit of extra revenue in the form of their best ever tv rights and sponsorship sales, if they've got higher costs, perhaps they could look to the fact that they've also got extra revenue too and decide to leave prices unchanged.

Bogball XV

Quote from: 5iveTimes on May 13, 2008, 02:15:48 PM
€25 would probably get you 1 months subsciption to Sky Sports, with its player cams, action replays, fan cams, expert analysis from cardboard cut outs like Jamie Redknapp. You might even feel adventurous and enter the Goal of the Month competition and win a signed shirt or a trip to Wembley to watch a bunch of over paid nancy boys.
Or €25 will get you into the thick of the action, a ringside seat, hats flags and headbands, anyone for the last few choc ices, that roar from the crowd with 20 minutes to go, urging their team on, this is our year, theres always next year. Seeing yer man you went to school with, seeing your neighbour with only the keeper to beat, seeing the ball crash off the crossbar.
Its only €25, most of us will only get a few days out. The cute hoors in Kerry will keep their €25 until late July. If you want a signed shirt you always know someone on the team. Its your money, I know where I`ll be on June 8th.
that's precisely the point 5 times, the gaa have a reasonably inelastic demand, so they just decide to throw up the prices as they know they'll get it anyway.  Why do the gaa need to increase their prices?  It's not a professional body, players aren't getting paid, they have excess income, why do they need more??

doire na raithe

Quote from: Franko on May 13, 2008, 01:51:14 PM

...is it?  It was never founded as a business. At what stage has this changed and why are we accepting it?

gwan-ye-boy-ya

€25 would probably get you 1 months subsciption to Sky Sports, with its player cams, action replays, fan cams, expert analysis from cardboard cut outs like Jamie Redknapp. You might even feel adventurous and enter the Goal of the Month competition and win a signed shirt or a trip to Wembley to watch a bunch of over paid nancy boys.
Or €25 will get you into the thick of the action, a ringside seat, hats flags and headbands, anyone for the last few choc ices, that roar from the crowd with 20 minutes to go, urging their team on, this is our year, theres always next year. Seeing yer man you went to school with, seeing your neighbour with only the keeper to beat, seeing the ball crash off the crossbar.
Its only €25, most of us will only get a few days out. The cute hoors in Kerry will keep their €25 until late July. If you want a signed shirt you always know someone on the team. Its your money, I know where I`ll be on June 8th.
thats the passion we need..  :D.. I know where ill be on may 25th

Gnevin

How much have prices gone up by?
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

MaroonAndWhite

Quote from: Gnevin on May 13, 2008, 02:41:47 PM
€20 for terrace, €30 for stand at Pearse Stadium this Sunday.......dont think that has changed from last year.
I wont complain about the price if we beat Ros out the gate!

Gnevin

Quote from: MaroonAndWhite on May 13, 2008, 02:49:45 PM
Quote from: Gnevin on May 13, 2008, 02:41:47 PM
€20 for terrace, €30 for stand at Pearse Stadium this Sunday.......dont think that has changed from last year.
I wont complain about the price if we beat Ros out the gate!
I recall paying about that last year too. Can anyone confirm their is an actual price prise?
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

mylestheslasher

It is not the individual ticket price that is my issue. I would look at this from a family point of view. A trip to casement on Sunday from Cavan for a man and his 3 kids. Lets say the kids are 16, 14 and 12 years old....

Mans Ticket = E18
Kids Tickets = E18 (I don't see any cheap kids ticket prices on the match flyer) = 18 x 3 = 54
Petrol = E40
Bit to eat = E50
Parking = E10

Total = E172

Is that a reasonable price to pay to see a game of football. Maybe it is when you compare to premier league soccer, but it never used to be that expensive to watch GAA matches in the past.

illdecide

will you're wife be at home when you're at the match ???
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

Gnevin

Quote from: mylestheslasher on May 13, 2008, 03:01:31 PM
It is not the individual ticket price that is my issue. I would look at this from a family point of view. A trip to casement on Sunday from Cavan for a man and his 3 kids. Lets say the kids are 16, 14 and 12 years old....

Mans Ticket = E18
Kids Tickets = E18 (I don't see any cheap kids ticket prices on the match flyer) = 18 x 3 = 54
Petrol = E40
Bit to eat = E50
Parking = E10

Total = E172

Is that a reasonable price to pay to see a game of football. Maybe it is when you compare to premier league soccer, but it never used to be that expensive to watch GAA matches in the past.
Did you always have 3 kids in the past?
Would you every feck off for f**k sake , we had this bollox last year . Kids tickets are cheaper ask your county board. Last I heard the GAA weren't either OPEC ,Mc Donald's or Dublin Corporation  so their is nothing they can do about your bit to eat, petrol or parking but here is a few idea's

Loaf of bread and some "hang" 5er , i've saved you 45 euro, turn up early parking is free a other 10 euro . Jasus i'm like Eddies Hobbs here,  40 euro for petrol where you coming from and in what a tank?

Bogball XV

Quote from: 5iveTimes on May 13, 2008, 02:54:22 PM
Quote from: Bogball XV on May 13, 2008, 02:21:04 PM
that's precisely the point 5 times, the gaa have a reasonably inelastic demand, so they just decide to throw up the prices as they know they'll get it anyway.  Why do the gaa need to increase their prices?  It's not a professional body, players aren't getting paid, they have excess income, why do they need more??

Not too long ago it was 3 bars for a £ now its 3 bars for €2. The chocolate is still out of date, but the Football will never be. Its the way of the world, things get dearer. You are earning more now than you ever did. If your team get to the All Ireland in September will you be worried about the price of a ticket?
Indeed, but, as I stated earlier, why do the gaa need to increase their prices?  I can't see why people let this happen year after year, is it because you decide that it's a chance to cream all the bandwagon jumpers who just come to the championship games?  Prices are too expensive and faciltities are generally poor. 
How many first round championship games are going to be a sell out?  Do you think it's justifiable to charge €30 into Clare v Tipp?  Would it not be preferable to have free admission and have a bigger attendance?

mylestheslasher

Quote from: Gnevin on May 13, 2008, 03:42:46 PM
Quote from: mylestheslasher on May 13, 2008, 03:01:31 PM

Mans Ticket = E18
Petrol = E40
Bit to eat = E50
Parking = E10

Total = E172

Did you always have 3 kids in the past?
Would you every feck off for f**k sake , we had this bollox last year . Kids tickets are cheaper ask your county board. Last I heard the GAA weren't either OPEC ,Mc Donald's or Dublin Corporation  so their is nothing they can do about your bit to eat, petrol or parking but here is a few idea's

Loaf of bread and some "hang" 5er , i've saved you 45 euro, turn up early parking is free a other 10 euro . Jasus i'm like Eddies Hobbs here,  40 euro for petrol where you coming from and in what a tank?

I was giving an example of the types of costs that a family would spend to travel to a match - not my own circumstances. Where did I say that the GAA were responsible for food, petrol etc. I have no idea what kids tickets cost but if you look at the match flyer (on the official Antrim vrs Cavan thread) you will see no mention of kids prices. I was also using the cheapest ticket available for the match. Drive from Cavan to Belfast and back next week could easily cost you 40 euro.