Dermot Morgan

Started by Hoof Hearted, February 28, 2008, 10:13:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hoof Hearted

10 years dead today
Father Ted was an all-time classic show which like Only Fools, Fawlty Towers etc will be repeated for ever Amen
Unbelievable that he died the day after filming his last show
Treble 6 Nations Fantasy Rugby champion 2008, 2011 & 2012

ziggysego

10 years...... where has the time gone?

It's a pity RTÉ didn't appreciate him and he had to take his talents to the UK.
Testing Accessibility

5 Sams

Had the pleasure of meeting the man one New Year's Eve in the Shelbourne....he was a pure gentleman and would have stood and chatted all night.
The Aristocrat Years

clarshack

i actually think father ted is funnier now than when it first aired.

Yer Ma

I think that an ongoing shame is that people still think Dougal is the funniest character in the show. Ted is easily the funniest character, and Dermot Morgan played him fantastically - Dougal was essentially very simple to play, though Ardal O'Hanlon did a good job. But there was bit more going on with Ted, the average guy stuck in a job that called for standards of conduct he couldn't keep.

Dermot Morgan used to say to Ardal how it frustrated him that Dougal was seen as the funniest and most popular character, and I could understand this.

Still R.I.P Dermot - that money was just resting in your account. ;)

Doogie Browser

It does get better when you watch it nowadays, but suppose that's what they mean when they say it's timeless.

Remember Wossy hosting the Comedy Awards at the time it was airing, and the Category for Best Sitcom was on, he said 'Now to present the award to Father Ted and announce the rest of the nominees it is..'  Which kinda sums it up really, it was untouchable then and is still relevant today.

corn02

Louth Exile

My favourite sitcom of all time, amazing stuff, as you watch it more you appreciate the whole entity of the show. Each one of the main characters was crucial to the shows success, the writing is amazing and the cameos from anyone who was anyone in the Irish comedy circuit of the time.

I have a DVD of Dermot's stand up show and watched it at Christmas, still makes me laugh. Also have the CD collection of Scrap Saturday, that was more pure genius from Dermot, Pauline Mc Glynn & Gerry Stembridge. Being young enough at the time I didn't appreciate the Flynn stones originally, but listening back now, I get it, brilliant.

A comedy genius - RIP
St. Josephs GFC - SFC Champions 1996 & 2006, IFC Champions 1983, 1990 & 2016 www.thejoesgfc.com

Main Street

He was class act long before Father Ted. The thread reminded me that I have a VHS somewhere of him doing stand up with a sketch amongst others of him taking the piss out of Aherne when he was appointed Minister of Finance.

the Deel Rover

He was brilliant, didn't he play another character Fr Trendy years ago on tv seem to recall him going around with a hurling stick as he gave his sermons
Crossmolina Deel Rovers
All Ireland Club Champions 2001

Main Street

That was on the Live Mike, he would be sitting in the audience, then without warning he would just leap up with hurley stick in hand and start blinding everything - immorality - indecency - youth - sex -  and for good measure climax with smashing the studio furniture with the hurley stick. It would be totally spontaneous, only for the wooden Mike Murphy  you would have thought it for real.

The sermons were a more controlled affair -  Father Trendy,  a Fr. Ted type character some 15 years before it's CH 4 time.

Louth Exile

Matt Copper just said that they are going to broadcasting some classic scrap saturday on the show this evening, I'd guess between 5 & 6 - Today FM 100-102FM
St. Josephs GFC - SFC Champions 1996 & 2006, IFC Champions 1983, 1990 & 2016 www.thejoesgfc.com

ExiledGael

Some brilliant stuff from Tedfest on Today FM around lunchtime. Few clips and played out certain scenes with actors in studio. Was in stitches going up the road.