AFL Invasion

Started by AbbeySider, February 13, 2008, 11:40:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AbbeySider

From the HoganStand...

GAA on red alert amid Aussie scout invasion
13 February 2008

Alarm bells are ringing in the GAA after word spread that Aussie Rules scouts will be placed in all 32 counties to tap emerging talent.

The proposed scheme is the brainchild of agent Ricky Nixon, who will sell information on Ireland's pool of talent to AFL clubs.

Having already lost the likes of Martin Clarke, the O hAilpins, Tadgh Kennelly, Colm Begley, Pierce Hanley, Brendan Murphy and Kevin Dyas to the Aussie code, the GAA will not want the drain of talent to accelerate.

The situation is a grave concern to Association chiefs, who are expected to act quickly in the face of this new threat.

It sounds like the Aussies are stepping up their recruitment of players from Ireland.
The article above sounds a little sensationalist but if there is any truth in it; there is need for concern.

Realistically can anything be done to stop top GAA players from playing in the AFL?
Its not right to place a ban on players who choose to play another sport but is there an alternative?
Is it possible to provide an incentive to stay?   

Aristotle Flynn

Why on earth would they need scouts in All 32 counties?  I could do the Kilkenny scouts job from home.
A tyrant must put on the appearance of uncommon devotion to religion.

feetofflames

Its like this the only way to stop this is to start paying players.  Not everyone will go to Oz, its a big danger.  In Tyrone we have had to my knowledge 4 recent incidents as regards professionalism:
1) The contract Sean Cavanagh turned down
2) The Kyle Coney trial and departure
3) The loss of Niall Mc Ginn to a soccor club
4) The loss of Aidan Mc Carron to a soccor club

The agents will do anything to get a fee in all of this.  You cant blame the players.  We will always lose to guys who want to make their money out of sport and fair play to them iof they are good enough. Then again all due respects they are not really what the GAA is about either.  I know a lot of good players will leave but it must not be let  affect the asociation.
Chief Wiggum

zoyler

I think we can stand the loss of 4/5 players a year and most likely they will not all succede at the highest level.  Don't forget the Aussies are looking for athletes who can adapt to all the running they have to do and there are not many in that category. This new scouiting system is just some guy trying to muscle in and sell his services on an existing situation.  I would be amazed if the clubs did not have there own unofficial scouts here already.

Certainly contact via International Rules should be maintained if only to allow some input into the AFL controling the activities of these agents from a health and safety viewpoint.  The AFL will not want their clubs associated with' fly by nights 'offering kids all sorts of inducements to kids and parents

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: AbbeySider on February 13, 2008, 11:40:30 AM
Realistically can anything be done to stop top GAA players from playing in the AFL?

Short of paying them...no.

corn02

That Ricky Nixon is a crook.

ziggysego

Could be a way of bullying the GAA back into the International Rules 'game'.
Testing Accessibility

full back

Quote from: ziggysego on February 13, 2008, 01:39:06 PM
Could be a way of bullying the GAA back into the International Rules 'game'.

No chance ziggy. The AFL is a business and are perfectly entitled to scout for the best players in the country. The GAA dont offer them this opportunity

BallyhaiseMan

unadulterated Violence twice a year or the poaching of our best young talent, mmmm lovely choice.

AZOffaly

Sure what can you do about it? We can hardly go checking passports at games can we? :D

If the New England Patriots offer Mark Vaughan $100,000 a year to kick field goals wide, we can't stop that either. Barring we start playing our games behind closed doors, and refusing to screen them, there's always going to be the risk that games like this will make contact with a few players every year.

C'est la vie.

irunthev

Who is Ricky Nixon anyway? Can someone enlighten me pelase.

DickyRock

The only thing we can do is to scrap the international rules series for good

Son_of_Sam

We could threathen the E.U. to vote no on the Treaty if they don't threathen to cut of trade with the convicts unless they haul in the AFL.

They fck with the GAA, we send them back to being a colonial backwater.

Don't fck with the Irish  :D

T O Hare

The AFL are a massive threat to our organisation.. they plan to take our best talent before we see the best of them..
They should be seen as the enemy now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
"2008 Gaaboard Cheltenham fantasy league winner"

thebandit

They have taken the 2 best prospective playmakers in Gaelic Football - Clarke (Down) and Hanley (Ros  8)), they seem to have a type of player that they go for, i.e. they dont go for the full-forward/corner-foward types