Help required getting a good mobile phone deal

Started by theskull1, November 02, 2007, 11:06:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

theskull1

Looking to get new phone tariff deals for myself and the missus. Currently with orange

Wife uses about 2-3 Hours talk time and under 100 texts per month
I am under an hour a month talk time and about 30 texts a month

Information overload on the www has left me a bit confused as to what my best way of going about getting the best deal is

Can I get a group deal?
Is it easy to change providers?
Can we keep our old numbers?
Can I use one deal from say O2 to pressure orange into offering me something similar?
I see some online mobile phone companies offering free IPod/Xbox's with their deals. I take it you pay for these gimmicks in other ways?

Any advice appreciated

It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

screenexile

I got my deal through O2online... 18 month contract, free phone with 300 minutes anytime anyfone(Rollover so if I don't use them one month they carry over), 750 texts and limited internet usage (I thought I could check Bebo on my fone but found that it costs a lot to download all the info on a bebo site) you can check sites like BBC, google, gaaboard and gmail which is all I really need. This is £30 a month and the only reason I ever go over this is because of texting friends in the free state or ringing them. THey also let me keep my number from Topup as well so it was all good and so far I can have no complaints about them.

saffron

I have a mate who swears that the best way is to go into one of their shops and haggle - he says that they will always give you a better deal than is advertised just keep at them. I'd say getting two contracts would put you into an even better position.

You can also keep your number.

Balboa

Skull.......I had a contract phone but was costing me a fortune, i got an orange sim and if i get 300 free txts a month if i top up £10 per month, you also get "Magic Numbers", a maximum of 5 numbers (must be orange) and you can ring them for up to an hour and only costs 15p. The £10 top up usually does me all month.

supersarsfields

Does anyone know if 02 do any sort of a bolt on for cheaper calls to the south? I'm out a fortune on them!!

theskull1

What did the SIM cost you Rocky? And what are the talk charging rates on that?

Goats...thanks for the link....Is there a catch with those cashback offers from intermediary companies?
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

Balboa

Quote from: theskull1 on November 02, 2007, 12:08:59 PM

Goats...thanks for the link....Is there a catch with those cashback offers from intermediary companies?

The sim is free, i think calls to other mobiles are about 25-30p per min, thing about pay-and-go is you have to keep it short and sweet, keep it to "one liners"    BOOM BOOM  :D  :D  :D

Candyman

i have an 18month contract from 02 online... 600 anytime cross-network mins a month and 1000 texts. good deal with roll-over mins to be used the following month and no paperwork. monthly bill is received online each month... £35/month

parttimeexile

On vodafone the friends and family is a great job. You can nominate 5 numbers and the calls to them are unlimited. It only costs one of the 5 people 4 or 5 pound per mont So if you or the missus got it you would be ringing eachother for free.Think its still going.

Can anyone recommend a good phone! My contract is up and am need to get a new phone.

Lecale2

Quote from: theskull1 on November 02, 2007, 12:08:59 PM

I got my daughter an Orange contract through Carfone Warehouse. You claim cash back every 3 or 4 months. The cheque always arrives promptly. I reckon the catch is that some punters forget to claim.

Bensars

Go out and buy the "the  sun" or "mirror" or some redtop.

Go to the back beside the sports section and you will find some of the latest deals. These are usually as competitive as anywhere plus you will get a free PSP or X box or something like it.

You then have the option of phoning whatever network supplier you want and get them to pricematch

Candyman

Forgot to mention 02 were offering a free ipod when i started my contract and i also received a free memory card....

nifan

Quote from: supersarsfields on November 02, 2007, 12:05:05 PM
Does anyone know if 02 do any sort of a bolt on for cheaper calls to the south? I'm out a fortune on them!!

Aye they have a bolt on which gives cheaper calls and 10p texts to the south.