Are the "one liners" ruining the board?

Started by theskull1, October 02, 2007, 09:43:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

theskull1

QuoteDebate
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Debate (North American English) or debating (British English) is a formal method of interactive and position representational argument. Debate is a broader form of argument than logical argument, since it includes persuasion which appeals to the emotional responses of an audience, and rules enabling people to discuss and decide on differences, within a framework defining how they will interact. Informal debate is a common occurrence, but the quality and depth of a debate improves with knowledge and skill of its participants as debaters.

I have grown more and more frustrated by the growing number of members who seem to be unable to post anything more than a few words at a time. They like jumping into multiple threads and then post something that adds nothing whatsoever to the discussion rather than engage in debate. I.e Answer questions that have been posed before giving you own thoughts and maybe ask a few questions yourself where you can expect a reply to them. Of course there are times when one line is enough, but I think you know the type of posters I'm talking about

Is it not in everyones interests to resist these dumbing down attitudes and behaviors and encourage alternatives?

theskull1 (taking himself seriously)  :-\
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

Balboa

In answering the question in the thread, no.

Bensars

Quote from: theskull1 on October 02, 2007, 09:43:55 AM
QuoteDebate
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Debate (North American English) or debating (British English) is a formal method of interactive and position representational argument. Debate is a broader form of argument than logical argument, since it includes persuasion which appeals to the emotional responses of an audience, and rules enabling people to discuss and decide on differences, within a framework defining how they will interact. Informal debate is a common occurrence, but the quality and depth of a debate improves with knowledge and skill of its participants as debaters.

I have grown more and more frustrated by the growing number of members who seem to be unable to post anything more than a few words at a time. They like jumping into multiple threads and then post something that adds nothing whatsoever to the discussion rather than engage in debate. I.e Answer questions that have been posed before giving you own thoughts and maybe ask a few questions yourself where you can expect a reply to them. Of course there are times when one line is enough, but I think you know the type of posters I'm talking about

Is it not in everyones interests to resist these dumbing down attitudes and behaviors and encourage alternatives?

theskull1 (taking himself seriously)  :-\

Correcto

theskull1

I need to understand why you think that Rocky. Could you elaborate as to why you hold that opinion?
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

Balboa

Quote from: theskull1 on October 02, 2007, 09:53:06 AM
I need to understand why you think that Rocky. Could you elaborate as to why you hold that opinion?

I could elaborate but it may stretch to more than one line.

Chrisowc

it's 'circle the wagons time again' here comes the cavalry!

whiskeysteve

Somewhere, somehow, someone's going to pay: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPhISgw3I2w

Orior

Bensars, please ask your avatar to put a tee shirt on. I'm trying to work here!
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

deiseach

What rubbish. Have a look at Evil Genius' blockbuster replies to see the truth of the old adage that brevity is the soul of wit

Louth Exile

Quote from: Orior on October 02, 2007, 11:16:10 AM
Bensars, please ask your avatar to put a tee shirt on. I'm trying to work here!

Its strangely hypnotic!!

I find that when posting myself I can sometimes ramble and often a bit more brevity would be advisable, still I see where you are coming from Skull
St. Josephs GFC - SFC Champions 1996 & 2006, IFC Champions 1983, 1990 & 2016 www.thejoesgfc.com

Billys Boots

QuoteI find that when posting myself I can sometimes ramble and often a bit more brevity would be advisable, still I see where you are coming from Skull

I think he means the exact opposite LE.  ;)
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

small white mayoman

All Ireland Champions 2006 & 2007

Balboa

Have we not lost some of the "better members" as you put it because they fell out with someone on the board?With the amount of members on the board you are going to get a total cross section of people, some on for a bit of s*it stirring, some on for information, some on to do a bit of slagging. My advice is if you dont like how a thread is going, exit it to the left

ziggysego

Oh for fu...

I don't have a social life. That's why my post counts are so high. Why would anyone want to emulate that?  :D
Testing Accessibility

Balboa

Quote from: 5iveTimes on October 02, 2007, 03:34:55 PM
So if you dont like the way the board is going you should exit to the left as well then?
The vast majority of posters on the board have their own opinions and have something to add to the board. Of course there will be disagreements and fallouts, but at least these people can string a sentence together and can hold their own in an argument. I pulled Hardstation up for his needless posting at the weekend and he replied, true to form, that I was an "ignornat ****"
I rest my case.

That is the point i am trying to make. Due to the amount of members you are going to get people of varying intellect, background & motive. So what do you propose, an IQ test for new members.