Antrim Football Thread

Started by theskull1, November 09, 2006, 11:48:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

country bumpkin

Quote from: Saffsof82 on July 22, 2022, 11:59:52 PM
Quote from: EOC1923 on July 22, 2022, 11:49:01 PM
Quote from: Saffsof82 on July 22, 2022, 11:30:41 PM
Quote from: bannside on July 22, 2022, 10:18:55 AM
On a serious note, St Brigid's look to be getting their act together at juvenile level. Strong at U13,  U15 and U17. Could be a conveyor belt that delivers St Brigid's into a top two or three club in the coming years if they can keep them.

Conveyer belt in fine BS, but has to be end product. Serious questions need asked at senior level at Musgrave Park. Too much talent being wasted or not even given a chance.

Would mostly agree EOC, huge numbers at juvenile. But having watched the senior set up at last number of years I get the impression there is no long term plan. Tried to be bully boys for the first few league games, lol, don't have the personnel for that, so where to now?
What talent Bs? name one player other than James Loughrey produced that was top class. It's a numbers game at u12-16 they do well at these ages yes. Their senior team hasn't made any headway in last 15 years. I don't see that changing anytime soon.

Conveyer of talent within is great but without the basic ingredient of loyalty and in pursuit of honours for your club/parish such is lost....

delgany

Quote from: country bumpkin on July 26, 2022, 01:38:24 PM
Quote from: Saffsof82 on July 22, 2022, 11:59:52 PM
Quote from: EOC1923 on July 22, 2022, 11:49:01 PM
Quote from: Saffsof82 on July 22, 2022, 11:30:41 PM
Quote from: bannside on July 22, 2022, 10:18:55 AM
On a serious note, St Brigid's look to be getting their act together at juvenile level. Strong at U13,  U15 and U17. Could be a conveyor belt that delivers St Brigid's into a top two or three club in the coming years if they can keep them.

Conveyer belt in fine BS, but has to be end product. Serious questions need asked at senior level at Musgrave Park. Too much talent being wasted or not even given a chance.

Would mostly agree EOC, huge numbers at juvenile. But having watched the senior set up at last number of years I get the impression there is no long term plan. Tried to be bully boys for the first few league games, lol, don't have the personnel for that, so where to now?
What talent Bs? name one player other than James Loughrey produced that was top class. It's a numbers game at u12-16 they do well at these ages yes. Their senior team hasn't made any headway in last 15 years. I don't see that changing anytime soon.

Conveyer of talent within is great but without the basic ingredient of loyalty and in pursuit of honours for your club/parish such is lost....

Defections to water -,polo has had an impact, big sickener for sure !

paddyjohn

So Creggan pulled out of their final Div 2 hurling game against Carey and in doing so they handed the title to Carey, not much fair play shown to the chasing packs

Pulling out all stops to ensure lads are fit for the SFC. 🤔

Milltown Row2

Quote from: paddyjohn on July 26, 2022, 10:20:28 PM
So Creggan pulled out of their final Div 2 hurling game against Carey and in doing so they handed the title to Carey, not much fair play shown to the chasing packs

Did they play Tir na Og or was that handed to them also?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Walter Cronc

Would the issue facing the Belfast clubs be player retention from 18 years onwards? I'd imagine growing up in Belfast theres a good chance you'd head to uni elsewhere? Down south or UK? Not like us culchies who are dying to get up to the big smoke!

paddyjohn

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on July 26, 2022, 10:36:55 PM

Handed to them also I believe.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Walter Cronc on July 26, 2022, 10:43:54 PM
Would the issue facing the Belfast clubs be player retention from 18 years onwards? I'd imagine growing up in Belfast theres a good chance you'd head to uni elsewhere? Down south or UK? Not like us culchies who are dying to get up to the big smoke!

We've 3 senior teams at football 2 at hurling... kids come and go most kids stay at home for college, the problem is you can only play 15 some lose interest or can't be bothered to fight for their place
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

delgany

Quote from: Walter Cronc on July 26, 2022, 10:43:54 PM
That would be a fair point !

imtommygunn

Creggan ld Sunday could be a good one. Johnnies and st galls too.

I would have thought city players more likely to stay home for university.

country bumpkin

Quote from: paddyjohn on July 26, 2022, 11:33:06 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on July 26, 2022, 10:36:55 PM

Handed to them also I believe.

Creggan,have been in a very generous mode recently making concessions to their neighbours.....Cargin in reserve league before those concessions in hurling.

Generosity indeed....but costly according to rule.....

EOC1923

Creggan seem to have a panel of 40 looking at their senior team getting the league trophy, so on one hand its surprising they are conceding reserve games. On the other hand the reserve league is a farce and conceding games in it is all too easy done, a good training session would be more beneficial.

breakingball

I hope all teams pulling out of games are fined accordingly, makes a farce of the whole thing

paddyjohn

I see Dunloy conceded also in Div1 to Cushendall.

Poor form from all concerned.

Spike

concerning that it is so easily done.   we always hear from the clubs about the issues with fixtures but seemingly it suits some to do as they please.

Flanker

Quote from: Spike on July 27, 2022, 09:52:58 AM
concerning that it is so easily done.   we always hear from the clubs about the issues with fixtures but seemingly it suits some to do as they please.

Would starting on - 6 points in the following years league be enough of a deterrent. Would put most teams bar the top handful in a tricky enough spot.
Reserve leagues will always be difficult to manage though