Antrim Football Thread

Started by theskull1, November 09, 2006, 11:48:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

imtommygunn

Quote from: Saffsof82 on May 30, 2022, 11:04:23 AM
Quote from: EOC1923 on May 30, 2022, 10:24:06 AM
Heard great reports of the u20 management. Minors, not so sure if was or wasn't a good setup but I do know a lot of effort went in regardless. The minor appointment is a more important one for Antrim than the senior one if you ask me.

Spot on EOC.
U20 management this year were very switched on and more than half of their squad back next year, think they are good men and would be more than happy to see them stay on for a few years.
Minor is a huge one, need to get a high quality manager and equally high quality coaches around him and again keep them in place for a number of years, and no dotting daddies.

Is that the boy originally from Fermanagh?

country bumpkin

Think we may well have to take what we get rather than what we want/need when we appoint a successor to Enda, Stehen, and Sean.
Cannot envisage a long list of applicants...

Do think we may well rue the day we heaped negativity on the manager who managed to take us if from the lowest division?

Will we be prepared to move upwards next season or will we be back at basement level 2024......

imtommygunn

We talk about heaping negativity here CB... is this board indicative of how people were feeling? If so through what vehicle was negativity heaped on him? (I'm not disagreeing with you just wondering how the negativity gets through as let's be honest you would imagine people on a discussion board are fairly inconsequential in the grand scheme of things).

I worry about where we go from here tbh.

Milltown Row2

Hopefully the new manager doesn't read the ramblings of the posters on here and take it seriously
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

country bumpkin

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on May 30, 2022, 01:10:14 PM
Hopefully the new manager doesn't read the ramblings of the posters on here and take it seriously

Well was at Whitehill yesterday and all he individuals I spoke to.....home and away are aware of the 'ramblings' on this board. Seems the whole world and his ma are looking on..

EOC1923

Internal options (these ppl are currently manging in senior club football) are;
Gerard McNulty
Kevin Madden
John McKeever
Hugh McGettigan
McNulty the  most likely I would say. Externally I suppose there are endless options. We would need to think outside the box on this one

Milltown Row2

Quote from: country bumpkin on May 30, 2022, 01:27:03 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on May 30, 2022, 01:10:14 PM

Well was at Whitehill yesterday and all he individuals I spoke to.....home and away are aware of the 'ramblings' on this board. Seems the whole world and his ma are looking on..

So rather than reporting on the game your asking people about the gaa board? Strange.. Even more strange people are concerned about the ramblings of posters on here..

I suppose the Duneane Massive will take in some of Randalstown
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Milltown Row2

Quote from: EOC1923 on May 30, 2022, 01:32:27 PM
Gerard McNulty
Kevin Madden
John McKeever
Hugh McGettigan
McNulty the  most likely I would say. Externally I suppose there are endless options. We would need to think outside the box on this one

Madden would be the one most likely as McKeever has just taken on his own club and I'd assume be tied to them, Hugh probably not has experience of taking the minors and so on and a great fella. Why not Cassidy if you are thinking outside the box?

Knows Antrim football, is successful and passionate about football, can bring in all players from the clubs and drive them on

EOC1923

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on May 30, 2022, 01:37:34 PM
Gerard McNulty
Kevin Madden
John McKeever
Hugh McGettigan

Madden would be the one most likely as McKeever has just taken on his own club and I'd assume be tied to them, Hugh probably not has experience of taking the minors and so on and a great fella. Why not Cassidy if you are thinking outside the box?

Knows Antrim football, is successful and passionate about football, can bring in all players from the clubs and drive them on
Hes committed to taking his own club for next 5 years

Milltown Row2

Quote from: EOC1923 on May 30, 2022, 01:38:33 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on May 30, 2022, 01:37:34 PM
Gerard McNulty
Kevin Madden
John McKeever
Hugh McGettigan

Hes committed to taking his own club for next 5 years

Fair enough, that's commitment.

Ross Carr currently taking Ardoyne, after a poor enough introduction to Antrim football I think he's starting to get his head around things with the team, and they have produced some great performances lately. Obviously there is a huge step up.

Gerard could be tempted I suppose what about the likes of McEntee or even Peter Canavan

edit:
Malachy O'Rourke?

NatSoSaff

Quote from: imtommygunn on May 30, 2022, 12:21:26 PM
Heard great reports of the u20 management. Minors, not so sure if was or wasn't a good setup but I do know a lot of effort went in regardless. The minor appointment is a more important one for Antrim than the senior one if you ask me.

Spot on EOC.
U20 management this year were very switched on and more than half of their squad back next year, think they are good men and would be more than happy to see them stay on for a few years.
Minor is a huge one, need to get a high quality manager and equally high quality coaches around him and again keep them in place for a number of years, and no dotting daddies.

Yes Niall Jackman. The u20 set up was very positive from what I've heard also. In regards to seniors I would hope clubs get a chance to put forward nominations, as well as the board forming a management selection committee to look into assembling a couple of potentials management tickets for consideration. I really don't think we are as unattractive a prospect as people on here make out. I'd like to see Kevin madden considered again but he would need a good team of selectors and coaches around him. I think it could work.

imtommygunn

Quote from: NatSoSaff on May 30, 2022, 01:55:02 PM
Quote from: imtommygunn on May 30, 2022, 12:21:26 PM

Spot on EOC.

Yes Niall Jackman. The u20 set up was very positive from what I've heard also. In regards to seniors I would hope clubs get a chance to put forward nominations, as well as the board forming a management selection committee to look into assembling a couple of potentials management tickets for consideration. I really don't think we are as unattractive a prospect as people on here make out. I'd like to see Kevin madden considered again but he would need a good team of selectors and coaches around him. I think it could work.

Strongly agree with this.

Yeah Madden at some point has to be given the role I would have thought so why not now.

BrendanAntrim

3 years ago we played Derry in a Div 4 league game in Corrigan, where aided by a dubious call by the ref (we should have had a penalty when he gave a 14 yard free for a technical foul by keeper), Derry won by a point. We know what has happened since then.

So what's the difference? Don't think Derry have introduced a big number of new players, in fact RG has stated that the fewer personnel changes the better. They did get Conor Glass back and he has made a difference. Is it primarily the manager (management team), attitude, training methods, commitment? Like, they have gone from Div 4 to Ulster champions. In same period our progress has been limited and in championship terms, non existent.

Very frustrating. I was glad for them yesterday but still, very frustrating.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: BrendanAntrim on May 30, 2022, 03:21:43 PM
3 years ago we played Derry in a Div 4 league game in Corrigan, where aided by a dubious call by the ref (we should have had a penalty when he gave a 14 yard free for a technical foul by keeper), Derry won by a point. We know what has happened since then.

So what's the difference? Don't think Derry have introduced a big number of new players, in fact RG has stated that the fewer personnel changes the better. They did get Conor Glass back and he has made a difference. Is it primarily the manager (management team), attitude, training methods, commitment? Like, they have gone from Div 4 to Ulster champions. In same period our progress has been limited and in championship terms, non existent.

Very frustrating. I was glad for them yesterday but still, very frustrating.

Who was the manager that day?

BrendanAntrim