Antrim Football Thread

Started by theskull1, November 09, 2006, 11:48:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bannside

Its Endas gig. He chooses the back up on his management team and in turn they collectively decide on what players they want to go bat for them. They then get judged on how that collective performs. It's the same in every county (or club for that matter).

This Tailltean Cup programme will let us know more about the wellbeing of the camp. We arnt the hardest supporters to please, all we expect to see is a couple of good competitive performances, a win or two preferably on the way.

What no one wants to see is another capitulation, the throwing away of a ten point lead or something like that.

bannside

The straight knockout is just this year, the competition reverts to round robin group stages next year. If it's seen as a place to give a run out or two to a few under 20s then the competition is doomed. It needs to be really worth going after, a valued and competitive competition if it's going to have any future.

Saffsof82

Quote from: bannside on May 12, 2022, 09:37:02 AM
The straight knockout is just this year, the competition reverts to round robin group stages next year. If it's seen as a place to give a run out or two to a few under 20s then the competition is doomed. It needs to be really worth going after, a valued and competitive competition if it's going to have any future.

well where do we give our young players a chance? We didnt in the league and not in the championship, even when the game was gone against cavan. The age profile of our senior team is worrying, if the older statesmen all decided to retire at one time we would be in a real handling. Heery, Boyle, walsh, hynds should all have been getting minutes, big Pat got a few near the end of the season.

rogercasement

Lads forget about county fudball, club is the only show in town.

bannside

I don't know Saffs. I suppose the place for these guys to catch the eye is at training or in house games. If they are good enough the cream will rise to the top, and without doubt we need more punch in the forward line. It would be great if a few younger players came out of the pack, but who's knocking on the door?

Straightaway I'd have Sean O Neill and Sean Duffin on the panel, they hold most appeal to me. Have they been called up?

Saffsof82

Quote from: bannside on May 12, 2022, 10:11:31 AM
I don't know Saffs. I suppose the place for these guys to catch the eye is at training or in house games. If they are good enough the cream will rise to the top, and without doubt we need more punch in the forward line. It would be great if a few younger players came out of the pack, but who's knocking on the door?

Straightaway I'd have Sean O Neill and Sean Duffin on the panel, they hold most appeal to me. Have they been called up?

Dont think either has Bs, Heery got called up (gk) but then Chris Kerr was brought in from hibernation in the Twittersphere to cover Mick in goal against Cavan a week before the game! some message that to young Heery.

BrendanAntrim

The draw for the Tailteann Cup is going to be on a regionalised basis, North and South. So the likelihood is we will get another dour Ulster derby. Antrim v Down I suppose would garner interest but another game v Cavan...or Fermanagh, not so much.

Saffsof82

Quote from: BrendanAntrim on May 12, 2022, 10:17:30 AM
The draw for the Tailteann Cup is going to be on a regionalised basis, North and South. So the likelihood is we will get another dour Ulster derby. Antrim v Down I suppose would garner interest but another game v Cavan...or Fermanagh, not so much.

Wee trip on a Saturday evening to Carrick on Shannon would be good, great spot for a few beers after a game.

EOC1923

Quote from: bannside on May 12, 2022, 10:11:31 AM

Sean o neill has

paddyjohn

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on May 12, 2022, 08:39:06 AM
Quote from: bannside on May 12, 2022, 07:41:16 AM
Glenravel coming strong and supplying lots of players to county development squads and under 17s and 20s. Their club juvenile teams flying too, yet another SW club on a very definite progress curve. Going to get stronger now year on year too.

The Ardoyne result is a real head scratcher. Fair play to them, let's them see that glimpse of potential that they can aim to deliver on more consistent basis. Division two is really competitive this year.

Struggling with your geography, you'll be telling me Ballycastle is in the SW also  :D

Glenravel played SW underage Football and NA hurling when it was a regional competition opposed to the all county one we have at the minute. I think that's why they are a SW club. Ballycastle also played underage SW for a year or 2 I think.

Would ye whist

Speaking to a St Paul's man there at work and it seems they feel very sore at last night's result, they feel they did not stand a chance with the official last night, the game wasn't even 60/40 in decisions more like 80/20...............................

Glenravel coming strong and supplying lots of players to county development squads and under 17s and 20s. Their club juvenile teams flying too, yet another SW club on a very definite progress curve. Going to get stronger now year on year too.

The Ardoyne result is a real head scratcher. Fair play to them, let's them see that glimpse of potential that they can aim to deliver on more consistent basis. Division two is really competitive this year.

paddyjohn

Quote from: Would ye whist on May 12, 2022, 03:56:45 PM
Speaking to a St Paul's man there at work and it seems they feel very sore at last night's result, they feel they did not stand a chance with the official last night, the game wasn't even 60/40 in decisions more like 80/20...............................

Even the refs have a pick on the chip eaters now 🙄

Dunsilly King

I went and looked the result first and then pissed myself laughing. Blaming the ref for them only scoring 3 points. Thats a hammering.

Very quiet reporting on the games yesterday evening here. I guess there were no scraps involving Casements ;)

Would ye whist

Apparently it's 'personal' and the wee Derry ref has it in for St Paul's as a club! Seems a strange vendetta to choose but each to their own 🤷‍♂️

Quote from: Dunsilly King on May 12, 2022, 05:17:58 PM

I went and looked the result first and then pissed myself laughing. Blaming the ref for them only scoring 3 points. Thats a hammering.

Very quiet reporting on the games yesterday evening here. I guess there were no scraps involving Casements ;)

Lár na páirce 1

Quote from: bannside on May 12, 2022, 08:42:59 AM
Of course every county will ship a few players who upon reflection arnt sitting as high in the managers pecking order as they would like. Antrim won't be only county in this position.

Your sentiments are noble EOC, but in real world there is a massive committment level involved and if you aren't seeing much (or in Eunans case any) game time, then I can understand why that player would want to transfer that committment level to their club.

To emphasise that point I ask you do you think Mick Tomas or James would be hanging around to play Tailltean Cup this year if they hadn't featured in the recent championship contest. We all know the answer is either definitely not, or extremely doubtful.

Won't be any Mick or Tomas from what I'm hearing and James possibly also,let's see how it plays out I guess watch this space 🤔