Ulster Senior Football Club Championship 2009

Started by drici, August 18, 2009, 10:35:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

saffron sam2

Whilst I am loath to measure someone's 'greatness' based on what they may or may not have won, I would like to distil oakleafgael's list somewhat.

Quote from: oakleafgael on December 01, 2009, 09:05:19 AM
Sam,

I should have included you along with the slaphead.

Johnny has won the following, I could have missed one or two.

An Ulster Minor County Champioship, they where beat in the final of the All Ireland the same year.

2 Ulster Minor Clubs

An Ulster U21 win along with two final defeats.

An All Ireland U21 when he was captain of a great team.

An Ulster Senior along with two losers medals, he scored 1-3 in the final against Armagh and was the best footballer on the park.

Two National Leagues and a losers medal, maybe beat in two finals?

Two Derry Senior Championships and an Ulster Club Championship.

What St Galls man has won more than that, dont be including Mickey Mouse hurling competitions either.

What you really meant to say then was:

An Ulster Minor Championship with Derry.

2 Ulster Minor Clubs with Loup.

An Ulster U21 and All Ireland U21 with Derry.

An Ulster Senior Championship with Derry (as an unused sub).

Two National Leagues with Derry (one as an unused sub).

Two Derry Senior Championships and an Ulster Club Championship with Loup.

A McLarnon and an All-Ireland B with a girls' school.

Quite impressive.

Before we get some of the gallsmen in to list their achievements, are you giving any weightings to these medals?

I'll ask a boy in work at lunchtime and we'll see what he has won.
the breathing of the vanished lies in acres round my feet

tonesfirstandlast

Quote from: saffron sam2 on December 01, 2009, 10:43:01 AM
Whilst I am loath to measure someone's 'greatness' based on what they may or may not have won, I would like to distil oakleafgael's list somewhat.

Sam,

An Ulster Minor County Champioship, they where beat in the final of the All Ireland the same year.

2 Ulster Minor Clubs

An Ulster Senior along with two losers medals, he scored 1-3 in the final against Armagh and was the best footballer on the park.

What St Galls man has won more than that, dont be including Mickey Mouse hurling competitions either.

Quite impressive.

Before we get some of the gallsmen in to list their achievements, are you giving any weightings to these medals?

Her'll be light in the county department!

saffron sam2

Her'll be light alright, but, as Sunday demonstrated, that is merely an accident of birth and not a reflection on his ability.

Chances are though that he's only an Ulster minor, Ulster and All-Ireland under-21 and a National Football League medal (won by breaking sweat) shy of Mr McBride. The under-21 competition is largely an irrelevance, few counties take it seriously.

He may out do him on all most other fronts though.

Again, neither list will be an indicator of greatness.

screenexile

Quote from: tonesfirstandlast on December 01, 2009, 10:50:29 AM
Quote from: saffron sam2 on December 01, 2009, 10:43:01 AM

Sam,

2 Ulster Minor Clubs

Quite impressive.

Her'll be light in the county department!

I'd imagine they are all club Honours with 8 Antrim Senior Championships probably 1 or 2 Minors, 2 Ulster Senior and 2 All Ireland 7s?

I wouldn't quite equate an All Ireland 7's title with an U21 title but maybe... at a stretch... you could say it's equal to an All Ireland B Title with "The Best School in South Derry".

In my opinion I would still say that McBride's CV is more impressive than anyone on the Gall's team.

stephenite

Quote from: saffron sam2 on December 01, 2009, 10:57:48 AM
Her'll be light alright, but, as Sunday demonstrated, that is merely an accident of birth and not a reflection on his ability.

Chances are though that he's only an Ulster minor, Ulster and All-Ireland under-21 and a National Football League medal (won by breaking sweat) shy of Mr McBride. The under-21 competition is largely an irrelevance, few counties take it seriously.

Rubbish

screenexile

Holy God!!!! I almost forgot McBride's single greatest achievement which NO-ONE in St. Gall's has matched!

Getting Peter Canavan sent off in the All Ireland Quarter Final in 2001 was probably one of my finest memories

saffron sam2

Quote from: stephenite on December 01, 2009, 11:03:54 AM

Rubbish

Did you ghost write "Harte: Presence is the only thing"?

stephenite

Quote from: saffron sam2 on December 01, 2009, 11:08:11 AM
Quote from: stephenite on December 01, 2009, 11:03:54 AM

Rubbish

Did you ghost write "Harte: Presence is the only thing"?

No, why?

saffron sam2

Because of the overuse of the one word 'Rubbish' to refute points made that are at odds with the opinion of Mickey Harte.

Rubbish.

oakleafgael

Its up to the man who won them to decide what he holds as most important imo. I would think 90% of people would say it would be anything won with the club. Nice to see you couldnt resist a smart arsed comment about a "girls" school. As a matter of interest what counties dont take the U21 competiton seriously.

SambaSaffron

This is a pointless debate. I don't even know what Sam is trying to achieve with the "girls school" comment. There s no doubting that both McBride and most of the Galls lads have a lot of honours. Johnny's is a bit more widespread, and includes the coveted All-Ireland, won as captain. But there is no point in comparing the 2.

stephenite

Quote from: saffron sam2 on December 01, 2009, 11:12:39 AM
Because of the overuse of the one word 'Rubbish' to refute points made that are at odds with the opinion of Mickey Harte.

Rubbish.

Just an economic use of one word to react to a patent piece of, well rubbish. If Antrim don't take the U-21 competition seriously they are in the minority, but it might explain a lot.

saffron sam2

Quote from: oakleafgael on December 01, 2009, 11:13:18 AM
Its up to the man who won them to decide what he holds as most important imo. I would think 90% of people would say it would be anything won with the club.

So the club is more important, yet a St. Gall's man with eight senior county and two Ulsters has a less impressive cv than a Loup man with two and one respectively. Strange.

Nice to see you couldnt resist a smart arsed comment about a "girls" school.

That's for my Draperstown friend (who started this shite) as you could possibly have guessed had you read his response to my post.

As a matter of interest what counties dont take the U21 competiton seriously.

Off the top of your head, name the last three All-Ireland under 21 winners and the provincial winners in each of those years. I know Down lost to Cork this year, but beyond that I have no idea. And if Down were taking it seriously, if it was a serious competition why was their manager not considered for the senior job.

I would suggest that neither your county nor mine take the under-21s seriously. if they did, they would have different managers for each team.

tonesfirstandlast

Screenexile. I didn't know that McBride went to St. Mary's Colege Clady.

screenexile

Quote from: saffron sam2 on December 01, 2009, 11:25:18 AM
Its up to the man who won them to decide what he holds as most important imo. I would think 90% of people would say it would be anything won with the club.

So the club is more important, yet a St. Gall's man with eight senior county and two Ulsters has a less impressive cv than a Loup man with two and one respectively. Strange.

Nice to see you couldnt resist a smart arsed comment about a "girls" school.

That's for my Draperstown friend (who started this shite) as you could possibly have guessed had you read his response to my post.

As a matter of interest what counties dont take the U21 competiton seriously.

Off the top of your head, name the last three All-Ireland under 21 winners and the provincial winners in each of those years. I know Down lost to Cork this year, but beyond that I have no idea. And if Down were taking it seriously, if it was a serious competition why was their manager not considered for the senior job.

I would suggest that neither your county nor mine take the under-21s seriously. if they did, they would have different managers for each team.

I suppose I did start it with a throwaway remark but in fairness there was A LOT of crap talked about McBride which I probably shouldn't have risen to.

People have been saying it depends on where you're born but the Loup is a TINY club in comparison to Gall's and I would hesitantly say that their Club Achievements would rank alongside that of Gall's in the grand scheme of things and add together McBrides achievements with the County then I would say he is a more decorated player.

As for the great St. Pat's v Convent debate... well I should probably just forget about that! The future is looking up for St. Mary's though.