Ulster Senior Football Club Championship 2009

Started by drici, August 18, 2009, 10:35:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brick Tamlin

if your granny had balls shed be your granda.

i just dont think that your appeals hold much weight mainly due to the way you air your grievances.

oakleafgael

Quote from: Gold on November 30, 2009, 08:53:04 PM
Quote from: Mid Down Gael on November 30, 2009, 08:05:15 PM
Quote from: gallsman on November 30, 2009, 12:24:32 PM
Quote from: Gold on November 29, 2009, 07:07:22 PM
Awesome peformance by St Galls today, delighted they played to their potential. As said before they've always had the skills but now the majority of the lads are peaking physically and they dont look like they can be stopped.

They tanked Loup who were beaten by a far superior team, both physically and skills wise.

The whole team were great and Niblock in particular won a sight of ball--he was flying and so powerful he couldnt be stopped all day, some change from his performance at the same ground v Cross 2 years ago, he's come on bucketloads since then.

Best bit of the game was when Aidso did as he did in the semi v Clontibret --Aidso hand passed the ball over Aidan McAlynn along the sideline with about 5 mins to go --McAlynn then went to 'do' Aidso as he was left open after he played the ball, but Aidso just quickly tightened himself in and buried McAlynn onto his arse. He then stood over McAlynn and looked down at him, McAlynn got up and hit Aidso a crap punch the stomach--Aidso just laughed at him and shook his head. Good moment

Either that or the moment Karl came on. His man started jabbing him in the back as soon as Karl ran over to him. Ginge jumped round and made as if he was going to dig him and your man shit a brick. Really great performance by St. Gall's, although I was disappointed to see them starting to mess around towards he end. As someone said earlier, Niblock was absolutely awesome, even though defenders tried to wipe him our on several occasions. Saw him after the match and he had a black eye the size of an apple. Although Aidso won MOTM, I think Sean Burke should get a lot of praise as well- best performance I've seen from him at senior.

Nothing less than the All-Ireland will do now. I remember being in the club the night of the Salthill match and Gribbies was crying into a pint and wondering how on earth he'd ever get to play in Croke Park again. Well, they're just one game away from it now. Shows the belief is finally there in the squad that they deserve to be ranked up with the best teams in the country.

Will the bookies have them favourites?

McAlynn was nipping flat out against Kilcoo also and got roasted by a teenager. He is one off those players that needs the top row took out the way he behaves.

Exactly, it was McAlynn who was the one digging at Karl Stewart when he came on. In fairness though McAlynn is only a young naive fella and probably just learnt to try and act the hard man from others (previously mentioned) in his team. The trouble is although he's a big young fella he hasnt properly filled out and for all his wee digs and tryin to 'do' Aidso, he is not strong enough (yet) to properly do that carry on.

Re McBride--i meant it and players of his ilk --it just genuinely is so boring to watch from a neutral perspective. These are our games and we need to showcase them at their best. I undertand if its your own club/ county you'd be happy just to win, no matter how you do --but from a neutral point of view seeing old (warhorses) resorting to dragging down opponents (cheating) to win and slowing down a game is terrible to watch. I didnt put £20 in the tank to drive to Newry to pay a tenner to watch that --i was delighted with McEnaney's call--someone before said it was a wrong call --it wasnt--he was facing me in the middle of the field--he was actually well past Gribbies and should have pushed on but Mc Bride waited for him and put his arm back to grab Gribbies--was very obvious--he didnt even do it on McEnaney's blind side--i understand you have to play to your strengths--in a way its commendable that a man like McBride--with little zip left in his legs at this stage of his career could drag his team to an Ulster Final, no matter what means he uses --but its great when teams play to their strengths and when those strengths are so good to watch, in fast flowing skilful, football and use of the hand (as Aidso did flicking the ball over a mans head into a teamates path rather than catching the ball and getting hit).

I've no vendetta against McBride --i just call things as i see them

Players of Johnny McBrides ilk are few and fair between and its more the pity for Derry football. You have been listening to the likes of O'Neill for to long ganching on here.

shambo

Think its unfair to have a pop at McBride lads, he's be great servant to Loup and Derry. Cheat? Na just cuteness maybe.

McBride was struggling from early on and his tactic, well thats what you do and had the Galls lads won while being 'cute' then sure that would be experience

imtommygunn

I'd agree. Hardly a county footballer in the country isn't up to the old trick of pulling the tacklers arm in to get a foul. Cross are dab hands at it. It's harsh to pick on McBride for this. He's not an angel but there is much much worse about and he has given the Loup club some service. The amount he has won in the game would indicate that there is a footballer, and a damn good one, in there too.

Middowngael a lot of refs have a lot of bad games. Unfortunately we've all been on the end of them. It's unfortunate but you just have to accept it and get on with it.

dundrumite

Didn't get the gaelic life this week, however lad I went to game informed me that Brolly's article had something in it about Mc Brirde to the extent of the point being mentioned. I wonder if Pat Mc A read it. Did anyone here read the article? Did Brolly angle it in a certain way?I  Wouldn't be overly pleased if I was Mc Bride, with Brolly highlighting that on the eve of a major final.

drici

Dia Domhnaigh 06/12/09

Ulster Junior Football Club Championship Final Replay:
St Teresas(Antrim) v Emyvale(Monaghan)   14:00   Páirc Esler Newry Conn Reynolds

screenexile

Quote from: dundrumite on November 30, 2009, 10:15:55 PM
Didn't get the gaelic life this week, however lad I went to game informed me that Brolly's article had something in it about Mc Brirde to the extent of the point being mentioned. I wonder if Pat Mc A read it. Did anyone here read the article? Did Brolly angle it in a certain way?I  Wouldn't be overly pleased if I was Mc Bride, with Brolly highlighting that on the eve of a major final.

Pat McEneaney has been reffing games with Johnnie McBride in them for the guts of 10 years... if he only realised about the arm pulling on the eve of this year's Ulster Final there is something seriously wrong.

Have played against McBride and Brolly both and they are masters of that particular art. Joe apologised to me for it once sayin "sorry about that but I need to substitute the lack of pacce with something". Referees have caught on to it a lot more now so no big deal really.

As for talking about Johnny McBride and players of his "ilk"  he has more honours than probably anyone on that St. Gall's team so I'd wind your neck in on that score. He plays on the edge and goes over it sometimes but make no mistake he is a leader and in his prime he could control the tempo of a club game unlike anyone you've ever seen and he did it plenty of times this year also. Yes the Loup are a limited side and anyone in Derry would tell you that but don't be having a go at a great footballer who has put in massive service to Club and County for the best part of 20 years!!!

saffron sam2

Quote from: screenexile on December 01, 2009, 01:44:51 AM

Pat McEneaney has been reffing games with Johnnie McBride in them for the guts of 10 years... if he only realised about the arm pulling on the eve of this year's Ulster Final there is something seriously wrong.

Have played against McBride and Brolly both and they are masters of that particular art. Joe apologised to me for it once sayin "sorry about that but I need to substitute the lack of pacce with something". Referees have caught on to it a lot more now so no big deal really.

As for talking about Johnny McBride and players of his "ilk"  he has more honours than probably anyone on that St. Gall's team so I'd wind your neck in on that score. He plays on the edge and goes over it sometimes but make no mistake he is a leader and in his prime he could control the tempo of a club game unlike anyone you've ever seen and he did it plenty of times this year also. Yes the Loup are a limited side and anyone in Derry would tell you that but don't be having a go at a great footballer who has put in massive service to Club and County for the best part of 20 years!!!

Off you go then. But I wouldn't be offering any money on it if I was you.
the breathing of the vanished lies in acres round my feet

Schkite

Quote from: saffron sam2 on December 01, 2009, 08:12:27 AM

Would he not though? Who would be the most decorated of the Galls players out of interest?

oakleafgael

Quote from: saffron sam2 on December 01, 2009, 08:12:27 AM

Sam,

I should have included you along with the slaphead.

Johnny has won the following, I could have missed one or two.

An Ulster Minor County Champioship, they where beat in the final of the All Ireland the same year.

2 Ulster Minor Clubs

An Ulster U21 win along with two final defeats.

An All Ireland U21 when he was captain of a great team.

An Ulster Senior along with two losers medals, he scored 1-3 in the final against Armagh and was the best footballer on the park.

Two National Leagues and a losers medal, maybe beat in two finals?

Two Derry Senior Championships and an Ulster Club Championship.

What St Galls man has won more than that, dont be including Mickey Mouse hurling competitions either.

thewanderer

Showing a lot of runners-up, surely you should stick to the winners side of things. Havin said that not a bad haul ;) thats 11 winners metals, think some st galls men might have more winners medals maybe not as varied. 8 senior championships out of the last 9 and 2 ulsters for starters dont know about u21 or minor but im sure someone will fill us in.

Master Yoda

First of all well done to St Galls on Sunday, sometimes you just come up a better team and there is nothing you can do about it. St Galls where pure class all over the pitch and I hope they go on now to win the All Ireland and I think they will if they can keep their feet on the ground.

I think its totally unfair for people to come on here and give the loup players bad manners about the way the play the game, with the players we have had at our disposal over rhe past 8-9 years we have done in my opinion incredibly well and have punched above our weight with the big boys, what people have to understand is that the Loup are not going to beat the best teams in Derry playing nice open football so they play to contain the other team, make it tight and hang in there to the last 10 when more times than not they have more heart for the fight and finish on the right side of the score. Thats the way we play and we make no apologies for it.

Last of all I would like to say anyone who knows Johnny McBride knows what kind of a man he is and its shows such a lack of class to come here and try to blacken a great gaels name. Johnny McBride is the embodiment of everything that the Loup are and will alway be an absolute legend in the Loup, Fermanagh dont know how lucky they are to be getting such a man.
Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering

SambaSaffron

Some awful crap posted in here. First of all, congratulations to St Galls, excellent performance and on that form they'll be hard to stop. Loup just couldn't compete, but I'm sure they'll be happy enough with their year.

For the personal attacks on Johnny McBride, wise up. The man has been a class footballer for about 15 years for club and county, and as someone says you don't win the honours he has by fluke. I'm sure he isn't too worried about what some loser on her says anyway. As for Kilcoo man, get over it ffs, yous were beat fair and square. I was at the game as a neutral, the ref wasn't the reason you lost. Move on, you are making your club look bad on here.

brokencrossbar1

A true sign of a great sportsmanship is to treat defeat and victory with the same respect.  All teams have idiots who  over the years have spouted off at games and in the pubs and clubs after about such and such.  With the advent of the internet discussion boards these idiots have been let loose on the whole world instead of just their own parish.  Things happen on the field that effect the game positively and negatively and to pick out players and refs as scapegoats is wrong.  There is not one ref that hasn't made a msitake and not one team who hasn't cheated so get off the high horses and enjoy a fine team in St Gall's and hopefully they can bring Andy Merrigan back to Ulster again for the 10th time.

drici

Ulster Senior Football Club Championship Finals:

Bryansford 0-06 Newbridge 0-03

Bellaghy 1-11 Clan na Gael 0-05

Ballerin 2-08 Clan na Gael 2-03

1981/82 (played April 1982)
Ballinderry 2-03 Burren 0-05

Lavey 2-10 Kingscourt 0-04

Lavey 0-10 Burren 0-10
Áth Imirt: Lavey 0-11 Burren 1-05

Bellaghy 0-11 Clontibret O'Neills 0-10

Crossmaglen Rangers 1-07 Bellaghy 1-07 (1st December except it was on a Sunday and not a Tuesday like this year)
Áth Imirt: Crossmaglen Rangers 2-05 Bellaghy 0-08 (8th December - wonder if school got the next day off instead)

Dungiven 0-14 Errigal Ciarán 1-08

Crossmaglen Rangers 1-11 Bellaghy 1-10

Bellaghy 1-10 Errigal Ciarán 1-04

Ballinderry 1-10 Mayobridge 1-07

Loup 1-11 St Galls 1-05

St Galls 1-08 Bellaghy 0-08

Crossmaglen Rangers 0-05 Ballinderry 0-03 (3rd December - something surreal about that day/weather/match in Casey)

Crossmaglen Rangers 1-10 Ballinderry 1-10
Áth Imirt: Crossmaglen Rangers 0-12 Ballinderry 1-04