Ulster Senior Football Club Championship 2009

Started by drici, August 18, 2009, 10:35:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tonesfirstandlast

Quote from: saffron sam2 on November 30, 2009, 12:23:58 PM
Quote from: FermGael on November 30, 2009, 12:12:20 PM
Quote from: Man Marker on November 30, 2009, 09:55:26 AM
I would be an avid follower of Ulster club football over the past 20 years or so. This was the reason why i asked the question, I couldn't remember the last time a Derry team took a beating like that. Cross have never stuffed Bellaghy. If my wee brown book is correct, Bellaghy and Cross have played 4 times with each winning two games. Significantly Cross defeated bellaghy in 2 finals, one after a replay in 98 I believe, and the other in 96 I think by 2 points. I honestly cannot think of any derry club team taking abeating like that in the Ulster Club. Anyone?

Enniskillen beat Bellaghy  12 points to 6 points in 2001 with bellaghy getting two very late points.
Not sure of the year though.  think it was 01

I think I remember that as well. Did Bellaghy not get a few red cards also, ending the game as something resembling a disorganised rabble?

Fair play to Loup for keeping their discipline despite getting a bit of a tanking.

I think that was 99. Aye, we were very undisciplined that day and a few of our boys lost the run of themselves.

Gold

Pat McEnaney's call on Johnny McBride was the bet bit of refereeing i've seen in a while --granted it did come after Brolly had stated that McBride was the only man superior to him in grabbing a man's arm in and dragging him down to get a free--this is exactly what McBride did--he grabbed Gribbies arm in and dragged him down --but the ejit did it clean in front of McEnaney.

The difference in McBride and Gallagher, Kelly, Burke etc is clear, if any of those Galls boys were in a tight spot they would dig their fresh, fit legs in and drive out of that spot while McBride just looks to grab hold of the nearest opponent and 'buy' a free, boring spectators in the process "oh, isnt McBride great, buying frees and dragging his team to one point victories" no he's not, he's boring. What neutral spectator wants to watch that sort of slow, boring, win at all costs shite (unless it was Antrim winning an All Ireland that boring way, i'd take that!). Imagine paying a tenner in to watch McBride slow games down and put you to sleep. McBride didnt try that trick again and it clearly curtailed his game as he overcarried a number of times when surrounded by blue shirts, he tried to play honest football rather than doing his usual and as a result wasnt good enough and overcarried. McBride is a bully,  the photo of him dropping his knees on the back of a Derrygonnelly man thats been in the paper hows that. After Gallagher burried McAlynn, McBride came over pointing at Gallagher, but he wouldnt go near him as he was punctured and out of shape (he's just all talk and dirty slaps and tricks) and Gallagher would have went through him for a shortcut. I'm delighted this type of footballer didnt win. St Galls to a man are hard but fair. God help Fermanagh if McBride is on board to provide his boring, slow the game down, put spectators to sleep, knowledge

St Galls were awesome to watch, playing like a 7 a side team, up and down the pitch, playing with a ferousious intensity from start to finish, it was awesome to watch--defending as hard as you'll see and flying forwards --they really are a team and every one of them should at least be on our county panel--great to see a team play to their potential on the big day
"Cheeky Charlie McKenna..."

Brick Tamlin

ok....so....guess you dont like Johnny Mc Bride too much. ::)

Mid Down Gael

Quote from: gallsman on November 30, 2009, 12:24:32 PM
Quote from: Gold on November 29, 2009, 07:07:22 PM
Awesome peformance by St Galls today, delighted they played to their potential. As said before they've always had the skills but now the majority of the lads are peaking physically and they dont look like they can be stopped.

They tanked Loup who were beaten by a far superior team, both physically and skills wise.

The whole team were great and Niblock in particular won a sight of ball--he was flying and so powerful he couldnt be stopped all day, some change from his performance at the same ground v Cross 2 years ago, he's come on bucketloads since then.

Best bit of the game was when Aidso did as he did in the semi v Clontibret --Aidso hand passed the ball over Aidan McAlynn along the sideline with about 5 mins to go --McAlynn then went to 'do' Aidso as he was left open after he played the ball, but Aidso just quickly tightened himself in and buried McAlynn onto his arse. He then stood over McAlynn and looked down at him, McAlynn got up and hit Aidso a crap punch the stomach--Aidso just laughed at him and shook his head. Good moment

Either that or the moment Karl came on. His man started jabbing him in the back as soon as Karl ran over to him. Ginge jumped round and made as if he was going to dig him and your man shit a brick. Really great performance by St. Gall's, although I was disappointed to see them starting to mess around towards he end. As someone said earlier, Niblock was absolutely awesome, even though defenders tried to wipe him our on several occasions. Saw him after the match and he had a black eye the size of an apple. Although Aidso won MOTM, I think Sean Burke should get a lot of praise as well- best performance I've seen from him at senior.

Nothing less than the All-Ireland will do now. I remember being in the club the night of the Salthill match and Gribbies was crying into a pint and wondering how on earth he'd ever get to play in Croke Park again. Well, they're just one game away from it now. Shows the belief is finally there in the squad that they deserve to be ranked up with the best teams in the country.

Will the bookies have them favourites?

McAlynn was nipping flat out against Kilcoo also and got roasted by a teenager. He is one off those players that needs the top row took out the way he behaves.

Archie Mitchell

Quote from: Gold on November 30, 2009, 06:59:25 PM
Pat McEnaney's call on Johnny McBride was the bet bit of refereeing i've seen in a while --granted it did come after Brolly had stated that McBride was the only man superior to him in grabbing a man's arm in and dragging him down to get a free--this is exactly what McBride did--he grabbed Gribbies arm in and dragged him down --but the ejit did it clean in front of McEnaney.

The difference in McBride and Gallagher, Kelly, Burke etc is clear, if any of those Galls boys were in a tight spot they would dig their fresh, fit legs in and drive out of that spot while McBride just looks to grab hold of the nearest opponent and 'buy' a free, boring spectators in the process "oh, isnt McBride great, buying frees and dragging his team to one point victories" no he's not, he's boring. What neutral spectator wants to watch that sort of slow, boring, win at all costs shite (unless it was Antrim winning an All Ireland that boring way, i'd take that!). Imagine paying a tenner in to watch McBride slow games down and put you to sleep. McBride didnt try that trick again and it clearly curtailed his game as he overcarried a number of times when surrounded by blue shirts, he tried to play honest football rather than doing his usual and as a result wasnt good enough and overcarried. McBride is a bully,  the photo of him dropping his knees on the back of a Derrygonnelly man thats been in the paper hows that. After Gallagher burried McAlynn, McBride came over pointing at Gallagher, but he wouldnt go near him as he was punctured and out of shape (he's just all talk and dirty slaps and tricks) and Gallagher would have went through him for a shortcut. I'm delighted this type of footballer didnt win. St Galls to a man are hard but fair. God help Fermanagh if McBride is on board to provide his boring, slow the game down, put spectators to sleep, knowledge

St Galls were awesome to watch, playing like a 7 a side team, up and down the pitch, playing with a ferousious intensity from start to finish, it was awesome to watch--defending as hard as you'll see and flying forwards --they really are a team and every one of them should at least be on our county panel--great to see a team play to their potential on the big day

I don't know if your a St Galls man or not, sounds like you are, but it is this sort of stuff that makes neutrals hate a team for one thing or another and why St Galls's arent liked alot. Fair enough they have a good football team, but to come out with a statement like that is a joke. No team has a team of angels. How many of this great St Galls team turned their backs on Antrim when they were in need of them? To come out with a statement like that against Johnny McBride, who has put 20 or so hard years into football and The Loup, is a joke. You wouldn't say it to his face but you can come on here and talk about it. Enjoy your victory and get on with it. God know's what they would be like if they got beat.

Mid Down Gael

Well said. The reason Loup where in the final was because McBride conned Paudie' w**king' Hughes into numerous calls against Kilcoo in the simi. When big Marty McClean was booked all Johnny done was say to Hughes every time Marty went for a ball that he was on a yellow and for something silly that McAneaney wouldn even blow a free for, Hughes sent Marty off costing us victory. If Pat was refereeing our game with Loup they wouldnt have been there yesterday and i think the hammering they got proved they are an ordinary side. Paudie Hughes will never be forgiven in Kilcoo and i agree with all you say about McBride.

Archie Mitchell

Quote from: Mid Down Gael on November 30, 2009, 08:13:45 PM

Well said. The reason Loup where in the final was because McBride conned Paudie' w**king' Hughes into numerous calls against Kilcoo in the simi. When big Marty McClean was booked all Johnny done was say to Hughes every time Marty went for a ball that he was on a yellow and for something silly that McAneaney wouldn even blow a free for, Hughes sent Marty off costing us victory. If Pat was refereeing our game with Loup they wouldnt have been there yesterday and i think the hammering they got proved they are an ordinary side. Paudie Hughes will never be forgiven in Kilcoo and i agree with all you say about McBride.

Another sore loser. It's been a few weeks, get over it.

Brick Tamlin

lads this is all cringeworthy stuff. Mid Down Gael your clutching at straws there whilst giving down folk a bad name. Lose graciously, your club had a fantastic year but dont lose the run of yourself.  Paudi Hughes wont lose any sleep over the lack of "forgiveness" Kilcoo shall show to him forever more.

Mid Down Gael

Quote from: Brick Tamlin on November 30, 2009, 08:33:40 PM
lads this is all cringeworthy stuff. Mid Down Gael your clutching at straws there whilst giving down folk a bad name. Lose graciously, your club had a fantastic year but dont lose the run of yourself.  Paudi Hughes wont lose any sleep over the lack of "forgiveness" Kilcoo shall show to him forever more.

Oh we are over it but the **** was a disgrace and this is the opinion off many nuetral gaels ive spoke to. If you read previous posts you will see i gave Loup credit and wished them well.

Mid Down Gael

Quote from: Archie Mitchell on November 30, 2009, 08:15:56 PM
Quote from: Mid Down Gael on November 30, 2009, 08:13:45 PM

Another sore loser. It's been a few weeks, get over it.

I took my beating. Im stating the facts off what happened.

Brick Tamlin

il think you will find if you read your two previous posts they are your OPINION and not FACTS.
I think the only fact that you stated was that Marty Mc Clean was sent off. The rest is pretty much a wee rant.

The reason Loup where in the final was because McBride conned Paudie' w**king' Hughes into numerous calls against Kilcoo in the simi (OPINION).  

Hughes sent Marty off costing us victory. (OPINION)

If Pat was refereeing our game with Loup they wouldnt have been there yesterday and i think the hammering they got proved they are an ordinary side.(OPINION)

Archie Mitchell

Quote from: Mid Down Gael on November 30, 2009, 08:43:40 PM
Quote from: Brick Tamlin on November 30, 2009, 08:33:40 PM

Oh we are over it but the **** was a disgrace and this is the opinion off many nuetral gaels ive spoke to. If you read previous posts you will see i gave Loup credit and wished them well.

So your over it, gave Loup credit and wished them well, then went on a rant about the ref costing use the game and the Loup cheating their way to a victory in agreeing with Gold's post.

Gold

Quote from: Mid Down Gael on November 30, 2009, 08:05:15 PM
Quote from: gallsman on November 30, 2009, 12:24:32 PM
Quote from: Gold on November 29, 2009, 07:07:22 PM
Awesome peformance by St Galls today, delighted they played to their potential. As said before they've always had the skills but now the majority of the lads are peaking physically and they dont look like they can be stopped.

They tanked Loup who were beaten by a far superior team, both physically and skills wise.

The whole team were great and Niblock in particular won a sight of ball--he was flying and so powerful he couldnt be stopped all day, some change from his performance at the same ground v Cross 2 years ago, he's come on bucketloads since then.

Best bit of the game was when Aidso did as he did in the semi v Clontibret --Aidso hand passed the ball over Aidan McAlynn along the sideline with about 5 mins to go --McAlynn then went to 'do' Aidso as he was left open after he played the ball, but Aidso just quickly tightened himself in and buried McAlynn onto his arse. He then stood over McAlynn and looked down at him, McAlynn got up and hit Aidso a crap punch the stomach--Aidso just laughed at him and shook his head. Good moment

Either that or the moment Karl came on. His man started jabbing him in the back as soon as Karl ran over to him. Ginge jumped round and made as if he was going to dig him and your man shit a brick. Really great performance by St. Gall's, although I was disappointed to see them starting to mess around towards he end. As someone said earlier, Niblock was absolutely awesome, even though defenders tried to wipe him our on several occasions. Saw him after the match and he had a black eye the size of an apple. Although Aidso won MOTM, I think Sean Burke should get a lot of praise as well- best performance I've seen from him at senior.

Nothing less than the All-Ireland will do now. I remember being in the club the night of the Salthill match and Gribbies was crying into a pint and wondering how on earth he'd ever get to play in Croke Park again. Well, they're just one game away from it now. Shows the belief is finally there in the squad that they deserve to be ranked up with the best teams in the country.

Will the bookies have them favourites?

McAlynn was nipping flat out against Kilcoo also and got roasted by a teenager. He is one off those players that needs the top row took out the way he behaves.

Exactly, it was McAlynn who was the one digging at Karl Stewart when he came on. In fairness though McAlynn is only a young naive fella and probably just learnt to try and act the hard man from others (previously mentioned) in his team. The trouble is although he's a big young fella he hasnt properly filled out and for all his wee digs and tryin to 'do' Aidso, he is not strong enough (yet) to properly do that carry on.

Re McBride--i meant it and players of his ilk --it just genuinely is so boring to watch from a neutral perspective. These are our games and we need to showcase them at their best. I undertand if its your own club/ county you'd be happy just to win, no matter how you do --but from a neutral point of view seeing old (warhorses) resorting to dragging down opponents (cheating) to win and slowing down a game is terrible to watch. I didnt put £20 in the tank to drive to Newry to pay a tenner to watch that --i was delighted with McEnaney's call--someone before said it was a wrong call --it wasnt--he was facing me in the middle of the field--he was actually well past Gribbies and should have pushed on but Mc Bride waited for him and put his arm back to grab Gribbies--was very obvious--he didnt even do it on McEnaney's blind side--i understand you have to play to your strengths--in a way its commendable that a man like McBride--with little zip left in his legs at this stage of his career could drag his team to an Ulster Final, no matter what means he uses --but its great when teams play to their strengths and when those strengths are so good to watch, in fast flowing skilful, football and use of the hand (as Aidso did flicking the ball over a mans head into a teamates path rather than catching the ball and getting hit).

I've no vendetta against McBride --i just call things as i see them

"Cheeky Charlie McKenna..."

Bogball XV

A glenullin man i was talking to claimed that galls played with 8 men for a while in last year's all ireland sevens final, he also said that galls were a little bit cynical in their tackling every time the bradley's got the ball.  I'm sure of course that they've now moved on and would never indulge in such tactics again, but last year wasn't that long ago that you'd have forgotten it completely.

Mid Down Gael

Quote from: Brick Tamlin on November 30, 2009, 08:51:24 PM
il think you will find if you read your two previous posts they are your OPINION and not FACTS.
I think the only fact that you stated was that Marty Mc Clean was sent off. The rest is pretty much a wee rant.

The reason Loup where in the final was because McBride conned Paudie' w**king' Hughes into numerous calls against Kilcoo in the simi (OPINION).  

Hughes sent Marty off costing us victory. (OPINION)

If Pat was refereeing our game with Loup they wouldnt have been there yesterday and i think the hammering they got proved they are an ordinary side.(OPINION)

Yeah opinions that many neutral gaels who where at the match agreed with. And a fact that McBride talked to the referee and had an influence on getting big marty sent off is fact. I was close enough to see it. All i am saying is that with a better referee things likely would have been different. Look i can take a beating but all any team asks for is consistency in refereeing and on that day we didnt get that as all the media highlighted. We had a great year and we will respect the Loup and always remember the great game we where involved in with them. if it was your club that where on the wrong side off the decisions off Hughes on that day you would be sore.