Ulster Senior Football Club Championship 2009

Started by drici, August 18, 2009, 10:35:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Master Yoda

This has probley been covered 100 times but I'll ask it anyway.
Why do Tyrone teams do so bad in the Ulster Club?
I been at a few of their Club Championship matches this year including the final and have been very impressed with the quailty, after the County final I thought Dromore would have been a very good bet for Ulster, but year in year out they fall flat on their faces in Ulster.
Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering

Winnie Peg

Quote from: Master Yoda on November 20, 2009, 03:01:59 PM
I been at a few of their Club Championship matches this year including the final and have been very impressed with the quailty, after the County final I thought Dromore would have been a very good bet for Ulster, but year in year out they fall flat on their faces in Ulster.

They try to play football. An Ardboe man told me that they played the Loup in A pre season friendly and that yunes were the dirtiest crowd of hooores they had ever played against.

milltown row

hard to find the reason for that one, Carrickmore i thought would have been the best team of late in Ulster. Mainly cause they only had one county player. meant that they had their whole team prepared right and had good managers

Master Yoda

Quote from: Winnie Peg on November 20, 2009, 04:00:39 PM
Quote from: Master Yoda on November 20, 2009, 03:01:59 PM

They try to play football. An Ardboe man told me that they played the Loup in A pre season friendly and that yunes were the dirtiest crowd of hooores they had ever played against.

:D :D :D :D Thats the best laugh I've had in ages Winnie Peg  :D :D can't stop laughing.
Must be very tough for you footballers in Tyrone to go out and play against the rest of the hallions in Ulster. :'(
Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering

Master Yoda

Quote from: milltown row on November 20, 2009, 04:19:13 PM
hard to find the reason for that one, Carrickmore i thought would have been the best team of late in Ulster. Mainly cause they only had one county player. meant that they had their whole team prepared right and had good managers

I know where your coming from Milltown but I disagree about Carrickmore, although always there or there abouts in Tyrone because they are a tough no nonsense team who gives it 100% all the time i feel they haven't had the quality to be a serious threat in Ulster whereas Dromore I think have quality all over the pitch and I was very surprised they didn't give Ulster a serious run this year.

Thought it was between them and yourselves at the start of Ulster.

Maiden1

We keep hearing how good Tyrone teams are but based on the ulster championship over the last number of years the Tyrone championship is not near as tough as the Derry championship.  Just because it is competitive doesn't make it of a great standard, just that the teams in it are of a fairly  equal standard.  I could argue that the down junior championship is competitive and some of the games are good to watch but it doesn't necessarily follow that the standard is that high (relatively speaking).
There are no proofs, only opinions.

cc09

FIVE of the last 9 ulster senior club finals(including this year) have seen either loup or ballinderry been involved and also about 6 or 7 ulster minor club finals in the last 15 years between them,

to me that is nothing short of an outstanding achievement regardless of outcomes giving the fact that these 2 clubs are neighbouring parishes with the 2 club grounds about a mile apart and also the extremely small catchment area that each club has, then take into account the amount of clubs ther is in ulster,

winsamsoon

Without a doubt a great achievement and a lot of players kicking themselves that they came good at the same time as an outstanding cross team. Frustrating to say the least
I never forget a face but in your case I will make an exception.

slow corner back

St Galls have been there or thereabouts for the last six years, and unlike Cross, Ballinderry or Loup they are a dual club and come from a county with a poor enough record in club championship prior to St Galls emergence. By the way over the last 30 years how many Ulster club titles have gone to Donegal Cavan or Monaghan. I think one or two went to Castleblaney but outside of that I dont remember many. Has anyone from Down won it since the Paddy O Rourke Burren team?

Schkite

Quote from: slow corner back on November 21, 2009, 08:02:43 PM
St Galls have been there or thereabouts for the last six years, and unlike Cross, Ballinderry or Loup they are a dual club and come from a county with a poor enough record in club championship prior to St Galls emergence. By the way over the last 30 years how many Ulster club titles have gone to Donegal Cavan or Monaghan. I think one or two went to Castleblaney but outside of that I dont remember many. Has anyone from Down won it since the Paddy O Rourke Burren team?

Since 1979 Monaghan clubs have won the Ulster club 5 times, Scotstown winning 3 and Blayney 2. Scotstown won it in '78 aswell. But the last win was Blayney in '91, since then the record of Monaghan clubs in Ulster is very poor. We're the last club to get to the final but that's 15 years ago now

Donegal's last Ulster club win was in 1975, while a Cavan club has never won it.

Maiden1

No Down team since the late 80s.  Burren where like the Cross of the 80s.  Downpatrick, Burren and Mayobridge have made the final since then but no winners.
There are no proofs, only opinions.

gaagaa

Quote from: cc09 on November 20, 2009, 06:14:16 PM
FIVE of the last 9 ulster senior club finals(including this year) have seen either loup or ballinderry been involved and also about 6 or 7 ulster minor club finals in the last 15 years between them,

to me that is nothing short of an outstanding achievement regardless of outcomes giving the fact that these 2 clubs are neighbouring parishes with the 2 club grounds about a mile apart and also the extremely small catchment area that each club has, then take into account the amount of clubs ther is in ulster,

i think that phrase might be a sore point with their neighboring clubs!
gac = grab all club?

Winnie Peg

Quote from: gaagaa on November 21, 2009, 09:23:56 PM
Quote from: cc09 on November 20, 2009, 06:14:16 PM

gac = grab all club?

I hear that the Loup would be prone to a few outsiders but never heard of any Ballinderry players gaagaa. Who of them don't come from Ballinderry?

RadioGAAGAA

St Galls have been there or thereabouts for the last six years, and unlike Cross, Ballinderry or Loup they are a dual club and come from a county with a poor enough record in club championship prior to St Galls emergence.

Not hard to do when they transfer in any promising underage talent in Belfast.

Its one of the things that is ruining the Antrim county setup. Good youth players transferring at underage level to the big club to try and win trophies, then spending the following year or 2 picking splinters out of their backside benches when they need to be playing flat out... then a year or two after they give up.

If I was in charge in Antrim, my very first change would be the complete ban of underage transfers within the Belfast area (i.e. from one Belfast club to another).

(sits back and awaits the self-interest group to arrive)
i usse an speelchekor

gaagaa

Quote from: Winnie Peg on November 21, 2009, 10:37:15 PM
Quote from: gaagaa on November 21, 2009, 09:23:56 PM

gac = grab all club?

I hear that the Loup would be prone to a few outsiders but never heard of any Ballinderry players gaagaa. Who of them don't come from Ballinderry?

there would be a few from underage and brian mcguckian came in recently though i think he may have moved
a few of there neighbors would have been annoyed at them taking cubs from their cathcment area