James McCartan Snr's post 1990 All Stars

Started by BarryBreensBandage, November 25, 2010, 10:18:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BarryBreensBandage

From James McCartan's new book - his choice for All-Stars, post 1990 - do you agree?

1. John O'Leary - Dublin
2. Robbie O'Malley - Meath
3. Seamus Moynihan - Kerry
4. Tony Scullion - Derry
5. Paul Curran - Dublin
6. Henry Downey - Derry
7. Kieran McGeeney - Armagh
8. Anthony Tohill - Derry
9. Sean Cavanagh - Tyrone
10. Brian Dooher - Tyrone
11. Greg Blaney - Down
12. Michael Donnellan - Galway
13. Stephen McDonnell - Armagh
14. Peter Canavan - Tyrone
15. Mickey Linden - Down

Subs: Stephen Cluxton (Dublin), Darren Fay (Meath), Marc O'Se (Kerry), Anthony Lynch (Cork), Tomas O Se (Kerry), Glenn Ryan (Kildare), Sean Og de Paor (Galway), Darragh O Se (Kerry), John Mc Dermott (Meath), Padraic Joyce (Galway), Maurice Fitzgerald (Kerry), Colm O'Rourke (Meath), Colm Cooper (Kerry), Ollie Murphy (Meath), Bernard Flynn (Meath)
"Some people say I am indecisive..... maybe I am, maybe I'm not".

Mid Down Gael

Quote from: BarryBreensBandage on November 25, 2010, 10:18:47 PM
From James McCartan's new book - his choice for All-Stars, post 1990 - do you agree?

1. John O'Leary - Dublin
4. Tony Scullion - Derry
5. Paul Curran - Dublin
6. Henry Downey - Derry
11. Greg Blaney - Down
15. Mickey Linden - Down

Subs: Stephen Cluxton (Dublin), Darren Fay (Meath), Marc O'Se (Kerry), Anthony Lynch (Cork), Tomas O Se (Kerry), Glenn Ryan (Kildare), Sean Og de Paor (Galway), Darragh O Se (Kerry), John Mc Dermott (Meath), Padraic Joyce (Galway), Maurice Fitzgerald (Kerry), Colm O'Rourke (Meath), Ollie Murphy (Meath), Bernard Flynn (Meath)

I would have the above 3 players in bold on my first 15 as well as a Mr Colm Cooper.

BarryBreensBandage

Quote from: Mid Down Gael on November 25, 2010, 10:29:39 PM
Quote from: BarryBreensBandage on November 25, 2010, 10:18:47 PM

1. John O'Leary - Dublin
4. Tony Scullion - Derry
5. Paul Curran - Dublin
6. Henry Downey - Derry
11. Greg Blaney - Down
15. Mickey Linden - Down

Subs: Stephen Cluxton (Dublin), Darren Fay (Meath), Marc O'Se (Kerry), Anthony Lynch (Cork), Tomas O Se (Kerry), Glenn Ryan (Kildare), Sean Og de Paor (Galway), Darragh O Se (Kerry), John Mc Dermott (Meath), Padraic Joyce (Galway), Maurice Fitzgerald (Kerry), Colm O'Rourke (Meath), Ollie Murphy (Meath), Bernard Flynn (Meath)

I would have the above 3 players in bold on my first 15 as well as a Mr Colm Cooper.

Apologies - You will see only fourteen men in the subs - somehow I omitted Colm Cooper, who is in the book as sub.
"Some people say I am indecisive..... maybe I am, maybe I'm not".

screenexile

Bit of an appeasement to Armagh fans having Stevie in there Gocch is twice the player!

Minder

McDonnell before Maurice Fitz, having a larf.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

DuffleKing

I would contend that McDonnell is much more valuable to his team than mossy fitz. As mercurial as he could be, Mossy did not win enough ball to have the influence on a game that McDonnell does. McDonnell will have twice as much possession in a game than Fitzgerald.

wavesofTORRES

How Martin O Connell does not make any one of those half back positions is a bit of a mystery. Not even on the bench, then again its only one mans opinion, which I respect.

stephenite

It's only a personal opinion but I'd have Graham Geraghty as the first name down on any teamsheet.

brokencrossbar1

Geraghty, Oisin, Graham Canty in front of Lynch, Murphy and Bernard Flynn and how Sean Cavanagh is named ahead of McDermott or O Se in the middle is mystifying!  Also no place for Paddy Bradley? ;)

Donkeywalloper

His loyalty to Ulster is admirable but exclusion of a single kerry player on the starting 15 consigns this selection to the excentric chapter.
Another book  and another item to stir debate and create attention.

5 Sams

Quote from: Donkeywalloper on November 26, 2010, 09:58:36 AM
His loyalty to Ulster is admirable but exclusion of a single kerry player on the starting 15 consigns this selection to the excentric chapter.
Another book  and another item to stir debate and create attention.

Where's Moynihan from then?
The Aristocrat Years

mackers

Tomas O'Se is the best half back of his generation and has to be in ahead of Paul Curran. Surprised Oisin didn't make the sub bench.

Quote from: screenexile on November 25, 2010, 11:08:31 PM
Bit of an appeasement to Armagh fans having Stevie in there Gocch is twice the player!
Wouldn't agree.......Gooch is a super player no doubt and I could see where there would be a debate between him and Stevie for that place, but twice the player??? No!
Stevie has had to suffer some poor service at times in his Armagh career,, if Gooch had've received the same service he would not have got the same scores Stevie has.
Keep your pecker hard and your powder dry and the world will turn.

passedit

Quote from: Banana Man on November 26, 2010, 10:21:04 AM
No James Og??

His own were excluded i'd say. I saw his first draft:

1. John O'Leary - Dublin
3. Daniel
4. Tony Scullion - Derry
5. Paul Curran - Dublin
6. Charlie Pat
9. Brian
10.James
11. Greg Blaney - Down
13. Eoin
15. Mickey Linden - Down

Don't Panic

isourboydownyet

Quote from: mackers on November 26, 2010, 10:17:08 AM
Tomas O'Se is the best half back of his generation and has to be in ahead of Paul Curran. Surprised Oisin didn't make the sub bench.

Quote from: screenexile on November 25, 2010, 11:08:31 PM
Wouldn't agree.......Gooch is a super player no doubt and I could see where there would be a debate between him and Stevie for that place, but twice the player??? No!
Stevie has had to suffer some poor service at times in his Armagh career,, if Gooch had've received the same service he would not have got the same scores Stevie has.

no doubt stevie mcdonald is a class act but just not in the same league as cooper,when gooch doesnt get the service he goes looking for it,just look to last weekends club match he ended up in the middle of the field and starred