Connacht senior football championship 2017

Started by macdanger2, April 06, 2017, 03:06:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SLIGONIAN

Great win delighted, alot of pressure on us and we didn't panic especially when we went a 1pt down second half, hopefully put in a big performance against mayo now but injuries look tough on us
"hard work will always beat talent if talent doesn't work"

seafoid

"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Owenmoresider

Quote from: magpie seanie on May 07, 2017, 09:48:45 PM
Kyle Cawley some man to get a goal. Phew!
He wasn't going to give a Coolera man the satisfaction of keeping a clean sheet  ;)

Was looking dodgy for a while in the second half but we finished it strongly, relief all round.

ck

Spoke to man who was at the game who said Sligo wete just tgat bit more economical in front of goal. NY made hard work of some of their attacks. Im very relieved to be honest. It was tough listening to it for first 55mins

Captain Obvious

Quote from: SLIGONIAN on May 07, 2017, 10:14:36 PM
Great win delighted, alot of pressure on us and we didn't panic especially when we went a 1pt down second half, hopefully put in a big performance against mayo now but injuries look tough on us
It was indeed. Sligo county population of 65,000 while New York state with a population of 19 million.

Seriously though MacHale park next for Sligo to face Mayo. It gets the live RTE coverage i would hope that Sligo are able to give a better account of themselves than their last championship meeting against Mayo.

Rossfan

Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Carmen Stateside

From what i seen today sligo will have to improve a hell of a lot to give Mayo a game.
Todays game turned on a NY sub(20) giving a ball straight to a sligo man which resulted in a goal and from the kick out one of the NY defenders was fouling and resulted in a 14 yard free. New York had looked tired at that point but that seemed to kill of any fight in them.
The Dublin hurler was the best player on the field followed closely by Marron who New York couldn't handle.

SLIGONIAN

Look we avoided the banana skin most outsiders predicted and wanted to happen, listening to the NY manager they were confident and better prepared than ever so give us some slack to be relieved with the win. We are not expecting to win Connacht or beat Mayo, we are not at full strength nor do we have good manager in charge and I feel we would need a clean bill of health and shrewd manager for us to beat mayo and capable of winning Connacht, but a good performance would suffice this yr given the draw
"hard work will always beat talent if talent doesn't work"

sligoman2

I was at the match and it's fair to say that Sligo were a much better and professional team.  New York were winning all the aerial battles around the middle in the first half but lacked a killer instinct.  They only scored twice (I think) from play in the first half and were given a lot of soft frees in my opinion.

New York had a good period for 15 minutes in the second half and got some nice scores, sligo did look a bit rattled and had some poor wides and bad passes etc.  For the last 15 minutes it was all sligo and they picked off some fine scores.  I predicted a 10 point win and would have been wrong by one point if marren didn't try to send a free to manhattan from 14 yards out last kick of the game.
Heard  Hughes pulled a hamstring, which is not good news. Great to see David Kelly back, he had some good flashes and a Cian Breheny made a big difference when he came in.
We will need big improvement for Mayo but having the benefit of a championship game will be a help.
I used to be indecisive but now I'm not too sure.

magpie seanie

All these hamstring injuries bound to be related to the astroturf pitches.

Look - for all their talk of their prep and work they did NY are really a thrown together outfit so it shows you where we are when we're trailing with 19 minutes left. I'm worried about a big hammering the next day.

Someone asked how many U21's played for Sligo. O'Connor and Kyle Cawley started and one more came in as sub, Cummins.

ballinaman

I would hesitate on making that link. They had been training in Bekan on the Astro consistently over the last number of weeks. What would have a bigger affect would be the volume of high speed running they may or may not have done. Getting that balance is key.

It would be interesting to see the number and types of injuries Connacht teams have suffered during games in Gaelic park, if you could track those you may be able to see a pattern.

Syferus

Quote from: magpie seanie on May 08, 2017, 12:24:55 PM
All these hamstring injuries bound to be related to the astroturf pitches.

Look - for all their talk of their prep and work they did NY are really a thrown together outfit so it shows you where we are when we're trailing with 19 minutes left. I'm worried about a big hammering the next day.

Someone asked how many U21's played for Sligo. O'Connor and Kyle Cawley started and one more came in as sub, Cummins.

Sure Roscommon coulda won Comnacht last year after a tighter call in NYC and Mayo won it after drawing with London. Don't dispair young lad.

magpie seanie

Blowitupref

Looks like most of the experienced heads played a big part in Sligos win yesterday.

GAA.ie Football Team of the Week

1: Vinny Cadden (New York)

2: Ross Donavan (Sligo) 3: Tom Cunniffe (New York) 4: Charlie Harrison (Sligo)

5: John Kelly (Sligo) 6: David Culhane (New York) 7: Eoin McHugh (Sligo)

8: Paddy O'Connor (Sligo) 9: Shane Hogan (New York)

10: Neil Ewing (Sligo) 11: Mark Breheny (Sligo) 12: Conor McGraynor (New York)

13: Kyle Cawley (Sligo) 14: Adrian Marren (Sligo) 15: Eugene McVerry (New York

For what its worth a had money on Sligo to win by 7-9 pts
at 11/2. I didn't buy the possible upset in this game at all.
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

magpie seanie

You were confident enough with 19 minutes to go when Sligo were losing, were you? Fair play to you.