SpotlightNI

Started by winghalfback, October 15, 2014, 01:04:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

winghalfback

Absolutely disgusted at what I watched last night on BBC1. I am a staunch republican and a SF follower but this is no better than the catholic church. Shame on them!!!

Mikhailov

Quote from: winghalfback on October 15, 2014, 01:04:37 PM
Absolutely disgusted at what I watched last night on BBC1. I am a staunch republican and a SF follower but this is no better than the catholic church. Shame on them!!!

Missed the show but what was the general jist of it....?

Minder

Quote from: Mikhailov on October 15, 2014, 01:18:07 PM
Quote from: winghalfback on October 15, 2014, 01:04:37 PM

Missed the show but what was the general jist of it....?

Didn't see it but it's repeated tonight on BBC2 at 11:20pm
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

Denn Forever

Basically SF held an enquiry on an IRA member who was accused of abusing a girl who was asked to stop making waves for the "good of the movement".

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-northern-ireland-29613064

A woman has claimed the IRA forced her to confront her alleged rapist before forcing her into silence to protect the republican movement from her claims.
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

lynchbhoy

kneecapping would have been the very least they should have done to him

god knows what info the guy must have possessed for them to let him off let alone shield him via sf

AZOffaly

Quote from: lynchbhoy on October 15, 2014, 04:30:44 PM

god knows what info the guy must have possessed for them to let him off let alone shield him via sf

Was he not acquitted in court later on?

QuoteMs Cahill said that in 1997, when she was 16, she was subjected to a 12-month cycle of sexual abuse, including rape, by a man who was believed to be a member of the IRA.

The man denied the allegations and was later acquitted in court.

winghalfback

Quote from: AZOffaly on October 15, 2014, 04:31:34 PM

QuoteMs Cahill said that in 1997, when she was 16, she was subjected to a 12-month cycle of sexual abuse, including rape, by a man who was believed to be a member of the IRA.

Acquitted in court yeah probably because the cops were not really interested in a case because of the political situation here. Fact of the matter is a woman made a very serious claim that was covered over by people who should have known better, scaremongering tactics a disgrace. its not the first controversy to shroud the republican ranks in this regard and I'd say there is a lot more where women are frightened to come out.

And yes I know it happens in all walks of life but does that make rape or abuse any more acceptable?

lynchbhoy

I don't know the case or last nights tv prog
but normally in rape/abuse cases, esp historic ones, there is little or no evidence

if he is innocent, then justice was done. Often this is not the situation though.
Im just going on the comments from earlier.
my stance is that any rapist should get shot

lynchbhoy

Quote from: winghalfback on October 15, 2014, 04:40:33 PM

Acquitted in court yeah probably because the cops were not really interested in a case because of the political situation here. Fact of the matter is a woman made a very serious claim that was covered over by people who should have known better, scaremongering tactics a disgrace. its not the first controversy to shroud the republican ranks in this regard and I'd say there is a lot more where women are frightened to come out.

And yes I know it happens in all walks of life but does that make rape or abuse any more acceptable?
and in the 'good old days' these guys if they were members of the IRA or not, were normally 'dealt with' - not excused.

AZOffaly

Sorry, not defending any interference here by the 'RA or SF if there was any. I was just picking up on the comment that he should have been kneecapped. If the man was innocent that would have been harsh no?

lynchbhoy

Quote from: AZOffaly on October 15, 2014, 04:42:57 PM
Sorry, not defending any interference here by the 'RA or SF if there was any. I was just picking up on the comment that he should have been kneecapped. If the man was innocent that would have been harsh no?
they would have known back then if he was guilty or not
they usually didn't get it wrong too often if at all.

winghalfback

Quote from: lynchbhoy on October 15, 2014, 04:41:12 PM

I don't know the case or last nights tv prog
but normally in rape/abuse cases, esp historic ones, there is little or no evidence

if he is innocent, then justice was done. Often this is not the situation though.
Im just going on the comments from earlier.
my stance is that any rapist should get shot

Sick individuals, sometimes shooting is to good for them. As the lady said last night she didn't want that on her conscience. Personally Id name same and publicly hang them by the testicles with barbed wire.

AZOffaly

Hang on. Was the guy innocent or not? I was under the impression that despite the IRA's involvement, the case was prosecuted and he was acquitted?

Kneecapping, castration or hanging by the balls from barbed wire would seem a bit harsh if he didn't actually do what was alleged?

winghalfback

Quote from: AZOffaly on October 15, 2014, 04:47:34 PM
Hang on. Was the guy innocent or not? I was under the impression that despite the IRA's involvement, the case was prosecuted and he was acquitted?

Kneecapping, castration or hanging by the balls from barbed wire would seem a bit harsh if he didn't actually do what was alleged?

Sorry if I come across wrong I meant id punish the guilty rapists that way

lynchbhoy

Quote from: AZOffaly on October 15, 2014, 04:47:34 PM

Isnt that the point....

people seem to think he was/is guilty and that there was a cover up...

don't think the PSNIGaaboard will figure it out..