Trolls/trolling

Started by Milltown Row2, November 21, 2016, 08:44:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ONeill

Trolling balls.

It's called winding people up. Been happening on this board since its inception and probably a lot less prevalent now. Wise up lads.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

BarryBreensBandage

As a constant observer and sometimes poster on this board I don't know. The recent Rugby and Celtic threads have been great crack to read, and in a way, while there is an awful lot of side-tracking, I would ask, is this troll posting not what keeps discussion boards going? I know that the two threads I have mentioned would be a lot less humorous and interesting if it was the same opinion every time, or went back to normal operating conditions.

Someone mentioned the running thread being the only thread where there s meaningful discussion. A great thread to see what runs are coming up and people who are achieving well, but boring if you ask me.
Same talk I get from people I know who want to tell me what their PB's are, how many times they are running per week etc. (Although cycling has taken on a demention [sic] of its own in this respect).

Gauntlet thrown down to the trolls with the goals, side track the running thread!
"Some people say I am indecisive..... maybe I am, maybe I'm not".

foxcommander

Every second of the day there's a Democrat telling a lie

Farrandeelin

Quote from: ONeill on November 23, 2016, 10:08:31 PM
Trolling balls.

It's called winding people up. Been happening on this board since its inception and probably a lot less prevalent now. Wise up lads.

+1.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

T Fearon

Of far greater concern is the personal abuse meted out here.

The Stallion

Just in the last few days I was subjected to the following tirade from Walter completely out of the blue:

"Slide you on ye bo**ix, masquerading on here as a Glen man. Prat!"

Quite apart from the factual inaccuracy, this is an example of how there seems to be deep seated anger issues among some posters. I hope they find the help they clearly need.

HiMucker

Quote from: T Fearon on November 24, 2016, 09:48:06 AM
Of far greater concern is the personal abuse meted out here.
Sure why would that concern you? "I do not get even mildly irritated by those who express views out of the ordinary,it's all subjective anyway"

HiMucker

I actually find people complaining about people responding to trolls more annoying :D

Rufus T Firefly

Trolling balls. It's called winding people up. Been happening on this board since its inception and probably a lot less prevalent now. Wise up lads.

It has been going on over all the time I have been here - fourteen years or more - but I reckon it is now a lot more prevalent.

Quote from: BarryBreensBandage on November 24, 2016, 12:00:32 AM
As a constant observer and sometimes poster on this board I don't know. The recent Rugby and Celtic threads have been great crack to read, and in a way, while there is an awful lot of side-tracking, I would ask, is this troll posting not what keeps discussion boards going? I know that the two threads I have mentioned would be a lot less humorous and interesting if it was the same opinion every time, or went back to normal operating conditions.

Someone mentioned the running thread being the only thread where there s meaningful discussion. A great thread to see what runs are coming up and people who are achieving well, but boring if you ask me.
Same talk I get from people I know who want to tell me what their PB's are, how many times they are running per week etc. (Although cycling has taken on a demention [sic] of its own in this respect).

Gauntlet thrown down to the trolls with the goals, side track the running thread!

A valid opinion, but one I'd disagree with.

I'm like yourself - regular observer but rarely feel the urge to post nowadays. Something like the rugby thread was for me a classic example of what puts me off - a thread I could really have enjoyed on the back of our great performances against the ABs but the way it was derailed through trolling put me off. I see the same regularly on the Football side of the Forum.

I'm not that bothered complaining - just end up voting with my feet (in a manner of speaking).   

magpie seanie

Trolling balls.

I think there's a difference between trolling and wind ups. Usually there is an element of cleverness involved in a wind up (almost non-existent nowadays) whereas trolling is usually accompanied by ignorance and lack of subtlety.

Boycey

Quote from: magpie seanie on November 24, 2016, 02:00:36 PM
Trolling balls.

I think there's a difference between trolling and wind ups. Usually there is an element of cleverness involved in a wind up (almost non-existent nowadays) whereas trolling is usually accompanied by ignorance and lack of subtlety.

I wholeheartedly agree with that, there are a couple of good wind-up merchants on here (I won't give them the satisfaction of knowing who they are ;) )  but there are more eejits trolling who would discourage me from adding a comment to a given thread.

JoG2

one thing too that is very apparent with trolls is how negative they are. Rarely do they say anything positive about anything or anyone. Mostly 'the world owes me a living' sorts. 

Wildweasel74

Come on without Tony we have nothing to laugh about, even now booking a hotel on the wrong date for the all-Ireland all those years ago was a classic for the ages and maybe the funniest thing ever happened on this board

TabClear

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on November 26, 2016, 04:16:56 PM
Come on without Tony we have nothing to laugh about, even now booking a hotel on the wrong date for the all-Ireland all those years ago was a classic for the ages and maybe the funniest thing ever happened on this board

The conversation with the receptionist someone put up was one of the funniest things ever on this board.

muppet

Quote from: TabClear on November 26, 2016, 07:48:12 PM
Quote from: Wildweasel74 on November 26, 2016, 04:16:56 PM

The conversation with the receptionist someone put up was one of the funniest things ever on this board.

Who was that? easytiger? Or Hardy maybe?
MWWSI 2017