The OFFICIAL Liverpool FC thread - Jurgen walks - Stallion vindicated

Started by Gabriel_Hurl, February 05, 2009, 03:47:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

From the Bunker

95 is the highest points Man City can get. To get one more than that number we need 10-5-2 from our remaining games to get 96. We finished runner-up last year on 97. We are nearly there but there is a small bit of a journey to go yet!

Milltown Row2

Quote from: From the Bunker on January 12, 2020, 08:20:21 PM
95 is the highest points Man City can get. To get one more than that number we need 10-5-2 from our remaining games to get 96. We finished runner-up last year on 97. We are nearly there but there is a small bit of a journey to go yet!

I suppose thirty years of not winning the league fills the head with doubt, but to actually think Liverpool won't win the league based on their form, style of play and lack of threat from Leicester and City is daft!

Put the feet up, concentrate on Athletico Madrid and cruise through rest of the season, it's been a procession tbh
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

TabClear

Good to chalk off the Saturday game as on paper that should have been one of our toughest games. Overall we were comfortable for most of it but hung on a bit at the end. Two bad misses for Spurs but Liverpool should have been out of sight by then.  The only concern I had is that if Spurs had got the goal late on there would be no time to respond.  The way we were playing in the first half I have no doubt that if Spurs had equalised with half an hour to go Liverpool would have scored again, they always looked like they had an extra gear. However its hard to justify really going for it when a team sits as deep as Spurs did when a goal down.

Mourinho is an absolute nightmare. If I was a Spurs fan I would have been gutted to see him arriving. I know they have injuries but they are European Cup runners up, aiming for Top 4 and playing at home, yet he has them playing 10 men behind the ball defending a one nil deficit.  ::) ::)

johnnycool

Quote from: From the Bunker on January 12, 2020, 08:20:21 PM

Get that bus polished up for May. It's in the bag.

City will still drop points in the run in and so will Liverpool but not 14 of them or even near it.

I really like the Sheffield United manager and the after-match interview he gave after getting beat by Liverpool is telling and bang on the money.

He didn't highlight Liverpool's quality which is a given, he highlighted their work ethic throughout the team, even the stars were going and working back when they didn't have the ball.
Mane twice on the highlights I saw of the Spurs match raced back into midfield and won the ball back when they were under a bit of pressure, once off Harry Winks as he was looking to play a forward pass.
That tells you everything about Klopp who just earlier was roaring at someone like something possessed when Spurs have carved out a chance.

Dire Ear

Watching the U-23's v Southampton, very impressed. Same system and workrate, movement and dare I say, talent as the first team
Edit... 5-0 , some great goals, not sure how good their opponents were

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: Dire Ear on January 13, 2020, 07:22:57 PM
Watching the U-23's v Southampton, very impressed. Same system and workrate, movement and dare I say, talent as the first team
Edit... 5-0 , some great goals, not sure how good their opponents were
What was the lad Hardy like?  See he got a few goals.

Dire Ear

Hardy took his chances but I was more impressed by nearly everyone else apart from the number 3, who's not great at passing.  Serious talent on show , but working as a team, very optimistic for the future

Hound

I haven't seen any games but the U23 team hasn't been doing that well. Apart from Curtis Jones who is one of the leading scorers with 9 goals.

5 wins, 5 draws, 5 losses. 6th out of 12. Southampton are rock bottom with just 3 wins out of 15, so not sure what kind of barometer that win is.

Dire Ear

Quote from: Hound on January 14, 2020, 09:11:24 AM
I haven't seen any games but the U23 team hasn't been doing that well. Apart from Curtis Jones who is one of the leading scorers with 9 goals.

5 wins, 5 draws, 5 losses. 6th out of 12. Southampton are rock bottom with just 3 wins out of 15, so not sure what kind of barometer that win is.
Fair points Hound,  maybe puts it into perspective a bit.
But the likes of Jones, Elliot and Williams are very good players in their own right. Van den Berg, Hoever, Chirivella, Clarkson  are all good enough to bring through the ranks

Hound

Quote from: Dire Ear on January 14, 2020, 12:37:28 PM

But the likes of Jones, Elliot and Williams are very good players in their own right. Van den Berg, Hoever, Chirivella, Clarkson  are all good enough to bring through the ranks

Being a Dubs fan and Leinster fan, I've more experience than most of yis in playing down expectations until trophies are in the cabinet, regardless of how bloody brilliant we look on the pitch!

TabClear

Quote from: Dire Ear on January 14, 2020, 12:37:28 PM

I do not think Chirivella will make it at Liverpool. Capable enough player and did well in the derby but probably too limited for Klopp. I think he is 22/23 now as well so should really be pushing on and given the competition in midfield I think he will struggle. Would definitely do a job for a mid table club or in Spain/Italy.

The other guys are all a good bit younger and would have high hopes for a few of them.  Hoever has impressed anytime I have seen him play. Liverpool have a history of developing a really good crop of youngsters but inevitably it is "the next big thing" who never makes it. Insua/Pacheo/Mellor/Hobbs/Ayala, even Suso/Coady were all touted as being teh next Owen/Gerrard/Fowler etc and none really made it at Anfield. Obviously a few of them did well when they left.

Capt Pat

Shrewsbury beat Bristol 1-0 in the cup. That will give the reserves/youngsters a chance to advance in the fa cup. It is a shame to give up on the fa cup when concentrating on the league and champions league.

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: Capt Pat on January 15, 2020, 12:29:35 AM
Shrewsbury beat Bristol 1-0 in the cup. That will give the reserves/youngsters a chance to advance in the fa cup. It is a shame to give up on the fa cup when concentrating on the league and champions league.

Is imagine that you'll see the likes of Fabinho, Matip, Lovern and Shaqiri playing as well. They need games to get match fit.

toby47

Quote from: Capt Pat on January 15, 2020, 12:29:35 AM

Fabinho, Matip & Lovren should be fit for it. Add Lallana, Minamino, Origi & Shaqiri and theres a good base of a team that should get Liverpool into the next round no problem. Along with getting 3 or 4 youngsters more game time.

Link

Don't think we'll be giving up on it. Should be strong enough against Shrewsbury after resting the majority of the first team again.

Hopefully get another easy tie in round 5 which is mid week between 2 premier league games, then go strong in QF if we get there as it is the game before international break.