PDC Premier League of Darts

Started by Seany, March 12, 2010, 12:22:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

yellowcard

Quote from: Itchy on January 04, 2024, 10:01:23 AM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on January 03, 2024, 08:41:38 AMIts interesting that in any other 'sport' if someone came from nowhere and reached a final and lets say won, they'd be saying they have used enhancing drugs, not the same for darts it seems ;)

Ironically, Darts could be the purest of all sports as there is no way to cheat at it unless someone comes up with remote control darts

In terms of the physical sense this is true, darts and snooker are the 2 that would not benefit from drugs that benefit the bodies physical capacity. However drugs that help calm the nerves would be a potential stimulant that could enhance performance such as beta blockers which are now banned from sports such as golf and darts and were thought to have been used in the past. Not sure where alcohol would fall into this equation but I know a lot of pub darts players who would need a few pints to play at their best level.   

bennydorano

Quote from: yellowcard on January 04, 2024, 11:15:06 AM
Quote from: Itchy on January 04, 2024, 10:01:23 AM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on January 03, 2024, 08:41:38 AMIts interesting that in any other 'sport' if someone came from nowhere and reached a final and lets say won, they'd be saying they have used enhancing drugs, not the same for darts it seems ;)

Ironically, Darts could be the purest of all sports as there is no way to cheat at it unless someone comes up with remote control darts

In terms of the physical sense this is true, darts and snooker are the 2 that would not benefit from drugs that benefit the bodies physical capacity. However drugs that help calm the nerves would be a potential stimulant that could enhance performance such as beta blockers which are now banned from sports such as golf and darts and were thought to have been used in the past. Not sure where alcohol would fall into this equation but I know a lot of pub darts players who would need a few pints to play at their best level.   
I was always in the Snooker zone in the 2-4 pints window, then it all went to shit

quit yo jibbajabba

Sames Benny

Bill Werbenuik would laugh at the pair of us (if he were still alive)

DuffleKing

There have been snooker players suspended in the past for taking beta blockers - which slow the heart rate and overall body rhythm. Hard to think they wouldn't aid performance in darts also.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: DuffleKing on January 04, 2024, 12:46:14 PMThere have been snooker players suspended in the past for taking beta blockers - which slow the heart rate and overall body rhythm. Hard to think they wouldn't aid performance in darts also.

Having seen the darts players I'd have assumed that most of them would be using beta blockers due to their health style
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Hound

Quote from: statto on January 04, 2024, 09:45:54 AM
Quote from: jcpen on January 04, 2024, 08:34:40 AMIs it a prerequisite for the majority of Dart players to be obese?
In the past would have been known to be, but there are now acadamies and that for younger players to come through(One of which was Littler) so you will probably see a change in the next while. 
Already changed hugely over the last 20 years. No requirement to be fit to play darts, but most of the younger lads tend to be. Humphries a prime example. Aspinal, van den Bergh, Price, Clayton, Noppert, Cullen, Dobey are all top players who aren't overweight. Most of the others just a little bit overweight. Only a few in the obese category.  I think Littler's bulging stomach is to do with fizzy drinks rather than the historic alcohol/obesity issues.

Itchy

Quote from: Hound on January 04, 2024, 02:32:50 PM
Quote from: statto on January 04, 2024, 09:45:54 AM
Quote from: jcpen on January 04, 2024, 08:34:40 AMIs it a prerequisite for the majority of Dart players to be obese?
In the past would have been known to be, but there are now acadamies and that for younger players to come through(One of which was Littler) so you will probably see a change in the next while. 
Already changed hugely over the last 20 years. No requirement to be fit to play darts, but most of the younger lads tend to be. Humphries a prime example. Aspinal, van den Bergh, Price, Clayton, Noppert, Cullen, Dobey are all top players who aren't overweight. Most of the others just a little bit overweight. Only a few in the obese category.  I think Littler's bulging stomach is to do with fizzy drinks rather than the historic alcohol/obesity issues.

Did I see a photo on the tv yesterday of Humphries playing Littler as kids and Humphries was a big unit?

Littler says he has kebabs and pizza in prep for the big games and celebrates with them too (and a vape). He is the Sean Quigley of Darts

square_ball

Yeah Humphries lost serious weight in the last couple of years. 4 or 5 stone going from different newspaper articles.

toby47

I've been offered a few tickets for the darts in the SSE arena in Belfast this year. Is it a decent night out worth going to?

I'm a casual darts watched over Xmas every year, but don't watch it any other time of year. Probably more hooked this year due to the Littler story.

tintin25

Quote from: toby47 on January 10, 2024, 03:44:47 PMI've been offered a few tickets for the darts in the SSE arena in Belfast this year. Is it a decent night out worth going to?

I'm a casual darts watched over Xmas every year, but don't watch it any other time of year. Probably more hooked this year due to the Littler story.

Couple of friends went to one a year or two ago. Now these boys are up for the craic and love a night out as much as anyone but both said they wouldn't go near it again - alot of scumbags, drinks being fcuked about the place and sectarian chanting.

Best avoid.

Decod89

Quote from: tintin25 on January 10, 2024, 04:22:55 PM
Quote from: toby47 on January 10, 2024, 03:44:47 PMI've been offered a few tickets for the darts in the SSE arena in Belfast this year. Is it a decent night out worth going to?

Been to the Belfast and Dublin ones a few times, mostly 8/9 years ago.

Its a decent enough atmosphere for the most part. There definitely seemed to be a change at the Belfast one as the poster above has said. You would be lucky if half the crowd is still there by the time the last game starts, most clear out early because they know there will be a schmozzle at the end.

If you are with a good sized group and have a table its great craic, the seats around the sides less so.

statto

9 darter for Litler in Bahrain Masters against Aspinall.Into semis now against Price.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: statto on January 19, 2024, 06:14:10 PM9 darter for Litler in Bahrain Masters against Aspinall.Into semis now against Price.
Saw that. He seems to have put on another 2 stone in the last 2 weeks.

square_ball

And three in a 170 finish as well for good measure in the next match.

Anyone see the fella MVG was playing yesterday? I think I'd beat him and I haven't played darts in about 20 years.

SaffronSports

Beat MVG in the final. This kid is the real deal