Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on October 29, 2021, 11:59:32 AM
Quote from: JimStynes on October 29, 2021, 11:28:05 AM
Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on October 28, 2021, 05:59:42 PM
Quote from: NAG1 on October 28, 2021, 03:54:11 PM
Quote from: johnnycool on October 28, 2021, 09:12:36 AM
Quote from: An Watcher on October 28, 2021, 07:56:43 AM
Clones will always be the spot

No it won't.

What a horrible place. Casement is not perfect by any stretch but it is by a far distant way a better option than Clones.

Yeah Dungannon or Cookstown would have been much better.  Jesus that road from Westlink to casement on match day aaaaah

But the road into Dugannon or Cookstown would be good on match day?

probably , because you would plan it not to be built in the middle of a 2 lane main street I imagine-just a guess

But what do all these cities all over Europe and further afield do during match day in their sports. We are so used to driving down the road and parking on a grass verge and dandering up to the match. I'm sure it would be fine if it was built in Belfast.

It would be. But not up a pokey wee congested road with shitty public transport

Balmoral station and Finaghy are both 15/20mins walk away from Casement.

JimStynes

Quote from: Duine Inteacht Eile on October 30, 2021, 08:19:14 PM
???
The public transport access to the Andersonstown Road is up there with best in the city.
Buses, black taxis and the Glider all service it and as mentioned, there are train stations nearby.

It's also a 4 laner the whole way from the city centre with lanes specifically for public transport.

People are just so used to driving up to a game and parking her up on the curb and dandering into the game. If it was a soccer match in England they wouldn't think anything of it having to sit in traffic or get on a train and dander 15mins to the match.

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

???
The public transport access to the Andersonstown Road is up there with best in the city.
Buses, black taxis and the Glider all service it and as mentioned, there are train stations nearby.

It's also a 4 laner the whole way from the city centre with lanes specifically for public transport.

It's a nightmare is what it is anytime i went

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Quote from: Duine Inteacht Eile on October 30, 2021, 08:27:55 PM
I'm not sure what they are getting used to. Any time I've been to an Ulster final in Clones, it's been a fuckin hike to the ground from where I park the car.

And if the public transport is poor around Casement, I'd love to know what it's like in Cookstown!!

In case you haven't noticed there is no stadium in Cookstown which is my point , build it to suit access

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on October 30, 2021, 09:20:49 PM
???

Train from Derry takes you in hassle free to within a 20 minute walk, pub at the station too
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on October 30, 2021, 09:22:41 PM
Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on October 30, 2021, 09:20:49 PM
???

Train from Derry takes you in hassle free to within a 20 minute walk, pub at the station too

It's 2 hours 15 mins to Belfast by train and nearly ALWAYS delayed, I'm not  being funny coz I don't know , where do I get off and transfer ,

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Quote from: Duine Inteacht Eile on October 30, 2021, 09:32:24 PM
Why do you keep driving to the westlink?

There are alternative routes that would avoid it. In the same way that I can never understand why every fan coming from the west needs to take the Kennedy Way exit on the M1. I wouldn't be on the M1 past Moira.

I know of no other way of getting to casement from Derry , i lived up there 3 years.

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Quote from: Duine Inteacht Eile on October 30, 2021, 09:38:14 PM
Come off at Mallusk, Antrim, Templepatrick.

Drop into Andytown over the mountain.

There are as many routes as you want...

Must give it a go  sometime ,

Never Give Up

Quote from: Duine Inteacht Eile on October 30, 2021, 09:32:24 PM
Why do you keep driving to the westlink?

There are alternative routes that would avoid it. In the same way that I can never understand why every fan coming from the west needs to take the Kennedy Way exit on the M1. I wouldn't be on the M1 past Moira.

Cos the Brits told him to go that way...

armaghniac

Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on October 30, 2021, 09:42:38 PM
Quote from: Duine Inteacht Eile on October 30, 2021, 09:38:14 PM
Come off at Mallusk, Antrim, Templepatrick.

Drop into Andytown over the mountain.

There are as many routes as you want...

Must give it a go  sometime ,

You'll not be going to Casement for a while yet.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Milltown Row2

Was talking to a old friend/foe the other night after a game and discussing why are Belfast teams that had so much going on years ago are struggling to get numbers...

I can remember never failing to field at my grade from under 12 up in hurling and football in juvenile, the first sort of problem I recognised was at under21 hurling at my age, we didn't enter a team, having entered a team every year before, this wasn't a players decision but committee calls.

Amalgamations happened elsewhere and there was always a pathway for players to progress to senior or reserve level, what has changed in those years? What's made it so different to now?

Lack of planning by clubs?
Other sporting options, with better set ups and regular weekly games?
No passion for Gaa
Schools not promoting GAA as the main sport?
The same mentors doing all the work as there is a lack of buy in from parents?
Social issues, inner city problems (they can be everywhere, like the ones I've mentioned)

If there was a poll on the number one sport in West Belfast I'd be interested to see what came up
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Ciall

Think soccer wins that hands down.
So much more options for kids now too- iPads, consoles etc. Easier to sit and play indoors, talk with friends in the comfort of their own home online.
I don't think a lot of  GAA coaches and clubs  take that into consideration. Certainly not half the people on this board- "here's a youngster at my session, he should be doing s&c, individual ball work, eating right, and the more I yell at him, the more he'll respond etc etc."
It's not like Loughgeil where the community idolise the senior hurlers/camogs and they strive to be at that level. For every GAA person I know, I probably know 1 other that doesnt play sport now as a young adult, live a relatively healthy lifestyle and enjoy life travelling or nights, out in the pub at the weekend. GAA players don't get that luxury a lot of the time.
As much as we love and live for the GAA, I feel there's a lack of understanding as to why young people are involved in it. Majority are in it due to friends and fun, but our coaches and members are interested in the wins- and how the county do- and what we need to do to get there.
Soccer leagues have 7/8 divisions - others have even more! It allows everyone to find their level and enjoy it depending on how they want to prepare for it. I know loads of fellas meet up on a Saturday, play a game of soccer and head for pints after. That's the height of it... we call that South Antrim and there's a fair amount of stigma attached to that. I'd love to see clubs take a more business like approach to things where sessions are catered to their audience rather than "here's what I did when I was senior and got to a final one year," even though they've not even considered one piece of coaching literature, attended a coaching course and the kids are 12! I think we could do with more of a look at some form of recreational play for teenage participation. Half pace hurling is a great example of people who just love it, regardless of performance. 

Sorry for the rant lol, but to answer your question......
More visibility.....  in schools,  and more GAA focused leaders in schools and communities. Likes of Tyrone have club people with an influence on Board of Governors etc who get a bit of a say in the recruitment of teachers.
Unless clubs are in schools then how do we ever become visible to kids? Would love to see Gaelfast become more Dublin-like in the sense that a staff member works specifically for a club and recruits as much as possible. Really should've been the model suggested by SV initially anyway but hindsight is a wonderful thing.

More visibility... in general... we have Casement looking a sorry state, get that built on the road and kids can drive by in awe of its presence. In the south they have GAA adverts, billboards etc. I believe it all adds to it. Due to obvious reasons I don't think our businesses can advertise using GAA players as much!

More visibility= more kids.

Last Man

Quote from: Ciall on May 18, 2022, 10:09:40 PM
Think soccer wins that hands down.
So much more options for kids now too- iPads, consoles etc. Easier to sit and play indoors, talk with friends in the comfort of their own home online.
I don't think a lot of  GAA coaches and clubs  take that into consideration. Certainly not half the people on this board- "here's a youngster at my session, he should be doing s&c, individual ball work, eating right, and the more I yell at him, the more he'll respond etc etc."
It's not like Loughgeil where the community idolise the senior hurlers/camogs and they strive to be at that level. For every GAA person I know, I probably know 1 other that doesnt play sport now as a young adult, live a relatively healthy lifestyle and enjoy life travelling or nights, out in the pub at the weekend. GAA players don't get that luxury a lot of the time.
As much as we love and live for the GAA, I feel there's a lack of understanding as to why young people are involved in it. Majority are in it due to friends and fun, but our coaches and members are interested in the wins- and how the county do- and what we need to do to get there.
Soccer leagues have 7/8 divisions - others have even more! It allows everyone to find their level and enjoy it depending on how they want to prepare for it. I know loads of fellas meet up on a Saturday, play a game of soccer and head for pints after. That's the height of it... we call that South Antrim and there's a fair amount of stigma attached to that. I'd love to see clubs take a more business like approach to things where sessions are catered to their audience rather than "here's what I did when I was senior and got to a final one year," even though they've not even considered one piece of coaching literature, attended a coaching course and the kids are 12! I think we could do with more of a look at some form of recreational play for teenage participation. Half pace hurling is a great example of people who just love it, regardless of performance. 

Sorry for the rant lol, but to answer your question......
More visibility.....  in schools,  and more GAA focused leaders in schools and communities. Likes of Tyrone have club people with an influence on Board of Governors etc who get a bit of a say in the recruitment of teachers.
Unless clubs are in schools then how do we ever become visible to kids? Would love to see Gaelfast become more Dublin-like in the sense that a staff member works specifically for a club and recruits as much as possible. Really should've been the model suggested by SV initially anyway but hindsight is a wonderful thing.

More visibility... in general... we have Casement looking a sorry state, get that built on the road and kids can drive by in awe of its presence. In the south they have GAA adverts, billboards etc. I believe it all adds to it. Due to obvious reasons I don't think our businesses can advertise using GAA players as much!

More visibility= more kids.
For me one of the big problems is that we all now live in a world of over stimulation and we are falling over ourselves to make sure our kids are indulged with all the available tech so they will give us peace to lose ourselves in our own social media controlled world. In doing so we have handed over parenting to a screen. Houses full of lap tops, ipads, TVs in all the bedrooms, kids eating meals in their bedrooms, zero conversation. Its f**king weird. Its actually ok to be bored, it stimulates the imagination. Bedrooms are for sleeping, not recreation. Meals should be had at the kitchen table.
Rural areas have managed to hold on to a greater sense of community compared to us but the fibre broadband is on its way and another few years will see them not much better off.
Unless parents take responsibility that is.

Upandover

Ive recently started mentoring at a local west belfast club, u8/u9, done a couple of courses with gaelfast, bought a few books, both sons play for the club.
Every weekend we are struggling for numbers, we have great facilities, number one culprit....... Caravan season!
I dread to see what its going to be like when the schools finish for summer.
On a sidenote, anyone recommend any books dual codes?

Upandover

Davitts have some green shoots appearing, great facilities and with alan rainey doing well with antrim minors it can only benefit the davitts, some great hurlers coming through.