managing problematic players

Started by hurlingstick, February 12, 2015, 09:21:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hurlingstick

This is a fascinating problem common to anyone who has ever coached. Over the past two seasons I've had a 'superstar' who is difficult to manage. I've stuck to my guns (disciplinarian but fair and fun). At times I thought I was too strict but stuck at it. I'm finally seeing results and glad I stuck to my guns. He still at times will refuse to do certain things but is committed to the cause and never misses training so I can't complain and turn a blind eye. Anyone want to share their experiences?

Milltown Row2

In a squad of 20 plus players you'll always get arseholes, but if they are clubmen and you stick to your guns they'll play, they may still think you're a dcik but as long as you get the'team' playing as you want them to then all good.

Been there done it many years, no rush to get back into it, some serious expectations some players have of themselves.....
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

hurlingstick

Ha ha. Love the reply. Superstars in many cases do equal arseholes - pretty much what I wanted to say. Sometimes they're worth it and other times they are just arseholes!!

Na Glinntí Glasa

honestly what i do?

i tell them "there's an entrance to our pitch and there's no gates on it. your not forced in here nor kept against your will. You chose what to do next"

sounds harsh or a load of tosh some may say here but i told it to someone last year in the middle of a session. i wont say what grade or code. Our club was here before them and will remain long after them.

Problematic players disrupt all around them and are no good to a team in the long run. yes i try to work with them but if they constantly fight back against you and dont turn up theres nothing you can do. If they toe the line then great.

A team is as good as the people in it and if one of your team constantly upsets things it does you no good, no matter how good they are.
hurl like f**k boi!

Gizzy15

I find showing the gate to the individual arsehole/superstar is an option and agree with DR on that point.
The problem lies with their influence over the group or smaller groups within the set up. this is where DR's option comes in because if not nipped in the bud early their affect can spread like a virus and then if told to leave you will find a lot of allies can become equally disruptive. this may be more so at juvenile grade up to minor but can occur in my experience with some senior set ups.

you will find some coaches/managers try the bring them on board approach and give positions of responsibility to the individual (ie Captian) in a hope that it will "wise them up". this is an approach I feel that will backfire more than it works as I find the lads that work hard and keep their mouth shut don't really like being led by an arsehole/superstar and sets a bad example to the younger more impressionable members of a panel. then when it backfires you the coach can be left looking a bit of a dic and a queue of I told ya so's waiting on your doorstep.

Na Glinntí Glasa

yeah def Gizzy. ive found them not worth the hassle. I would rather have 20 players who want to work hard, commit to training, listen to what needs to be done rather than 21 players which includes a talent ass who annoys people, carry's on during sessions and turns up when it suits them.

you dont tend to get them at senior level, most clubs wont tolerate this type of person no matter how great they are, its usually at under age level.
hurl like f**k boi!

johnneycool

Quote from: Dunloy realist on February 18, 2015, 03:53:09 PM
yeah def Gizzy. ive found them not worth the hassle. I would rather have 20 players who want to work hard, commit to training, listen to what needs to be done rather than 21 players which includes a talent ass who annoys people, carry's on during sessions and turns up when it suits them.

you dont tend to get them at senior level, most clubs wont tolerate this type of person no matter how great they are, its usually at under age level.

That is the be all and end all, sort out the attitude at underage and it'll not be a problem thereafter.

We'd a lad who was untouchable at u-14, won a Down Feile and he was the greatest thing since sliced bread. I made a statement to one of our U-14 management at the time that I'd be surprised if he played minor, let alone senior as he was already at the histrionics, giving off to some of his team mates, rolling about the place, injured one minute and fine the next. The U-14 manager, a former senior team mate of mine said I was talking bollox.

He should still be playing minor this year, but  last year he was so bad they had to take him off several times and bring on a 15 year old. I asked the minor management this year whether he'd be playing and they didn't think so, with one saying 'not sure I'd want him back as he does nothing but moan the whole feckin time, always someone else's fault, never his. Should really have been stamped out when the wee lad was 10 or so. Clubs fault and loss IMO.

Hence why some underage managers in our club get pissed off at me for telling them to look beyond the scoreboard and see the technique and attitude of each player and the team as a whole as to whether we're improving or not..

hurlingstick

Some people are so obsessed with winning they're prepared to tolerate these players, usually at the detriment of the entire squad. Take the big decision and give them the boot. I think someone in this thread already said it, usually they will carry some sway within the panel and that is the difficulty.

doodaa

Quote from: Dunloy realist on February 18, 2015, 11:31:43 AM
Our club was here before them and will remain long after them.

The same can be said about managers......

There is no "one size fits all" for problematic players, some need discipline, some need a bit more attention, some need something else.
If you consign a player to the scrapheap (particularly an underage player) just because he doesn't fit the managers plan or way of thinking then I think there is also a failing on the managers part.

That isn't an attack on any managers in this thread btw just an observation.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: doodaa on February 25, 2015, 10:00:19 AM

There is no "one size fits all" for problematic players, some need discipline, some need a bit more attention, some need something else.
If you consign a player to the scrapheap (particularly an underage player) just because he doesn't fit the managers plan or way of thinking then I think there is also a failing on the managers part.

I agree a 100%, but where do you stop? you bend over backwards for one player and then the other players take the hand out of you, or possibly see it as a sign of "this clampet just wants to keep him happy" "or hasn't a clue" Unfortunately it's becoming a bigger problem now, everyone has a view but not actually will to put any sort of effort in or raise their hand up to put the shoulder behind the wheel..

It's not a democracy, but yes a bitta common sense every now and then is the smart thing to do
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

doodaa

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on February 25, 2015, 02:06:25 PM

I agree a 100%, but where do you stop? you bend over backwards for one player and then the other players take the hand out of you, or possibly see it as a sign of "this clampet just wants to keep him happy" "or hasn't a clue" Unfortunately it's becoming a bigger problem now, everyone has a view but not actually will to put any sort of effort in or raise their hand up to put the shoulder behind the wheel..

It's not a democracy, but yes a bitta common sense every now and then is the smart thing to do

Unfortunately common sense isn't that common  ;D

I would say the rest of the non problematic players will just do what they normally do.
It is a tricky situation and a fine balancing act. One thing is for sure, issuing ultimatums and a take it or leave it attitude wont help either party.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: doodaa on February 25, 2015, 02:17:08 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on February 25, 2015, 02:06:25 PM

Unfortunately common sense isn't that common  ;D

I would say the rest of the non problematic players will just do what they normally do.
It is a tricky situation and a fine balancing act. One thing is for sure, issuing ultimatums and a take it or leave it attitude wont help either party.

Been down this road many times, juvenile teams right through to South Antrim to Senior, doesn't matter the grade or level, players always wanting to push buttons, play me there I'm better there!! Why am I not playing (you're fecking crap that's why) lol

Massaging egos is a pain in the hole

Would ye whist

From what I am hearing went down at St Mary's last week perhaps we should be looking at managing problematic managers!!

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Would ye whist on May 12, 2023, 11:20:15 AM
From what I am hearing went down at St Mary's last week perhaps we should be looking at managing problematic managers!!

I'm all for fire in the belly stuff and creating siege mentality but the fine line is bad discipline which leads to suspensions and most referees will take a hardline zero tolerance to any shit thrown their way, so its actually works against the team, 50/50 calls aren't given frustration mounts and so on

Hopefully what happened the other night is dealt with