Toe, in or out?

Started by Upandover, March 11, 2023, 08:02:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Upandover

During the lift does it really matter whether the toe of the hurl points in or out?
I seen a vid of martin fogarty suggesting he prefers the toe to point inward and is in the minority supporting this.
Reason i ask is my young lad lifts with the toe pointing in, hes very strong for his age group but his mentor is pulling him every opportunity and telling him to always have the toe facing outwards, should it be corrected or tell the mentor to beat it ;D

Kidder81

I don't think it's the end of the world but if he's young enough I would get him to do it correctly, toe out. If you dip it with toe in and then have to strike it you have to change your grip. In such a fast sport that split second can hinder a player. I know people may say sure whatever the child is comfortable doing but I'm guessing in IC hurling it's probably less than 1% dipping with the toe in. 

Milltown Row2

The most essential thing is lifting the ball as low as you can to the floor, less gap for defenders to pop the ball away the better.

If you can teach the kids the skills and allow them to develop them as a natural ability it'll improve them overall

Speeding up transition and primary possession fielding is everything
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Upandover

Cheers lads will try to correct it.
His brother was playing cack handed last year and it took a few months work to change it but we got there in the end and his striking has noticeably improved since.

Watching the tipp game this evening i did notice a few players dipping with the toe in though :-X

johnnycool

Quote from: Kidder81 on March 11, 2023, 08:51:32 PM
I don't think it's the end of the world but if he's young enough I would get him to do it correctly, toe out. If you dip it with toe in and then have to strike it you have to change your grip. In such a fast sport that split second can hinder a player. I know people may say sure whatever the child is comfortable doing but I'm guessing in IC hurling it's probably less than 1% dipping with the toe in.

This is it in a nutshell.

Other than having to change grip from the lift to the strike then 90% of hurlers it won't matter to but you want good habits trained into the kids as soon as possible without putting them off.

Antrim Coaster

Quote from: Kidder81 on March 11, 2023, 08:51:32 PM

Seen another video where Martin Fogarty advises toe out. Toe out every time for me.