Antrim Hurling

Started by milltown row, January 26, 2007, 11:21:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CitySlicker11

Who are we missing for the Westmeath game?

imtommygunn

Not sure but McManus, elliots, Campbell missing possibly more. Doubt all of them could be back but hopefully.

NorthAntrim

mcmanus didnt look like a boy who'd be hurling in a few weeks when he hobbled off v kk

NorthAntrim

hopefully campbell is fit. going by highlights we looked very soft down the middle of our defence v galway. Plenty to be positive ourselves heading into this game. Gave away a lot of soft scores v kk and galway who will punish anything but we put up respectable scorelines in both games. toss of a coin however v westmeath. will be hard for them to get going after the buzz of last week id imagine, fancy us by 3 or 4

NAG1

I'd be worried about this WM game now.

Injuries stacking up against us and now the momentum they have from their last result is the perfect storm against us.

saffman

Im thinking WM win last week sets us up better

Injuries are never a good thing and the more players back the better but IF and a big IF we thought WM were below us and come the last day we turn up, beat them and stay in the LmcC then last week totally dispels any thoughts of that

The players/management and everyone in Antrim now know exactly what we are facing at the weekend, with that attitude i am then confident that the players we have on the pitch are better than WM and will get the result needed

johnnycool

Quote from: saffman on May 23, 2023, 04:28:37 PM

Injuries are never a good thing and the more players back the better but IF and a big IF we thought WM were below us and come the last day we turn up, beat them and stay in the LmcC then last week totally dispels any thoughts of that

The players/management and everyone in Antrim now know exactly what we are facing at the weekend, with that attitude i am then confident that the players we have on the pitch are better than WM and will get the result needed

Need a few big hoors in the fullback line to deal with the high ball a lot better than how Wexford managed it..

marty34

Quote from: johnnycool on May 23, 2023, 04:51:33 PM
Quote from: saffman on May 23, 2023, 04:28:37 PM

Need a few big hoors in the fullback line to deal with the high ball a lot better than how Wexford managed it..

Turn that around and throw Niall Mc Kenna on the edge of the square.

WM find it hard to deal with that. A great out ball with a few sharp forwards buzzing around him.

podge

All credit to Gleason, his back room team and the entire squad.  A fantastic result under pressure and away from home. 

imtommygunn

BrendanAntrim

Absolutely brilliant. Well done lads

SaffronSports

Has McManus announced his retirement or intention to retire? Tweet from Antrim would suggest they think that's him done. Not a bad way to go out if that is him finished.

NorthAntrim

I can see him going again. Hes in fantastic shape and still delivering

Fantastic result

Antrim Coaster

Quote from: NorthAntrim on May 29, 2023, 09:37:05 AM
I can see him going again. Hes in fantastic shape and still delivering

Fantastic result

I think you might be right. I think after a good rest and recuperation that Neil will be around for Darren Gleeson's final year. Hoggie and TJ still producing the goods at a similar age. There was no mention of him retiring from county hurling until the Antrim Twitter feed mentioned it and I definitely wouldnt trust whoever operates the Twitter feed.

The strong breeze blowing down the field towards the Dunnes Stores end was definitely a factor. Westmeath started their comeback when Ryan Elliott was black carded in the 30th minute of the first half to lead by two at halftime. Antrim held out until halftime and when Elliott returned Antrim were back to 15, rattled off the next 3 scores in a row to take a lead they wouldnt lose. Used the breeze with some impressive scores from out the field.

Some of the catching from both sides was a joy to watch and Antrim must have went back to basics at some stage during their training as the blocking was top drawer.

Was one of those games where every player played well in their position (not unlike the Cushendall v Sarsfields match All Ireland semi final in 2016) . Jonty was buzzing around the forward line as was Niall McKenna, Coby, James Mc but I think Neil McManus was outstanding.

Large support in Mullingar for Antrim which was great to see.

Two Hands FFS

I think he'll go and it is the right time to go for him personally. Picking up the odd injury and you don't want to stay on too long. He's had an brilliant career for Antrim.