What Rule changes should the GAA introduce for football if any ?

Started by johnpower, October 01, 2011, 12:16:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cadence

don't like the professional foul on a player in on goal. punishment is lenient for that. + there's way too much timewasting as has been mentioned and hawk eye for championship games as most ire seems to be when there's a lot at stake.

thewobbler

Most of these comments are surely WUM?

If not, leave our game alone fuckwits.

4father

Quote from: cadence on October 03, 2011, 09:37:41 PM
don't like the professional foul on a player in on goal. punishment is lenient for that. + there's way too much timewasting as has been mentioned and hawk eye for championship games as most ire seems to be when there's a lot at stake.

A lot at stake?  But to the player playing in the Intermediate Longford championship quarter final without the benefit of the aforementioned ideas, there is also a lot at stake is there not?  The same rules should apply from Under 12 to the Senior Intercounty final and no exceptions should be made for the elite.

heffo

Quote from: 4father on October 03, 2011, 09:48:28 PM

A lot at stake?  But to the player playing in the Intermediate Longford championship quarter final without the benefit of the aforementioned ideas, there is also a lot at stake is there not?  The same rules should apply from Under 12 to the Senior Intercounty final and no exceptions should be made for the elite.

I don't get that logic.

There is no TMO in club Rugby yet it functions fine at the highest level.

Jinxy

If you were any use you'd be playing.

screenexile

1. Mark for a kickout caught between the two 45s.

2. All frees inside 45 taken off the ground.

3. Time keeping taken away from refs.

4. Sin bin for cynical fouling or anything that constitutes a yellow card ie. not attempting to tackle the ball!

4father

Quote from: heffo on October 03, 2011, 10:07:48 PM
Quote from: 4father on October 03, 2011, 09:48:28 PM

I don't get that logic.

There is no TMO in club Rugby yet it functions fine at the highest level.

We arent rugby though, our association should not be about elitism.

emmetryan

Try to look at rule changes from a perspective of 'can this make officiating better' when making any rule. Introducing the likes of hawkeye for example may only work at a high level but they won't make officiating at the lower levels worse. By contrast changes to the square ball other than total removal*, make life a lot harder for those refereeing at a lower level. Improving officiating tools available at the top level that doesn't increase the burden on the lower levels seems reasonable to me.

That isn't elitism, that's just using the available resources**.

*I know total removal is an option but I'm just using a practical example.
** Emphasis on available. The Rabo/Magners whatever league in Rugby has only partial video replay usage. In some games it isn't available, such as Leinster's last two home games, whereas in others it is. Where it is available they use it.
writer of the Tactics not Passion series at Action81.com

Eamonnca1

Quote from: emmetryan on October 04, 2011, 12:29:23 AM
Try to look at rule changes from a perspective of 'can this make officiating better' when making any rule. Introducing the likes of hawkeye for example may only work at a high level but they won't make officiating at the lower levels worse. By contrast changes to the square ball other than total removal*, make life a lot harder for those refereeing at a lower level. Improving officiating tools available at the top level that doesn't increase the burden on the lower levels seems reasonable to me.

That isn't elitism, that's just using the available resources**.

*I know total removal is an option but I'm just using a practical example.
** Emphasis on available. The Rabo/Magners whatever league in Rugby has only partial video replay usage. In some games it isn't available, such as Leinster's last two home games, whereas in others it is. Where it is available they use it.

+1.

Where is it written that every single club game should have the same standards of officiating applied as in an All-Ireland final? We reserve the best referees for the All-Ireland championships, why not have the best supporting technology there too?

4father

I think it would be a waste of money when so many clubs are struggling to.stay open at the minute. The thing is that its all of our association.

Plus how many Championship games would it be used for? Only those in Croke park which probably accounts for around 10% of Championship games

southsidejohnny

Get rid of referees. None have played the game at any important level. Most want to be noticed and a fair few are as biased as fcuk. Of course they wont be gotten rid of but they, most of them, are the single biggest cause of mayhem in the game. No consistency, no standard interpretation of whats a tackle and the biggest bugbear being, many refs sem to think that any doubt or advantage must always be given to the so called big teams.   

Denn Forever

I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

tbrick18

Personally, I think that introducing the Sin-bin would be the single biggest benefit to the game...well football anyway. If a yellow card meant sin-binning you're going to get a lot less cynical fouling, which results in more free flowing games, which results in blanket defence being less effective (not that I'm against blanket defence mind you). But as part of this we need clarification on what constitutes a yellow, particularly around 2-man tackles. Too many referees have their own interpretation of this.
So for me, sin-bin for a yellow and clarify what constitutes a yellow so all refs have the same clear direction as to when it's a yellow and when it's not.
this could be applied at all levels from under age to senior county without any expense and I think it would help the game.
I only mentioned the square ball thing as we came out the wrong side of it a few times this year....but I can see why the rule is there. No sure what the answer is around it. Perhaps umpires should also be referees and not the ref's son/brother/cousin/best friend and give them the authority to rule on square balls as opposed to letting a ref 50 yards away decide.

Bingo

Not a rule change as such but the inter-county season needs to be condensed. 4/5 weeks to play the first round of Ulster is madness, another 4/5 weeks to finish the competition. No reason why two games can't be played on the same weekend or even same day. Same applies to all provinces.

I'd also propose some sort of sin-bin for yellow cards. Use Rugby as the template where certain offences are yellow cards or persistance team following can result in yellow cards. The great weakness for this at the minute in inconsistent refereeing and that the tackle isn't defined.

Jinxy

Yep, the sin-bin is a good idea.
I remember that Dublin vs. Tyrone league game in Croke Park under lights a few years ago.
Hugely entertaining, lots of scores and the crowd loved it.
A lot of that was down to the sin-bin.
Of course the 'intensity' police were on here the next day giving out.  ::)
However I would tweak it slightly.
Sometimes a lad can genuinely go in for a tackle, time it badly, and end up getting a yellow.
The sin bin should be used to punish persistent fouling only otherwise players will be afraid to go in hard.
So keep the existing yellow card system for that kind of thing.
Maybe a different coloured card for the sin bin.
Magenta or turquoise for example.
If you were any use you'd be playing.