Tyrone Club Football and Hurling

Started by Gabriel_Hurl, November 09, 2006, 10:54:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Redhand Santa

There should only be 16 teams so it will change. If they go back to 5 starred and 10 not, then even if Tyrone got to All Ireland final the regular league season should be run off by the end of September. No matter what the only team playing football come December would be a team that reached ulster. There is no reason that every club (except teams in Ulster) should have no collective training in December, January of February. If season starting say late May/early June there isn't much need to be back to mid March.

PMG1

December, January and February would be all that most club players would want, players love playing and training you know, that's why most of them do it! If they know they have them 3 months off then they can go and plan things for those 3 months.

Going forward I think the coming season will be used to get the split right for the 4 division plan that was passed at county committee level and would have been in now only for covid. When that comes in it's 4 divisions of 12, each team plays 22 league games (play each team home and away), 11 starred which will be played while county season is ongoing and 11 unstarred which will go from mid July and be wrapped up before championship. I think the starred games should be weighted points wise (I.e 2 for winning a starred game and 3 for an unstarred game) but either way plenty of games from the start of May with championship in late Sept to mid November and 3+ months break after that, will be a great system

GlenMan

Quote from: PMG1 on October 19, 2021, 02:12:12 PM
December, January and February would be all that most club players would want, players love playing and training you know, that's why most of them do it! If they know they have them 3 months off then they can go and plan things for those 3 months.

Going forward I think the coming season will be used to get the split right for the 4 division plan that was passed at county committee level and would have been in now only for covid. When that comes in it's 4 divisions of 12, each team plays 22 league games (play each team home and away), 11 starred which will be played while county season is ongoing and 11 unstarred which will go from mid July and be wrapped up before championship. I think the starred games should be weighted points wise (I.e 2 for winning a starred game and 3 for an unstarred game) but either way plenty of games from the start of May with championship in late Sept to mid November and 3+ months break after that, will be a great system

Surely that 4x12 system isn't required now with the split season at National level? I assume there's been no mention of it because the idea's been dropped.

It was only suggested to deal with the circumstances at the time, which have now changed.

Redhand Santa

Quote from: GlenMan on October 19, 2021, 02:25:39 PM

Surely that 4x12 system isn't required now with the split season at National level? I assume there's been no mention of it because the idea's been dropped.

It was only suggested to deal with the circumstances at the time, which have now changed.

15 games is probably about right? Start towards end of May and play 5 starred games to early July. 2/3 week holiday break then so boys can plan stuff. Then play your ten game with county men wrapped up by end of September. Only issue is whether you keep league play offs to avoid penalising teams with county men (still should be time and have season finished by mid/end November).

PMG1

I would have thought all the more reason for it with split season. The big problem that turned up in the survey and workshops that all players done at that time was not enough games so it's a no brainier

The Golden Years

Whose smart idea was it to have the Carrickmore v Coalisland game in Galbally?  They had problems with traffic and parking for the ladies final last Saturday and with more of an attendance expected this Sunday it will be total gridlock. Only one side of the field is also suitable for spectators to view the game.  Surely Pomeroy, Dungannon or Edendork would have been more suited?

This is not a dig at the Galbally club BTW.  Their playing facilities are first class but the grounds is not suited for large attendances.

Wee Roddy

It is a great place for a league game or a ladies game like last week when 2000 might be the size of your crowd. I would fear for children trying to see the game to be honest but fair play to them. Its a great facility.
As well as this I see our girls are actually playing in Ulster in Cavan at the same time. There would be a few parents with children playing on both teams so surly this could be changed to facilitate promotion of our games.

W.A.G. Lover

Quote from: the_daddy on October 19, 2021, 03:53:09 PM
Quote from: PMG1 on October 19, 2021, 03:16:33 PM

I would have thought all the more reason for it with split season. The big problem that turned up in the survey and workshops that all players done at that time was not enough games so it's a no brainier

Will there be 11 weekends to finish the league before starting the club championship when the AI club is going to finish in the Calendar year? If there is then the 4 x 12s would be a great system.

I have heard that after this season, the county players are not prepared to allow anymore starred fixtures. Understandable when you consider there is possibly 9 county players relegated to Division 2 for 2022 (Eglish 1, Pomeroy 3, Galbally 2, Edendork 3), with the 9 starred games surely a massive factor .

If true that the All-Ireland Final is last week of July, and the club split season is introduced properly, organise the league cups as "pre-season" during June and July (Clubs to opt in/out). Reintroduce the 4 x 12 divisions, playing each team once so 11 league fixtures, beginning the 1st weekend in August (Latest start date – Depending on Tyrone).

If starred fixtures remain, the 1st 11 rounds can be played prior to Tyrone exiting the Championship, so starting early May, which still includes 2 week summer break.

Top in Division 1B, 2 and 3 would be promoted, to Division 1A, 1B and 2 respectively.
Bottom 2 in Division 1A, 1B and 2 would be relegated to Division 1B, 2 and 3 respectively.

The Championship would be dictated by your previous seasons finish so made up as follows:
•   Senior - 12 Division 1A teams & top 4 Division 1B (Including Senior & Intermediate Champions)
•   Intermediate – Bottom 8 Division 1B & top 8 Division 2 (Including Junior Champions)
•   Junior – Bottom 4 Division 2 & all Division 3

Using previous seasons league finish to dictate championship grade will also ensure the competitive nature of league football in Division 1B and 2 at least. Without introducing seeding, or playoffs, it is hard to implement the competitive nature for Division 1A and 3.

There is a serious gulf in talent between the top 8-12 teams in Tyrone club football with the rest of the county.
Reintroducing the 4 x 12 Divisions allows the top 8-12 to battle it out amongst each other in the league, with less cricket scores, whilst also allowing weaker teams to find their own standard at Division 1B, 2 or 3 and have the opportunity to enter the Championship in the Grade above.

11 League Games & Championship – Start League 1st weekend in August and finish last weekend November
22 League Games & Championship – Start League 1st weekend in May and finish last weekend November

Eire90

Quote from: W.A.G. Lover on October 19, 2021, 05:24:22 PM

Will there be 11 weekends to finish the league before starting the club championship when the AI club is going to finish in the Calendar year? If there is then the 4 x 12s would be a great system.

I have heard that after this season, the county players are not prepared to allow anymore starred fixtures. Understandable when you consider there is possibly 9 county players relegated to Division 2 for 2022 (Eglish 1, Pomeroy 3, Galbally 2, Edendork 3), with the 9 starred games surely a massive factor .

If true that the All-Ireland Final is last week of July, and the club split season is introduced properly, organise the league cups as "pre-season" during June and July (Clubs to opt in/out). Reintroduce the 4 x 12 divisions, playing each team once so 11 league fixtures, beginning the 1st weekend in August (Latest start date – Depending on Tyrone).

If starred fixtures remain, the 1st 11 rounds can be played prior to Tyrone exiting the Championship, so starting early May, which still includes 2 week summer break.

Top in Division 1B, 2 and 3 would be promoted, to Division 1A, 1B and 2 respectively.
Bottom 2 in Division 1A, 1B and 2 would be relegated to Division 1B, 2 and 3 respectively.

The Championship would be dictated by your previous seasons finish so made up as follows:
•   Senior - 12 Division 1A teams & top 4 Division 1B (Including Senior & Intermediate Champions)
•   Intermediate – Bottom 8 Division 1B & top 8 Division 2 (Including Junior Champions)

Using previous seasons league finish to dictate championship grade will also ensure the competitive nature of league football in Division 1B and 2 at least. Without introducing seeding, or playoffs, it is hard to implement the competitive nature for Division 1A and 3.

There is a serious gulf in talent between the top 8-12 teams in Tyrone club football with the rest of the county.
Reintroducing the 4 x 12 Divisions allows the top 8-12 to battle it out amongst each other in the league, with less cricket scores, whilst also allowing weaker teams to find their own standard at Division 1B, 2 or 3 and have the opportunity to enter the Championship in the Grade above.

11 League Games & Championship – Start League 1st weekend in August and finish last weekend November
22 League Games & Championship – Start League 1st weekend in May and finish last weekend November

will the top 4 go into league playoffs or just team top of league wins it

Gaafan2

It's been a tough season for ourselves. While we wouldn't like to admit it, it was alway going to be a big ask for us to stay up this year given the fact we'd be missing our 3 county men for over half the league fixtures. We just don't have the strength and depth to replace these men the same way the teams with bigger playing numbers can, Edendork and Galbally likewise. We hoped we'd get a massive life from the return of these men but it just hasn't materialised and its maybe a bit unfair to expect that given the poor season we'd been having. Its hard to know what to do but a return to 1A and 1B may be a good option.

Jimbop

Quote from: W.A.G. Lover on October 19, 2021, 05:24:22 PM

If only playing 11 league games a year is the answer then count me out. I'll go and play soccer - my local team play 40 games a season. The 15 league games and 1 championship game is the absolute minimum. Any less than that and it is completely pointless.

Of course clubs don't want to be without their county players and our club is no different, however there needs a balance. Current 9 starred games is too many. But if we can agree on 3 or 4 to get the clubs season going before August that would have to be the small sacrifice paid.

I do like thought of 22 league games but not sure how that would work. Would need mid week games to have any hope.

Under Lights

How have we not got a fixture list to the end of the year at this stage.
Even this week the fixtures were released showing intermediate games on Saturday, this was then changed to Sunday.

GaaFanatic123

Quote from: Tyrone11234 on October 18, 2021, 07:16:38 PM
Agreed. Although, their league position of last isn't a true reflection of their team. I'd say they're better than Galbally, Eglish , derrylaughan etc

Id disagree, they have played 4 games now including the championship, how many games have they won?

Jimbop

Quote from: Fionntamhnach on October 20, 2021, 12:44:14 PM
Quote from: Jimbop on October 20, 2021, 10:23:15 AMIf only playing 11 league games a year is the answer then count me out. I'll go and play soccer - my local team play 40 games a season.

Just curious - what local soccer league arranges to have their clubs play close to 40 games a season (assuming there are at least two cup competitions to play for)?

In mid ulster leagues there's 30 league games plus at intermediate level there's 5-6 cups so assuming you get through a round or 2 in a few of them you have 40 games.

Now I'm not suggesting that many games at GAA club level but there are certainly not enough games as it is so to suggest only playing 11 league games is madness. I really do think you'd lose a lot of lads to other sports. The training / games ratio is barely enjoyable as it is.

Heard a report today that the Fintona midfielder McGlinn planning a move to Dromore next year, big blow if true