Boxing Thread

Started by bennydorano, November 04, 2007, 09:00:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

muppet

Quote from: magpie seanie on June 10, 2010, 02:47:03 PM
So at least 5 bronze medals at these European Championship. Its simply incredible. I think RTE should be showing these 5 fights live. Boxing and to a lesser extent rugby are the only international sports we are consistently challenging the very best at and look at the difference in TV coverage. It couldn't be a class thing could it....????

Yes, boxing is not as classy as say the Eurovision Song Contest, Rose of Tralee and Kilnascully.

I seem to remember lots of promises and bandwagoning after Michael Carruth's Gold.
MWWSI 2017

Asal Mor

Paddy Barnes played to the system and I wouldn't blame him for that, but does anyone else think that that wasn't boxing. Two guys with both hands over their faces for the whole fight poking at each other. The second fight where Darren O Neill lost was far better. Two fighters laying in to each other and trying to hurt their opponent. That's what boxing should be. The scoring system is terrible. The old way wasn't perfect and we saw some terrible decisions but it didn't destroy the spirit and spectacle of amateur boxing the way this new system often does.

muppet

Quote from: Asal Mor on June 13, 2010, 01:51:39 AM
Paddy Barnes played to the system and I wouldn't blame him for that, but does anyone else think that that wasn't boxing. Two guys with both hands over their faces for the whole fight poking at each other. The second fight where Darren O Neill lost was far better. Two fighters laying in to each other and trying to hurt their opponent. That's what boxing should be. The scoring system is terrible. The old way wasn't perfect and we saw some terrible decisions but it didn't destroy the spirit and spectacle of amateur boxing the way this new system often does.

Sincere congrats to Ireland's latest European Champion ( he was wearing O'Neill's gear Tony).
MWWSI 2017

gallsman

Excellent performance by the Irish team all round. Great bit of redemption for Barnes after his tantrums at the Olympics.

magpie seanie

Well done to the Irish Boxing team and a great medal haul. Fair play to all involved.

nrico2006

'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

superblues

anyone know if you can see the duddy fight anywhere later tonight

tyroneboi

How did John Duddy get on last night?

Harold Disgracey

Chavez Jr. outpoints Duddy at Alamodome
(AP) – 3 hours ago
SAN ANTONIO — Julio Cesar Chavez Jr. unanimously outpointed Ireland's John Duddy on Saturday night in a 12-round middleweight fight at the Alamodome.
Chavez (42-0-1) dominated the early part of the fight with a steady dose of hooks and jabs, but Duddy (29-2) kept the pressure on and pushed Chavez to 12 rounds for the first time in his eight-year career.
"John is the toughest fighter I've faced so far," Chavez said. "He kept the pressure on and really pushed me farther than I've been to this point in my career. But I knew coming in that he was going to be challenging, and I was happy to walk away with the victory."
Former boxing star Julio Cesar Chavez led his son into the ring to an eruption of applause. The elder Chavez then did color commentary for the pay-per-view broadcast.
The fight was Chavez's first since 10-round unanimous decision over Troy Rowlands in November that was changed to a no-contest after he tested positive for a banned substance a diuretic and was suspended for seven months by the Nevada State Athletic Commission. The fight also was Chavez's first with trainer Freddie Roach, who guides WBO welterweight champion Manny Pacquiao.
Chavez returned to the place where he watched his father fight to a controversial 12-round draw against Pernell Whitaker in 1993.
"To fight in the same building that my father did is almost surreal for me," Chavez said. "I never thought in my wildest dreams that I'd be headlining at the Alamodome."
On the undercard, Marco Antonio Barrera (66-7) unanimously outpointed Adailton DeJesus (26-5) in a 10-round lightweight fight.
Copyright © 2010 The Associated Press. All rights reserved.

Atticus_Finch

Anybody see the ricky burns fight last night ?  if you haven't i'd recommend watching the highlights, it was a great fight.

Burns (a big outsider) went down in the 1st, before making a good recovery in the 2nd. After that it was a tight enough affair but Burns movement was more impressive and he was clearly landing more.  Turning point was the 5th round Burns had that easy.  But after giving his all in that round i didn't think he was going to last the distance and by the 7th round both fighters looked out on their feet.

But to their credit they kept fighting to the end.  With Burns taking a unanimous decision.  Two judges giving him the nod by three rounds and the other by two rounds.

Paul Mc Closkey's next fight is on the October 2nd in Letterkenny,  no disrespect to Barry Morrison but Dudey should have this by the 6th/7th round.  In the process i'm hoping he puts on a good show and gets the world title shot that he deserves.

The undercard for the fight is pretty good.  Andy Murray vs Johnny Nolasco is chief support.  I've never seen Nolasco dance but he is widely considered to be the toughest test that Murray has faced and his unbeaten record could be put to the test.

Also all the Cork based Cuban lads are on show as well, looking forward to seeing Alexei Acosta up close as he's developing a bit of a reputation as a knockout king.

Patrick Hyland is also fighting - the Dubs see this lad as their next Bernard Dunne.  Coleman Barrett, a Galway lad also features on the undercard,  Barrett put on an impressive display in the Heavyweight Prizefighter losing to Audley Harrison in the final.

Derry Club championship final is the next day.  I'm thinking i might as well make the night of it in letterkenny and walk to Celtic Park the next day  :D
"The one thing that doesn't abide by majority rule is a person's conscience."

DennistheMenace

Burns fight was excellent, if only he had a punch himself he could go a long way.

Atticus_Finch

Yeah, he does lack that bit of firepower.  Still very impressed considering he didn't blow kevin o'hara away when they fought.

There's no major fights to be made in the division he is in,  although him and Jorge Solis could be a good fight and he would have a good chance of winning that.

If he moved up one division there are plenty of big names there floating about the likes of Marquez and Katsidis but i wouldn't be overly confident that he'd have much success there.  If he's not showing much firepower at super featherweight then id say he would be well out of his depth at lightweight.
"The one thing that doesn't abide by majority rule is a person's conscience."

DennistheMenace

Yeah especially considering the likes of Katsidis are all about power and highly impressive KO ratios.

Your right the super featherweight division is lacking real quality but a few defenses of his title he can then think about were he wants to go. Warren will be rubbing his hands together after that win, the Scottish public will come out in force for Burns next fight and rightly so, very polished performance and as I said just wish he could generate more power to compliment his excellent technic and beautiful left jab.

Schkite

I see David Haye will be making his second defence of his WBA title against Audley Harrison!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/boxing/8968472.stm

Surely Haye should win this without much fuss? I thought his next fight was to be against a Klitschko though, if he's going to fight one of them he should be destroying Harrison.

ross4life

Sky are desperately trying to hype up this Harrison v Haye fight but in truth boxing is at all time low it's only saving grace will be Mayweather vs Pacquiao fight of course the rise of UFC/MMA hasn't helped
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open