Boxing Thread

Started by bennydorano, November 04, 2007, 09:00:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CiKe

Mayweather Mosley looking more and more likely after Berto pulls out of fight with Sugar Shane due to the Haiti earthquake (lost family members).

Not happy circumstances but great fight. Let's get it on!

Mario

Quote from: The Iceman on January 13, 2010, 03:24:47 PM
Hatton would really have to start dieting now - I was shocked at how heavy he is in recent pictures - he really let himself go.  Still a great lad and from all reports a real people's man with time for everyone but if you are going to remain competitive in professional boxing your weight cannot yo-yo 40 pounds between fights.
Seen him in Dicey's is Dublin over the summer, if you knew nothing about boxing and someone told you that he was a professional boxer you would laugh at them, a wee tub, drinking numerous pints of guinness.

Carmen Stateside

http://www.fightnews.com/?p=35626
"Ireland's" John Duddy made an impressive return to Madison Square Garden, annihilating Juan Astorga in round one. The inaptly nick-named "Aztec Warrior" took a knee a minute into the first round after Duddy (28-1, 18 KOs) bounced a right hand off his head. A left hook to the body a few seconds later dropped Astorga (14-4-1, 9 KOs) again, and this time referee Wayne Kelly waived off the bout at 1:55 seconds of round one.

Club Rossa

No harm to John Duddy,and i hope he proves me wrong ,but he is not world title material and i don't think he ever will be.

The Iceman

Duddy is only there to milk the Irish American money in MSG
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

randomtask

Quote from: The Iceman on January 28, 2010, 10:05:27 PM

fair f**ks to him hes makin a livin out of it, and hes is a good lad

JimStynes

Quote from: randomtask on January 28, 2010, 10:22:15 PM

I agree fair play to the fella.

ha ha derry

Paul "DUDEY" Mc Closkey to Defend the European Lightwelter in Belfast in March ;)

The Iceman

Quote from: JimStynes on January 28, 2010, 10:53:22 PM
Quote from: randomtask on January 28, 2010, 10:22:15 PM

I agree fair play to the fella.

I would agree too.  It's his job to fight where and who he is told to.  Luckily for him he makes much more money than any other boxer with his limited skills.  He will never be a world beater but will probably get paid as much if not more than someone who is.

Calling someone a poor boxer is not saying they are a bad person.  The lad just isn't all he is is made out to be in the ring.

Anyone with half a notion about boxing can see that

I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

Hurler on the Bitch

any links for the Brian Magee fight?

Hurler on the Bitch

Just to double check - Brian won?

Hurler on the Bitch

Quote from: hardstation on January 30, 2010, 10:32:44 PM
Quote from: Hurler on the Bitch on January 30, 2010, 10:28:36 PM
Just to double check - Brian won?
He did.
Good stuff - he deserves it! - as a fighter he has always had skill, guts and perseverance... They will be dancing on the streets of Lagmore and Turf Lodge tonight!

Club Rossa

That was a very good win for Magee,fair play to him.

whiskeysteve

Boxing thread has been dead for nearly a month so heres big Fraudley to liven it up with another comedy skit...

Audley Harrison sets sights on Klitschko brothers

Audley Harrison says he will target the Klitschko brothers if he manages to dethrone European heavyweight champion Albert Sosnowski in London on 9 April.

Harrison, 38, added that he is not interested in fighting WBA heavyweight champion and fellow Briton David Haye.

"No disrespect to David Haye, but no-one is talking about David Haye," said Harrison, an Olympic champion in 2000.

"They're all talking about the Klitschkos, so if I beat Albert, I want the Klitschkos."

Vitali Klitschko is the current WBC heavyweight champion, while his younger brother Wladimir owns the IBF and WBO belts. Either one is expected to fight Haye later this year if Haye defeats John Ruiz in April.

However, Harrison, who won promoter Barry Hearn's Prizefighter tournament last October to keep his career afloat, admitted that defeat to his Polish opponent at Alexandra Palace would end his career.

He said: "All I'm interested in at the moment is Albert Sosnowski and he will not give up that belt easily. The worst thing I could do is look past Albert. If I can't get past him then there's nothing in the future."

Harrison won gold in the super-heavyweight division at the Sydney Olympics, but four defeats in eight fights left his career in the balance before Prizefighter offered him a route back.

But Harrison admits he nearly walked away from the sport and almost gave up on his oft-stated dream of winning a world title.

"I have a personal mission to be a world champion. Call me delusional or crazy but I call it reality," added Harrison.

"When my contract with the BBC ended [in 2003] I lost my feel for boxing and the passion for boxing died. I left England and almost didn't want to box as I was that disheartened - you saw that in my performances.

"I was a shell and I had no desire. I was a totally broken man and it took a long time to recover from that. It took a lot of soul-searching and I asked myself what I wanted to do and I said to myself I wanted to achieve my goals.

"I had to lick my wounds and go back to the drawing board. Ability gets you to the top but character keeps you there.

"I had certain characteristic flaws but it's been part of my learning and journey. I wasn't ready to be the next Lennox Lewis in 2004 and it was almost a blessing that I lost as I had a chance to grow through adversity.

"I've been through so much in my career but I'm still here, still believing, still persevering and that's what character is. My moment of destiny is really close but I have a real obstacle in front of me.

"If he beats me to a pulp then I will know it's over. If Albert Sosnowski beats Audley Harrison fair and square then there will be no excuses as I'm 100% physically, mentally and spiritually ready to win.

"I want to get my London fans in their St George's T-shirts and I want to get nostalgic and hear chants of 'Audley', 'Audley', 'Audley'.

"I want to hear the fans of boxing, the fans of Audley, the fans of perseverance and the fans of overcoming adversity and get back to boxing."

Sosnowski, who is based in Brentwood, Essex, but originally hails from Warsaw, claimed the title with an emphatic points victory over Italian Paolo Vidoz in December.

But the 30-year-old is best known for a shock stoppage win against Harrison's long-term rival and current British champion Danny Williams in 2008.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/boxing/8528898.stm
Somewhere, somehow, someone's going to pay: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPhISgw3I2w

DuffleKing

How the fcuk is Audley still getting coverage or even being allowed talked about alongside profressional boxers.

Haye ain't great but he'd beat the hell outta Audley