Boxing Thread

Started by bennydorano, November 04, 2007, 09:00:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

YogiBear

Congratulations to Katie Taylor who won her second European Union title in a row recently.  Again she defeated a boxer from the host nation in the final.  This was her 35th win in a row which is remarkable for a 22 year old.  Hopefully they will get the womens boxing to the Olympics in 2012 so she can win Gold and get the world wide credit her performances deserve.

Disappointed that Paul McCloskey is out of his fight with Soulymane M'Baye on Friday night because of a hand injury.  Would have been a great test for Paul, one which I think he would have won, hopefully he gets another chance soon.  He is a great talent but at 29 needs to be getting big fights now.

downtown

Would anyone out there know of any training methods for boxing or have any contact details of anyone that i could get in contact with for a bita training? Doing a charity fight and would say i could be with a bita training for it!  ;)

Any help at all would be grateful and thanks in advance!

Dinny Breen

#newbridgeornowhere

Doogie Browser

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/northern_ireland/8130443.stm

Someone is going to have to pay for this once his Chair-ill gets involved.

The Iceman

Quote from: downtown on June 30, 2009, 10:40:00 PM
Would anyone out there know of any training methods for boxing or have any contact details of anyone that i could get in contact with for a bita training? Doing a charity fight and would say i could be with a bita training for it!  ;)

Any help at all would be grateful and thanks in advance!
Where are you located? There are a lot of local clubs around that you can train with.
Get yourself a good pair of adidas boots and good hand raps and a good mouth guard for starters
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

Archie Mitchell

Interesting concept here, sort of a bigger version of Prize Fighter that is on Sky Sports.  A few boys could make names for themselves in here.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/boxing/8137757.stm

Froch signs for Super Six series

Carl Froch is to defend his WBC super-middlweight belt against Andre Dirrell in the first fight of a 'Super Six Boxing Classic' series of bouts.

Nottingham's Froch has signed up for the new concept along with Dirrell, Arthur Abraham, Jermain Taylor, Andre Ward and WBA champion Mikkel Kessler.

All six super-middleweight boxers have agreed to fight any - and possibly all - five other contestants.

Froch, 32, is set to fight Dirrell in his home city in October.

"The stars have truly aligned," said Ken Hershmann, the boss of American cable TV broadcaster Showtime Sports.

"It began as an intriguing concept, and through a tremendous amount of hard work on everyone's part, we are going to pull off one of the most exciting events in boxing history.

"The 168lb division is the most talent-rich in boxing right now, and the Super Six structure will deliver one compelling match-up after another."

The six boxers involved have a combined tally of 161-4-1 with 117 knockouts, with Froch's record standing at 25-0 (20 KOs).

IBF middleweight champion Abraham (30-0, 24 KOs), of Germany will move up to challenge at 168lb.

United States Olympic bronze medallist Dirrell has a record of 18-0 (13 KOs), and Denmark's Kessler is 41-1 (31 KOs), his sole defeat coming against Joe Calzaghe.

Former undisputed middleweight world champion Jermain Taylor is 28-3-1 (17 KOs), and US Olympic gold medallist and number one-ranked contender Ward is 19-0 (12 KOs).

In the first phase of the event, each fighter will face three different opponents over the next 12 months in a points-based competition. A win is worth two points, a draw one, with no points for a loss.

The four leading points scorers advance to the semi-finals, with the top-ranked facing the fourth, and second facing third.

The winners will meet in early 2011 for the inaugural Super Six World Boxing Classic trophy.

As well as Froch v Dirrell, the first group stage will also feature Taylor v Abraham, and Kessler v Ward - the latter for Kessler's WBA title.

Froch successfully defended his WBC title against Taylor last April in Connecticut with a dramatic stoppage 14 seconds from the final bell.

milltown row

milltown row

khan is getting a fight now

kumquat

David Haye to fight WBA heavyweight champion Nikolai Valuev on November 7. Valuev is 23 stone and 7ft 2. Tall order for him giving away 7 stone and 9 inches.
Buy us a pint then Boselecta!!!

Doogie Browser

Bit of trash talk between Rogan and Sexton yesterday, might go to this fight, was anyone at the last one, or is it better to watch on telly to avoid 6k drunken spides?

Minder

Quote from: Doogie Browser on July 31, 2009, 02:56:58 PM
Bit of trash talk between Rogan and Sexton yesterday, might go to this fight, was anyone at the last one, or is it better to watch on telly to avoid 6k drunken spides?
My father in law went and said he wouldn't go again, he said the view was shit and you would see more watching it on the tv in the house.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

Doogie Browser

Quote from: Minder on July 31, 2009, 03:00:41 PM
Quote from: Doogie Browser on July 31, 2009, 02:56:58 PM
My father in law went and said he wouldn't go again, he said the view was shit and you would see more watching it on the tv in the house.
Thought that, bag of cans and roaring at the TV then for me.

DennistheMenace

Not a complete shocker that you get a better view on TV with the different camera angles than being there in the arena if your not in a premium seat.

Archie Mitchell

Anyone watching Sky Sports News?

Breaking news that Irish boxer Darren Sutherland has been found dead at his home.

full back

Seen on SS it is at 2am
Is this the actual fight or the time the programme starts at?

BTW, never drank my own p1ss before