Boxing Thread

Started by bennydorano, November 04, 2007, 09:00:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Donagh

What about Henry Coyle - did  he win?

Donagh

Quote from: DirtyDozen12 on May 16, 2009, 01:21:36 AM
No got the dung beat out of him by Neil Sinclair in a very impressive display it must be said by Sinclair.  Think it was stopped in the 3rd.

Frig. Watched him spar last week and thought he looked the business. Sean Grahams wouldn't take a bet on it - just as well, I was going to do a double with Rogan.

GalwayBayBoy

Very strange fight. Why didn't Rogan just punch him when he was out on his feet? I'd say a strong gust of wind would have knocked Sexton over at that stage. He was on queer street. The ref really came to his aid around then. Gave Sexton a break to put his gumshield back in. Probably spat out on purpose.

Still I'm sure there will be an immediate rematch.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: DirtyDozen12 on May 16, 2009, 01:45:39 AM
Quote from: Donagh on May 16, 2009, 01:29:08 AM
No got the dung beat out of him by Neil Sinclair in a very impressive display it must be said by Sinclair.  Think it was stopped in the 3rd.

Frig. Watched him spar last week and thought he looked the business. Sean Grahams wouldn't take a bet on it - just as well, I was going to do a double with Rogan.

Where is Neil Sincliar from? belfast is it/  If so what part?  You fimiliar with him Donagh?
Why don't you come out and ask if he is a prod or not? ;)

I remember seeing the programme about Breen a while back and Sinclair was in it. Was big things expected of him a few years back but a few defeats set him back.

milltown row

think Neill is from Ballysillan rd area

Minder

Did Kevin "sweet pea" O'Hara win on that card last night?
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

longball

Quote from: Minder on May 16, 2009, 03:48:11 PM
Did Kevin "sweet pea" O'Hara win on that card last night?

Yes, he won on points, comfortable enough
Spotted any unladylike behaviour report within:
http://gaaboard.com/board/index.php?topic=13209.0

ludermor

Quote from: Donagh on May 16, 2009, 01:29:08 AM

Henry had to lose a ridiculous amount of weight  in the 2 weeks leading up to the fight and was fucked before it. If he carries on he needs to move up a weight where he is more comfortable. I was staying the Malone lodge and all Warrens boxers were there and the ringgirls.
Frankie Gavin got some reception compared to the other two english lads. There was some amount of scrapping in the crowd as well!

ludermor

the girls were only there in the evening, they must have hit the town after as there was no sign of them after the fight ( or maybe they went to bed early but i doubt it)! They had a few drinks on them beforehand. The tall blonde one was some bit of gear, i thought she would fall out of that top a few times!

Doogie Browser

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/northern_ireland/foyle_and_west/8072308.stm
http://www.folkpark.com/whats_on/exhibitions/?article=1520

Looks like a great exhibition, runs until November so you have plenty of time people.

Fighting Irishmen: Celebrating Celtic Prizefighters 1820 to Present
29 May 2009 until 29 November 2009
'Fighting Irishmen' tells the story of Irish emigration through the sport of boxing. It is an eclectic collection of boxing related objects including robes, gloves, boxing bags, prints, photographs, paintings, films and other items. This exhibition offers a unique glimpse at the role prizefighting played in the history of Irish America.

In addition to names like John L. Sullivan, 'Gentleman' Jim Corbett, James 'Cinderella Man' Braddock, Gene Tunney, Jack Dempsey, Billy Conn and Gerry Cooney, the exhibition includes material on Muhammed Ali, who has Irish ancestry.

Irish actor Liam Neeson, himself a former fighter and Honorary Chair of the exhibition has stated; "Watching two great fighters, evenly matched, is, for me, one of the great visual poems you will ever see." There are selected memorabilia from Neeson's own boxing days on display in the exhibition. The story of Irish American boxing is also the story of Irish America itself. Back in earlier decades, as the Irish sought to find their feet, boxing was often a quick passport to a better life for those who had a talent for it. The Fighting Irishmen exhibition was organized by the Irish Arts Center in New York City under the direction of guest curator James J. Houlihan. Located in the heart of Manhattan's historic 'Hell's Kitchen' neighborhood, the Irish Arts Center is the pre-eminent organisation devoted to the promotion of Irish arts and culture in the United States. This exhibition has been supported, in part, by the New York State Council on the Arts, a public agency.

For more information on this exhibition visit:
Irish Arts Centre website, Fighting Irishmen

DennistheMenace

DennistheMenace

Quote from: DirtyDozen12 on June 14, 2009, 12:59:07 PM
Quote from: DennistheMenace on June 14, 2009, 12:51:33 PM
Wrong decision imo.

Just about to show it on Setenta sports 1 now at 1300hrs. 

Good man, cheers.

Carmen Stateside

Dont know if it was the wrong decision could have went either way.  Cotto dug deep despite the nasty cut, he was well on course up to that.  Clottey didnt take advantage of the cut although he had a leg injury aswell.  Cotto couldnt see the rights coming but Clottey failed to work on it, and what was he at in the last?? he hardly hit Cotto once which probably won it for Miguel.
How one of the refs scored it 116 -111 is beyond me  ???

milltown row

Carl Frampton won his first pro fight in Liverpool on Friday night. fighting for Barry McGuigan now. great lad with great ability i hope he goes far

ludermor

http://www.rte.ie/sport/boxing/2009/0620/ireland.html

Magnificent achievement by the boxing team/association. The IOC should have a look at the blueprint the IABA took and see where they can replicate it.