Boxing Thread

Started by bennydorano, November 04, 2007, 09:00:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

full back

Floyd must be getting p1ssed of with the lack of attention he is getting.......

Floyd Mayweather Jnr has gatecrahed negotiations between Manny Pacquiao and Ricky Hatton by offering the 'Hitman' a rematch.

Pacquiao's promoter Bob Arum had suggested a clash between the 'Pacman', currently regarded as the world's number one pound-for-pound fighter, and the light-welterweight champion Hatton could take place in the May.

But sources have since leaked the fact that Mayweather is looking to come out of retirement to take on the Mancunian once again.

Pacquiao cemented his place as the world's best fighter with a stunning knockout victory against Oscar De La Hoya earlier in December - and he remains Hatton's preferred option.

However the chance to set the record straight against Mayweather could be too tempting for Hatton to turn down.

Both Hatton and Pacquiao have spoken openly about their desire to meet in the ring, with the duo keen to see the fight happen.

"We are in negotiations with the Hatton people and I think we're moving closer," Arum said before the latest revelations about Mayweather. "I think it is the fight everybody wants to see.

"I can assure you it will not be at Wembley though.

"Not because Manny would be afraid to fight in England but because Wembley makes no economic sense, because we'll have to do it at 5am [to suit American television], outdoors, where there is a 90 per cent chance of rain."

GalwayBayBoy

Not sure why anyone would want to see Hatton v Mayweather again. Wasn't like the first fight was even close. Mayweather gave him a boxing lesson.

Pacquiao might give him a lesson too but I'd prefer to see that fight. It would probably be a much better fight as both guys like to come forward. Mayweather would just pick Hatton apart from distance.

ONeill

Holyfield beaten tonight.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Our Nail Loney

Stevie Haughian heading a card in Craigavon Leisure Centre the 7th February...

As for Khan against Barrera, what is he thinking, that is an astonishing step up in opponents!! Hes gonna get his head taken off.  :-\

nrico2006

I just heard about the Khan and MAB fight and was about to post the article I read on it.  Quite shocked that Khan is taking this fight, its a bit like him playing Vauxhall Conference sides every week and then jumping to play Real Madrid. 

The only thing working in Khans favour is that MAB is now 34 and is alot smaller than Khan who is a pretty big lightweight.  Apparently Barreras goal is to become the first Mexican ever to win a title in 4 different weight divisions. 
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

The Iceman

This has to be a wind up - why would Frank Warren let this happen?
Obviously it is no longer about a career but a quick pay day - no legacy nwo that he has already been beaten so throw him in with the sharks and let him get devoured.
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

bridgegael

there is only one way this fight is going to end and khan is  on the wrong side of it.  just looking a big pay day.  can't wait to see this fight,  and see amir get hammered...........again!
"2009 Gaaboard Cheltenham fantasy league winner"

Rav67

Barerra looked past-it when he fought Pacquiao and that was over a year ago at super-featherweight.  In saying that he did at least last the distance which is more than Khan would do against Pac-man.  Khan needs a fight like this before the media loses interest in him.

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: The Iceman on January 15, 2009, 01:45:22 PM
This has to be a wind up - why would Frank Warren let this happen?
Obviously it is no longer about a career but a quick pay day - no legacy nwo that he has already been beaten so throw him in with the sharks and let him get devoured.

They are obviously banking on Barrera being shot. He's definitely well past his best at this stage and Khan will be naturally a lot bigger than Barrera.

In fairness up and coming boxers take stick when they are given a load of bums to fight so in one way it is admirable that Khan is taking on someone like Barrera so early in his career. Whether it turns out to be wise is another thing altogether.

The Iceman

you could be right and he should get some credit for taking the fight and throwing his hat in there with the big guys - M.A.B still should have enough gas in the tank for Khan and I would hope that Khan get's landed on his arse again and convincingly beaten.  He needs a lesson in humility and will never win over the public - even by beating a legend.
It's a no win situation for Khan.

He beats Barrera and people will say he was over the hill and too small for Khan.
He gets beaten by Barrera and everybody will be happy to see him beaten again.

You would wonder what Frank Warren is thinking these days......
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

gallsman

Why is everyone saying this is a stupid fight for Khan to take? Barrera is shot and much, much smaller! Barrera has been fighting professionally since he was 14 and is too far down the road to pull a Pacquiao and beat someone considerably larger than him.

From Khan's point of view, regardless of the state of the opposition, it's the name that talks. If he wins, he'll always have a "W" beside the name of Barrera (a HOF shoo-in) on his record, and will catapult (deservedly or not) up the rankings.

Tommy Tight Lips

i well end up being totally wrong here but strongly fancy khan to beat barrera.like gallsman has pointed out barrera is much smaller than khan.unlike the situation with pacquiao and de la hoya where de la hoya was moving down a few weights and pacquiao up.this is case of khan fighting at a weight which he is comfortable with and barrera has fought at the lower weights in his long and bruising career.khan is kinda in a last chance saloon situation whereas barrera is near the end of the road.agree with iceman though,if beat khan will be finished and laughed at and if he wins he wont get much credit.

Rav67

I think he will get credit if he wins, Calzaghe still got a lot of headlines for beating RJJ who's been a shot fighter for years.  Anyone know the odds?  I think with it being in London I fancy Khan to beat him.

TacadoirArdMhacha

Quote from: Tommy Tight Lips on January 16, 2009, 05:30:09 PM
i well end up being totally wrong here but strongly fancy khan to beat barrera.like gallsman has pointed out barrera is much smaller than khan.unlike the situation with pacquiao and de la hoya where de la hoya was moving down a few weights and pacquiao up.this is case of khan fighting at a weight which he is comfortable with and barrera has fought at the lower weights in his long and bruising career.khan is kinda in a last chance saloon situation whereas barrera is near the end of the road.agree with iceman though,if beat khan will be finished and laughed at and if he wins he wont get much credit.

Why is it a last chance saloon? OK he's been beaten but the same avenues are open to him as other fighters i.e. re-take the Commonwealth title and a world title fight wouldn't be too far away which, if he's good enough, and keeps winning will lead to bigger and better fights. In facts it probably easier for Khan to recover from the defeat because of his profile and the fact that he's a hell of a good fighter to watch. Look at how many chances Harrison got and he's an absolute no hoper whereas Khan certainly has ability.

Assume this one is Pay Per view on Sky Box office?
As I dream about movies they won't make of me when I'm dead