JPGJOHNNYG

Quote from: Gmac on November 15, 2017, 09:10:26 PM
Quote from: Tony Baloney on November 15, 2017, 08:37:45 PM
Quote from: Gmac on November 15, 2017, 07:01:09 PM
Quote from: Avondhu star on November 15, 2017, 06:53:43 PM
Quote from: Gmac on November 15, 2017, 06:17:03 PM
Quote from: AZOffaly on November 15, 2017, 04:47:01 PM
They expected 450,000+ visitors.
if each viisitor spends an average of 2k what a boost to the economy it would have been.
Ireland is a very small country easy to get around
Have you tried to get from Letterkenny to Tralee?
bus to Dublin train to Tralee
And 10 hours after you set off you'd reach your destination. What's that - average of 50km/hr?
was there going to be games in Tralee and letterkenny featuring the same teams ? If not what's ur point.

Exactly the final list of grounds would have been Aviva, Croke, PuC, Thomond, Ravenhill, Casement, Pearse and Kllarney so all in cities except Killarney but it is the tourist centre of Ireland so all could have coped just fine. The infrastructure is a red herring. Ravenhill was rebuilt for 20million so a similar amount thrown at Pearse and Killarney would have got them up to spec. The only problem i see on the list is the lack of any progress being made on Casement. Looking forward to the games against Wales and Scotland next year. joe wont need much of a team talk lol

Syferus

Quote from: JPGJOHNNYG on November 15, 2017, 09:17:34 PM
if each viisitor spends an average of 2k what a boost to the economy it would have been.
And 10 hours after you set off you'd reach your destination. What's that - average of 50km/hr?
was there going to be games in Tralee and letterkenny featuring the same teams ? If not what's ur point.

Exactly the final list of grounds would have been Aviva, Croke, PuC, Thomond, Ravenhill, Casement, Pearse and Kllarney so all in cities except Killarney but it is the tourist centre of Ireland so all could have coped just fine. The infrastructure is a red herring. Ravenhill was rebuilt for 20million so a similar amount thrown at Pearse and Killarney would have got them up to spec. The only problem i see on the list is the lack of any progress being made on Casement. Looking forward to the games against Wales and Scotland next year. joe wont need much of a team talk lol

Kilarney being the tourist center of Ireland is news to me and probably the rest of the country too.

Spend the money on sports grants and better roads if you want to do real good.

Aaron Boone

France play South Africa this Saturday. Bit of needle there.

LooseCannon

Quote from: Bord na Mona man on November 15, 2017, 01:23:14 PM
I wouldn't put Dick Spring in charge of running a cake sale.
You should do a collection of one liners.

Hardy

Quote from: Syferus on November 15, 2017, 09:45:53 PM

Kilarney being the tourist center of Ireland is news to me and probably the rest of the country too.

Have you ever been to Killarney? It would host a WC rugby match and hardly notice the extra few thousand people in the town. There are more hotels in the Killarney area than in any other centre in Ireland, bar Dublin and Galway.

thewobbler

While I obviously suffer from confirmation bias, if FIFA can presume Qatar can host the world's biggest sporting event, then Ireland is more than capable of hosting an event a quarter the size.

—�-

World Cups are creating an interesting dichotomy for organisers. While every effort is being taken to ensure that competitors come from every corner and culture of the world, big money is ensuring that the tournaments are hosted in the soulless, barren spaces suitable for constructing modern stadia. It's impossible to present the culture and ethos of a nation from these spaces. So it becomes bland, identikit, dare I say American consumer style.

A trip to an Ulster Final day in Clones is all you need for evidence that the stadium should be secondary to the atmosphere. That's what you remember, not which seat you were in.

oakleaflad

Ireland team to face Fiji

IRELAND: A Conway, D Sweetnam, C Farrell, S McCloskey, D Kearney, J Carbery, K Marmion; J McGrath, R Herring, A Porter, U Dillane, D Toner, R Ruddock, J Murphy, J Conan.

Replacements: J Tracy, C Healy, T Furlong, K Treadwell, CJ Stander, L McGrath, I Keatley, R Henshaw.

Walter Cronc

Quote from: oakleaflad on November 16, 2017, 04:20:48 PM

IRELAND: A Conway, D Sweetnam, C Farrell, S McCloskey, D Kearney, J Carbery, K Marmion; J McGrath, R Herring, A Porter, U Dillane, D Toner, R Ruddock, J Murphy, J Conan.

Replacements: J Tracy, C Healy, T Furlong, K Treadwell, CJ Stander, L McGrath, I Keatley, R Henshaw.

Still baffled by how Tiernan O'Halloran isn't deemed good enough for this.

Owen Brannigan

What has happened to Sean Cronin, he does play for Leinster after all?

Crete Boom

Quote from: Walter Cronc on November 16, 2017, 04:43:41 PM

I think Schmit prefers a kicking game rather than a counter attack game especially from his back three and focouses the majority of his strike moves off first phase ball or set pieces. He wants players who win gain line collisions for second and third phase ball so I don't think any Connacht players apart from Dillane and Aki fit his game plan.
Connacht play an offloading attack at all times game which is high risk high rerward type game wheras Joe puts the emphasis on a mistake/penalty free teritory game to keep the opposition under pressure, killing them off with his stike moves.

manfromdelmonte

Quote from: Crete Boom on November 16, 2017, 05:18:17 PM
Quote from: Walter Cronc on November 16, 2017, 04:43:41 PM

I think Schmit prefers a kicking game rather than a counter attack game especially from his back three and focouses the majority of his strike moves off first phase ball or set pieces. He wants players who win gain line collisions for second and third phase ball so I don't think any Connacht players apart from Dillane and Aki fit his game plan.
Connacht play an offloading attack at all times game which is high risk high rerward type game wheras Joe puts the emphasis on a mistake/penalty free teritory game to keep the opposition under pressure, killing them off with his stike moves.
Connacht are moving away from that style now

Syferus

Quote from: Hardy on November 16, 2017, 09:32:56 AM
Quote from: Syferus on November 15, 2017, 09:45:53 PM

Have you ever been to Killarney? It would host a WC rugby match and hardly notice the extra few thousand people in the town. There are more hotels in the Killarney area than in any other centre in Ireland, bar Dublin and Galway.

Dublin is the tourist center of Ireland, hell its the center of put-any-word-here given how much it dominates every aspect of life in Ireland.

I have been to Killarney, but have only stayed in Tralee because it's a little more relaxed than Killarney. I still don't think our transportation infrastructure and accommodation could cope with 20-30k foreigners descending on regional towns. It'd be like multiple Feadh Ceoils without the music to distract from the sweaty, overcrowded futility of all.

Rudi

After all the help the IRFU gave the Italians they root for France. The Welsh were miserable and the Scotch were always b@stards. Back in 72 during the troubles the Scotch and Welsh refused to travel, the following year England did. They got a rousing reception.

Itchy