George Hook

Started by Boycey, September 13, 2017, 02:01:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

foxcommander

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on October 05, 2017, 06:14:50 PM
Quote from: Owenmoresider on October 05, 2017, 04:35:55 PM
Quote from: seafoid on October 05, 2017, 04:09:37 PM
This was huge 3 weeks ago. Now everyone has moved on. The news cycle is very interesting.
The social justice warrior activists masquerading as journalists got their pound of flesh and moved on, eagerly awaiting their next target to reveal itself.

Point of order: When did "social justice" become a term of abuse?

Probably when the social justice warriors decided that they are the new guardians of morality and public opinion. God help you if you don't sing off the same hymn sheet.
Every second of the day there's a Democrat telling a lie

Tubberman

Quote from: foxcommander on October 05, 2017, 06:44:09 PM
This was huge 3 weeks ago. Now everyone has moved on. The news cycle is very interesting.
The social justice warrior activists masquerading as journalists got their pound of flesh and moved on, eagerly awaiting their next target to reveal itself.

Probably when the social justice warriors decided that they are the new guardians of morality and public opinion. God help you if you don't sing off the same hymn sheet.

This guy's got a point. The rush to get Hook off the airwaves because his comments were offensive (understandably) was way OTT.
Just because you don't like what someone has to say, doesn't mean that person can't say it.
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

Esmarelda

Quote from: Tubberman on October 05, 2017, 07:56:43 PM

This guy's got a point. The rush to get Hook off the airwaves because his comments were offensive (understandably) was way OTT.
Just because you don't like what someone has to say, doesn't mean that person can't say it.
Never mind the viewpoint on the punishment due to Hook. You can argue either way on that. You can also argue whether a girl should look after herself better.

What you can't argue, in my opinion, is that the rapist is 100% to blame for the rape.

And as much as I back free speech I don't think it's as black and white to suggest that people can say what they want. I'm sure you can think of an extreme hypothetical example of something a national radio DJ shouldn't be allowed to say.

Then again if we're equating a well that a kid falls down to a person that kills a kid maybe it's a free for all already.

AZOffaly

Surely there's a difference between apportioning blame, which is what Hook did, albeit I think in a clumsy attempt to do something different, and advising and encouraging caution and sense. It's obviously great to encourage and advise someone to be aware of where they are, what they are putting themselves in the way of, making sure people know where they are etc.

But that in no way blames them if they get attacked, or raped. If I am in a strange city, and wander into a dodgy area by mistake, I'm not to blame if I get robbed or beaten up. I might have been more careful, but I wouldn't be to blame.

And at the back of all this, you have to be able to live your life. If you go around afraid to move, or interact with people, or enjoy yourself then you're already dead.

Tubberman

Quote from: Esmarelda on October 06, 2017, 10:24:30 AM

Never mind the viewpoint on the punishment due to Hook. You can argue either way on that. You can also argue whether a girl should look after herself better.

What you can't argue, in my opinion, is that the rapist is 100% to blame for the rape.

And as much as I back free speech I don't think it's as black and white to suggest that people can say what they want. I'm sure you can think of an extreme hypothetical example of something a national radio DJ shouldn't be allowed to say.

Then again if we're equating a well that a kid falls down to a person that kills a kid maybe it's a free for all already.

That was all I was trying to say - that Hook was (IMO) trying to make a point about people having to take some responsibility for the situations they put themselves it. I realise what he actually said is something very different, and I in no way go along with the "it's her own fault for getting raped" line. I don't think that's what Hook meant to say, but I accept that's how it sounded, and he deserved a lot of criticism for it. But protests to get him sacked, and boycotting the station was OTT. He apologised, and was suspended. That should have been the end of it.
I really think there is a mob mentality growing (on twitter especially) of people who see themselves as righteous and they are extremely intolerant of anything that doesn't go along with their viewpoint. We'll see plenty more of it with the abortion referendum coming up. 
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

Esmarelda

Quote from: Tubberman on October 06, 2017, 10:56:12 AM
Quote from: Esmarelda on October 06, 2017, 10:24:30 AM

That was all I was trying to say - that Hook was (IMO) trying to make a point about people having to take some responsibility for the situations they put themselves it. I realise what he actually said is something very different, and I in no way go along with the "it's her own fault for getting raped" line. I don't think that's what Hook meant to say, but I accept that's how it sounded, and he deserved a lot of criticism for it. But protests to get him sacked, and boycotting the station was OTT. He apologised, and was suspended. That should have been the end of it.
I really think there is a mob mentality growing (on twitter especially) of people who see themselves as righteous and they are extremely intolerant of anything that doesn't go along with their viewpoint. We'll see plenty more of it with the abortion referendum coming up.
When forming an opinion on these things I think we need to dismiss the mobs on one side and the "he was dead right" crew on the other side.

What you say is largely fine. However, I don't agree that it's not what he meant to say. You need to look at this in the context of what George Hook's show is.

It involves him coming on and throwing out a controversial statement and welcoming texts that criticise his comments. The intro to his show implies as much. He often makes an argument, is argued down and moves on because he's achieved what he wants; he's pissed somebody off.

You'd also have to assume that he prepares his rants before the show airs. It's not like he was in the middle of a heated argument and blurted something out. I'd say it was pretty much scripted. If anything, I'd say it's the apology that he didn't mean.

screenexile

f**k sakes lads that's life. . . when you're young and out looking for someone you go back to peoples houses or hotel rooms for a chat or another drink or a shift. It happens everywhere all the time.

Not that anyone here is apportioning blame to the girl but to say she shouldn't put herself in these kinds of situations is fucked up. We may as well not go out the door for someone could get raped going for a walk in the park . . . it may be late in the evening, approaching dusk, surely you should know better and not put yourself in that situation!

magpie seanie

Personally think Hook's comments were wrong and damaging, particularly to those who have been attacked/raped or work with victims. I can absolutely understand their anger. In a free society though we have to be able to listen to things we don't like. Vehemently destroy the bullshit arguments at every turn and move on. That's what having a free society is about. Just as Hook is entitled to make whatever comments he likes, so people are entitled to ask for him to be removed from his job for those comments. They're entitled to see where his employer stands on these comments. Again - people might find that distasteful or overly PC but it's their right in a free society.

PC does annoy me at times but we have to realise it was essential. Look at where our society has come from, how attitudes have changed etc since say the 70's and 80's? It has improved a lot in terms of inclusion and respect for differences. Not perfect but much better. If the price for that is a little over zealous PC stuff - I think it's a better price to pay than the alternative of intolerance, division and fear.

J70

Some things just don't require a devil's advocate. They're self-evidently wrong positions.

And it's not a free speech issue. Hook hasn't run afoul of any law, nor is the government trying to muzzle him. His employer decided he wasn't worth the effort to counter the backlash. He is free to spout his opinions on any other platform or street corner he likes.

Just unfortunate for him that victim blaming and "sure look what she is wearing, she's asking for it" logic has thankfully passed into impropriety.

Esmarelda

Quote from: J70 on October 06, 2017, 12:23:34 PM
Some things just don't require a devil's advocate. They're self-evidently wrong positions.

And it's not a free speech issue. Hook hasn't run afoul of any law, nor is the government trying to muzzle him. His employer decided he wasn't worth the effort to counter the backlash. He is free to spout his opinions on any other platform or street corner he likes.

Just unfortunate for him that victim blaming and "sure look what she is wearing, she's asking for it" logic has thankfully passed into impropriety.
Except they've given him a new slot.

J70

Quote from: Esmarelda on October 06, 2017, 12:33:47 PM

They have?

So what's all the complaining about? ;D

(Sorry, I'm in the US and not up to date on the day to day stuff)

Esmarelda

Quote from: J70 on October 06, 2017, 01:16:17 PM
Quote from: Esmarelda on October 06, 2017, 12:33:47 PM

They have?

So what's all the complaining about? ;D

(Sorry, I'm in the US and not up to date on the day to day stuff)
Yeah. He's "stepping down". http://www.independent.ie/entertainment/radio/george-hook-steps-down-from-lunchtime-show-but-will-return-to-newstalk-later-this-year-36158838.html

sid waddell

Quote from: foxcommander on October 05, 2017, 05:13:28 PM
Quote from: Esmarelda on October 05, 2017, 05:08:34 PM
Quote from: foxcommander on October 05, 2017, 05:03:22 PM
Quote from: Esmarelda on October 05, 2017, 04:56:58 PM
Quote from: foxcommander on October 05, 2017, 04:50:40 PM
Quote from: screenexile on October 05, 2017, 04:45:44 PM

Were they wrong?? Surely what he said was deplorable and rightly called out!!

George Hook spoke the truth. What he said wasn't politically correct and he got punished for it.
That's how it works these days. Mass hysteria from those who are permanently offended by anyone who disagrees with how they've been instructed to think.
How can an opinion be the truth? He gave a view. Many have argued for or against it. Your contribution is that it's the truth and the usual tripe about mass hysteria. All that's missing is "PC brigade". Why don't you argue your point? Which part are you claiming to be the truth or are you just playing your usual "George Hook of the GAAboard" role?

I've already argued my point if you care to read back a couple of pages. If you want to believe that someone is not responsible for putting themselves in dangerous situations with strangers then that's your opinion. I can't agree with you.

Maybe you can argue that it's ok to tell kids to get into that car with a stranger? What's the worst that can happen eh?
Tell me this George. If your kid got into a car and ended up being murdered, would you be able to bring yourself to say that they were partly to blame for the murder? I mean that'd be the truth wouldn't it?

Of course they would be - they shouldn't have got into the car. What's your point?
Just bumping this for the Tom Humphries case.

Was the victim to blame for her own sexual abuse, foxkkkommander?

sid waddell

Cat got your tongue, foxy?  :P