Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Johnnysboys

Tg4 will spend a serious amount of time going around division 2 next year. Pity we weren't still in it..

Mourne Red

Well... After that result I'm sure it will be a calm and collect discussion on here

Kong King

Quote from: Mourne Red on March 27, 2022, 03:58:54 PM
Well... After that result I'm sure it will be a calm and collect discussion on here

Popcorn at the ready

SHEEDY

there's been some disappointing days for Down over the years but this league campaign has been the poorest in a long time, no fight, no desire, relegated with hardly a whimper. Apathy among the players, apathy among the support, sad times to see how poor we are. Division 3 is where we deserve to be unfortunately.
nil satis nisi optimum

5times5times

"we're sh1t, and we know we are, we're sh1t and we know we are"

Down
Offaly
Westmeath
Antrim
Fermanagh
Laois
Cavan
Tipp

Hard2Listen2

Quote from: Mourne Red on March 27, 2022, 03:58:54 PM

Wasn't at it but heard in The Old Tom from a very well informed official that Sean Og, Jack Devenney & Vlad Putin are to blame.

snoopdog

If Monaghan play like they did today it will be some ulster championship hiding.

mourneman9194

Nice precedent set by Down this past 2 weeks. You can go on drink in the lead up to a season defining game and still represent your county. Unbelievable.

Lotto

Quote from: 5times5times on March 27, 2022, 05:09:32 PM

Down
Offaly
Westmeath
Antrim
Fermanagh
Laois
Cavan
Tipp

Who would you be confident of beating based on this years performances? James Mc Cartan, Aidan O'Rourke and Ronan Mc Mahon have been working with these lads now for months and there has been zero progress. You can all talk about a late start which is fair enough but they have not managed to catch up at all on the teams above us in Division 2. They have also been let down by many individuals both on and off the field which doesn't lead to positivity in the dressing room. Rumours of bust ups after games again doesn't help either and shows serious signs of division which should not be happening and should not be talked about outside of the panel. The management may have already lost the dressing room and with a defeat to Monaghan inevitable, we could again go a year without a win.

mourneman9194

Quote from: Lotto on March 27, 2022, 06:41:20 PM

Down
Offaly
Westmeath
Antrim
Fermanagh
Laois
Cavan
Tipp

Who would you be confident of beating based on this years performances? James Mc Cartan, Aidan O'Rourke and Ronan Mc Mahon have been working with these lads now for months and there has been zero progress. You can all talk about a late start which is fair enough but they have not managed to catch up at all on the teams above us in Division 2. They have also been let down by many individuals both on and off the field which doesn't lead to positivity in the dressing room. Rumours of bust ups after games again doesn't help either and shows serious signs of division which should not be happening and should not be talked about outside of the panel. The management may have already lost the dressing room and with a defeat to Monaghan inevitable, we could again go a year without a win.

Division 3 will be a dog fight next week. No easy games on that list. You are completely right about the player bust ups, doesn't seem to be much harmony within the squad at the moment. The team now have 2 weeks off, I imagine to regroup with the clubs. I heard through someone on the panel that this 2 week break is mainly to allow tensions within the squad to settle down. I'm not sure this team can tactically afford 2 weeks away. Long term, this lack of senior leadership could really harm the young lads coming onto the panel, standards have to be identified and outlined, and if senior players aren't holding players accountable then we will see repeats of this season happening again and again.

Lotto

So at a time to prepare for Championship when Down started much later than most other teams and have used this as an excuse for their performances in Division 2, they then give the players a break. Seriously, you couldn't make it up. What a mess.

Too many steps

Quote from: Oglach on March 27, 2022, 11:26:51 AM
Quote from: Oglach on March 27, 2022, 11:25:30 AM
Quote from: redandblackareback on March 27, 2022, 09:48:36 AM
Quote from: Lotto on March 26, 2022, 07:21:12 PM
Coming from Laverty's own club gave lads a serious advantage last year and the same this year from what I see. I hope this years lads don't let the show down like they did last year at the end.

Down Minors beat 3.13 - 1.07 and not a mention on our social media outlets. Would there be any chance that we could find out when our teams are playing games so we could go and watch them?

The number 4 Friday night would never make any other county team, you are right, Laverty will put the development of Kilcoo players first. His loyalty for Kilcoo cost him last year, letting the county down v Roscommon. The boy in question who is suspended has plenty of history eye gouging, and no doubt will be straight back in v Tyrone next week.

The senior set up goes from bad to worse, Kane back in goals after going on a stag last weekend, players laughing at management, our standards must have disappeared altogether.
Laughable, this team at U-17 were beaten by Fermanagh with 9 -11 starters from Burren and a Burren Manager! Laverty and Clarke have righted some wrongs.
Taking nothing away from the particular Burren team as they were very good but to say to all other clubs in the county that your service's isn't required because Burren are here was ridiculous.
Back to reality, they'll do very well to beat Tyrone. We're quite as strong as last year.
#not
You  can add another correction.

This was *not* the team that were  beaten by Fermanagh 2 years ago. They would be u19 now. Next years u20 is the year group beaten by Fermanagh.

Kong King

Quote from: Lotto on March 27, 2022, 06:41:20 PM

Down
Offaly
Westmeath
Antrim
Fermanagh
Laois
Cavan
Tipp

A year without a win and quite possibly relegation to Div 4 early next year. Sadly, that's the way it is looking

Lloyd p

Wouldn't read into the whole player bust up thing too much. It's common place in teams especially when things aren't going well. Maybe these players care more than they are being given credit for and the quality to play division 2 football just isn't there at the minute. On another note, has there been a few players that have left the panel in recent weeks? Seems to be some noticeable absences.

Oglach

Quote from: Too many steps on March 27, 2022, 07:05:59 PM
Quote from: Oglach on March 27, 2022, 11:26:51 AM
Quote from: Oglach on March 27, 2022, 11:25:30 AM
Quote from: redandblackareback on March 27, 2022, 09:48:36 AM
Quote from: Lotto on March 26, 2022, 07:21:12 PM
Coming from Laverty's own club gave lads a serious advantage last year and the same this year from what I see. I hope this years lads don't let the show down like they did last year at the end.

Down Minors beat 3.13 - 1.07 and not a mention on our social media outlets. Would there be any chance that we could find out when our teams are playing games so we could go and watch them?

The number 4 Friday night would never make any other county team, you are right, Laverty will put the development of Kilcoo players first. His loyalty for Kilcoo cost him last year, letting the county down v Roscommon. The boy in question who is suspended has plenty of history eye gouging, and no doubt will be straight back in v Tyrone next week.

The senior set up goes from bad to worse, Kane back in goals after going on a stag last weekend, players laughing at management, our standards must have disappeared altogether.
Laughable, this team at U-17 were beaten by Fermanagh with 9 -11 starters from Burren and a Burren Manager! Laverty and Clarke have righted some wrongs.
Taking nothing away from the particular Burren team as they were very good but to say to all other clubs in the county that your service's isn't required because Burren are here was ridiculous.
Back to reality, they'll do very well to beat Tyrone. We're quite as strong as last year.
#not
You  can add another correction.

This was *not* the team that were  beaten by Fermanagh 2 years ago. They would be u19 now. Next years u20 is the year group beaten by Fermanagh.
I stand corrected on the date/year. I believe my point is still valid though.
I was simply pointing out some of the double standards read here.