Author Topic: Down Club Hurling & Football  (Read 7130476 times)

Truth hurts

• View Profile
Re: Down Club Hurling & Football
« Reply #37800 on: May 12, 2022, 11:20:42 AM »
I see the new Down GAA coaching and Games development plan for 2022 - 2027 presentation is out to the clubs for review and to presented tonight in the Burrendale.

By the looks of it we're going cap in hand to Croke Park with a plan and we're entirely right to do so.

As I said in our place, these plans aren't worth my arsť full of warm snow unless they translate out onto the green grass in a meaningful way.

can you post it please?

downtothecore

• View Profile
« Reply #37801 on: May 12, 2022, 11:26:58 AM »
Very disappointing situation with our county football teams.  It would be great to see everyone pulling together for the cause, everyone willing to make themselves available and having packed grounds of the red and black. Here is hoping.

thewobbler

• View Profile
    • Balllyholland Harps GAC
« Reply #37802 on: May 12, 2022, 12:35:59 PM »
You know folks, sometimes seasons just fall apart.

Usually the best thing everyone can do is just accept it, reach the end of the season as quickly as possible, take a break from each other, and come back with charged batteries and focus.

Withholding players from clubs during the Tailteann Cup is, in my mind, madness. Actually, training for this competition is madness. There is no thirst for it among players, supporters, managers or administrators. Forcing players to choose between club competitions they really want to play in (most of them anyhow) and county competitions they are meh about, well thatís just daft.

So just send the players back to their clubs, and field a team in Tailteann when the day comes.

johnnycool

• View Profile
« Reply #37803 on: May 12, 2022, 01:03:36 PM »
I see the new Down GAA coaching and Games development plan for 2022 - 2027 presentation is out to the clubs for review and to presented tonight in the Burrendale.

By the looks of it we're going cap in hand to Croke Park with a plan and we're entirely right to do so.

As I said in our place, these plans aren't worth my arsť full of warm snow unless they translate out onto the green grass in a meaningful way.

can you post it please?

It's a PPT.

Speak to you club secretary, they'll have it.

Mourne Red

• View Profile
« Reply #37804 on: May 12, 2022, 01:25:32 PM »
You know folks, sometimes seasons just fall apart.

Usually the best thing everyone can do is just accept it, reach the end of the season as quickly as possible, take a break from each other, and come back with charged batteries and focus.

Withholding players from clubs during the Tailteann Cup is, in my mind, madness. Actually, training for this competition is madness. There is no thirst for it among players, supporters, managers or administrators. Forcing players to choose between club competitions they really want to play in (most of them anyhow) and county competitions they are meh about, well thatís just daft.

So just send the players back to their clubs, and field a team in Tailteann when the day comes.

+1 On TheWobs side for once on here lol

Truth hurts

• View Profile
« Reply #37805 on: May 12, 2022, 02:43:22 PM »
I think James is weeding out the bluffers, for Down to improve they need to create a culture of pride and not egos. A few lads think they are too good even though they have failed to perform. When you have a fall out with every manager you play for then you have to evaluate whether they are you are the root cause of the problem.

SticksandStones

• View Profile
« Reply #37806 on: May 12, 2022, 03:20:13 PM »
From what I thought, i always would have thought Mooney as much more of a county man than a club man, from the impression I got anyway he seemed to care much more about Down GAA than rostrevor, so im rathered suprised that he would have walked from the county over not being able to play for Downpatrick. This may be the case indeed, but im still a tad suprised

manwithnoplan

• View Profile
« Reply #37807 on: May 12, 2022, 07:44:17 PM »
From what I thought, i always would have thought Mooney as much more of a county man than a club man, from the impression I got anyway he seemed to care much more about Down GAA than rostrevor, so im rathered suprised that he would have walked from the county over not being able to play for Downpatrick. This may be the case indeed, but im still a tad suprised

Maybe missing another 2 club games was just too much, and RGU have had a few poor results so helping to keep his club in division 1 would be more appealing than a couple of games in a competition most players didn't want. You could maybe understand them being asked not to play next weekend, but not this weekend.

rosskarr

• View Profile
« Reply #37808 on: May 12, 2022, 08:27:06 PM »
I think James is weeding out the bluffers, for Down to improve they need to create a culture of pride and not egos. A few lads think they are too good even though they have failed to perform. When you have a fall out with every manager you play for then you have to evaluate whether they are you are the root cause of the problem.
  James hasnít weeded out the bluffers.Some players have walked out on him.Other than a few lightweights who were removed from the extended panel ongoing itís as you were.James should
have walked about three weeks ago when the discipline broke down.He showed weakness by coming
back.He has certainly gone down in a lot of peopleís estimation in his handling of the affairs. When he came back he should shown the road to the rule breakers.

Brick Tamlin

• View Profile
« Reply #37809 on: May 12, 2022, 09:30:56 PM »
Fair amount of fellas on here who've obviously managed and coached at the highest level. All the solutions right here. Who'd have thunk

Too many steps

• View Profile
« Reply #37810 on: May 12, 2022, 10:36:46 PM »

Maybe missing another 2 club games was just too much, and RGU have had a few poor results so helping to keep his club in division 1 would be more appealing than a couple of games in a competition most players didn't want. You could maybe understand them being asked not to play next weekend, but not this weekend.

Down have a challenge match on Saturday apparently. Guess this is why county players have been asked not to play tomorrow.

Wildweasel74

• View Profile
« Reply #37811 on: May 12, 2022, 10:48:06 PM »
Down better going with 30 players who want to play for Down and not disappear to America, Australia or drop if the panel. Derry went through 107 players in less than 10yrs, it was a joke. Down beat Derry in Newry 2yrs ago. Gallagher got rid of maybe 8/10 players I have thought good enough to start / on the panel. Due to either attitude or couldn't commit. Down gonna go the same way. Derry keep Slaughtneil on board to backbone the team, Kilcoo seem to they too good for the county team.

6th sam

• View Profile
« Reply #37812 on: May 12, 2022, 11:10:32 PM »
Down better going with 30 players who want to play for Down and not disappear to America, Australia or drop if the panel. Derry went through 107 players in less than 10yrs, it was a joke. Down beat Derry in Newry 2yrs ago. Gallagher got rid of maybe 8/10 players I have thought good enough to start / on the panel. Due to either attitude or couldn't commit. Down gonna go the same way. Derry keep Slaughtneil on board to backbone the team, Kilcoo seem to they too good for the county team.

Down are in a potentially strong position . Worst case scenario is they go to div 4.  Conor Laverty and his set up will look after emerging talent at u20. New coaching development pathway could be Dublinesque with GPO support in every club . Kilcooís all-ireland success will hopefully convert to county spin-off over next couple of years( this usually happens with successful club teams). Ballykinlar due to start .
Importantly we will hopefully benefit from lowered expectations , allowing us to focus on development with mature realism . We are nowhere near a top football county for a variety of reasons. We are close to rock bottom . Letís get organised, get real and we have enough opportunities as listed above to be able to weed out those without the attitude required for the top. What have we got to lose anymore?
If players either canít or wonít commit , move on with those that will ( no resentment towards those that canít/wonít commit). There is no current Down player that is indispensable , and apart from Kilcoo , few are winners at present . Letís get behind a medium to long term plan, and sacrifice short term
Success to focus on getting our ethos right .

rosskarr

• View Profile
« Reply #37813 on: May 12, 2022, 11:52:44 PM »

Down are in a potentially strong position . Worst case scenario is they go to div 4.  Conor Laverty and his set up will look after emerging talent at u20. New coaching development pathway could be Dublinesque with GPO support in every club . Kilcooís all-ireland success will hopefully convert to county spin-off over next couple of years( this usually happens with successful club teams). Ballykinlar due to start .
Importantly we will hopefully benefit from lowered expectations , allowing us to focus on development with mature realism . We are nowhere near a top football county for a variety of reasons. We are close to rock bottom . Letís get organised, get real and we have enough opportunities as listed above to be able to weed out those without the attitude required for the top. What have we got to lose anymore?
If players either canít or wonít commit , move on with those that will ( no resentment towards those that canít/wonít commit). There is no current Down player that is indispensable , and apart from Kilcoo , few are winners at present . Letís get behind a medium to long term plan, and sacrifice short term
   Letís get behind Conor & Karl in the revolution.On the subject of ethos- Conor is managing who this season for free?🤪
« Last Edit: May 12, 2022, 11:58:28 PM by rosskarr »

rafla ta se

• View Profile
« Reply #37814 on: May 13, 2022, 10:10:05 AM »

Letís get behind Conor & Karl in the revolution.On the subject of ethos- Conor is managing who this season for free?🤪

::) 6thSam may have the answer re free managment
« Last Edit: May 13, 2022, 10:11:37 AM by rafla ta se »