Mass

Started by Olly, May 04, 2022, 04:50:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Farrandeelin

Quote from: Tony Baloney on May 05, 2022, 10:27:38 PM
I ditched Mass when I got out of sight from my Granny! Never believed a word of it but attendance was compulsory! However, it does bring a lot of comfort to the older generation but it is fcuked as an institution in Ireland if they don't find a way of keeping and retaining priests. For me that has to start with letting them marry.

A huuuge +1 on that front for me.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Farrandeelin on May 06, 2022, 09:16:22 AM
Quote from: Tony Baloney on May 05, 2022, 10:27:38 PM
I ditched Mass when I got out of sight from my Granny! Never believed a word of it but attendance was compulsory! However, it does bring a lot of comfort to the older generation but it is fcuked as an institution in Ireland if they don't find a way of keeping and retaining priests. For me that has to start with letting them marry.

A huuuge +1 on that front for me.

And pay them ! They'd be lining up to join
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Eamonnca1

Quote from: armaghniac on May 05, 2022, 10:59:25 PM
Quote from: Eamonnca1 on May 05, 2022, 09:52:55 PM
Our little ones will never see the inside of a church as long as I have anything to do with it.

Perhaps they'll have the same respect for your views as you had for your parents.

I have nothing but respect for my parents. I just never agreed with them on religion. Never will. They're cool with that and so am I.

ONeill

Wait til the Will.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Captain Obvious

Itchy

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on May 05, 2022, 08:22:16 PM
Am sure they bring you back Itchy when they are burying you or you gona go the cremated route and give some die hard you grave spot?.

Neither, I am going to go be laid out like a viking on a boat pushed out to sea and a flaming arrow set me and the boat on fire. What a way to go! But there will be no f**king priest anywhere near me lad, I can tell you that for certain.

RadioGAAGAA

Quote from: restorepride on May 05, 2022, 08:38:43 PM
Quote from: Itchy on May 05, 2022, 05:48:31 PM
I don't tbink people stay away from mass because its not modern. I think its because many have evolved to see religion for the irrelevant bullshit it is. Modernise away, it won't bring me or my likes back.
Couldn't agree more. One of the biggest cons in the history of the human race and still the wee ones are indoctrinated daily in our schools. No wonder some grow up with guilt and a lack of self-esteem - "weeping and mourning in this valley if tears".

Indeed.

A load of superstitious nonsense - Christianity probably being based on a rake of wee stories told to kids in the back of the carts in Roman Italy or something ffs.

If it weren't for the indoctrination program ran through schools then it'd have disintegrated centuries ago (probably to be replaced with something similar though up until the age of information!).

Missus is very much opposite of me. So I've little choice but to play along to keep the peace.
i usse an speelchekor

thewobbler

Quote from: RadioGAAGAA on May 06, 2022, 09:50:45 PM
Quote from: restorepride on May 05, 2022, 08:38:43 PM
Quote from: Itchy on May 05, 2022, 05:48:31 PM
I don't tbink people stay away from mass because its not modern. I think its because many have evolved to see religion for the irrelevant bullshit it is. Modernise away, it won't bring me or my likes back.
Couldn't agree more. One of the biggest cons in the history of the human race and still the wee ones are indoctrinated daily in our schools. No wonder some grow up with guilt and a lack of self-esteem - "weeping and mourning in this valley if tears".

Indeed.

A load of superstitious nonsense - Christianity probably being based on a rake of wee stories told to kids in the back of the carts in Roman Italy or something ffs.

If it weren't for the indoctrination program ran through schools then it'd have disintegrated centuries ago (probably to be replaced with something similar though up until the age of information!).

Missus is very much opposite of me. So I've little choice but to play along to keep the peace.

In my very humble opinion on this, religion still offers a more satisfying (and I daresay, every bit as conclusive) solution for the "what the f**k is it all about?" question as science has ever come close to delivering.

I can't buy into religion myself. But I can fully comprehend why a human mind that can't help focusing on "is this really it?", will settle on a God.

The bit that has disturbed me from i was a young teenager surrounds the sheer and unrepentant steadfastness, that going through the same mindnumbingly repetitive  ritual every week, could be interpreted as a satisfying expression of faith.

If there is a God up there, and he's both omnipresent and omniscient, and also in our image, there is no relatable way that he/she/it could attain fulfilment from a billion catholics standing, sitting, kneeling on repeat for an hour, while mumbling through words they've never paused to think about.

armaghniac

Quote from: thewobbler on May 06, 2022, 11:36:12 PM
If there is a God up there, and he's both omnipresent and omniscient, and also in our image, there is no relatable way that he/she/it could attain fulfilment from a billion catholics standing, sitting, kneeling on repeat for an hour, while mumbling through words they've never paused to think about.

Religious services may lack variety, but the motivation for collective activity is not so different as the motivation to go to GAA games and where the whole parish get together to cheer for the one team.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

RadioGAAGAA

Yeah, if there is a creator - then they definitely don't give 2 shites for listening to a congregation mumble through an hour in a old stone shed.

I've had it put to me (by someone not in organised religion) that if "God" existed before the universe - they may or may not have had much stimuli - and so created the universe to experience things through life.

Dunno if that makes much sense when considering the experiences accrued by a worm or bacteria or something - but perhaps at least a little bit more sense than a Abrahamic god.
i usse an speelchekor

restorepride

Quote from: armaghniac on May 07, 2022, 01:37:02 AM

Religious services may lack variety, but the motivation for collective activity is not so different as the motivation to go to GAA games and where the whole parish get together to cheer for the one team.
Is that why Peter Canavan is called God?!! At least Peter is real.

Eamonnca1

Quote from: Itchy on May 06, 2022, 09:20:29 PM
Quote from: Wildweasel74 on May 05, 2022, 08:22:16 PM
Am sure they bring you back Itchy when they are burying you or you gona go the cremated route and give some die hard you grave spot?.

Neither, I am going to go be laid out like a viking on a boat pushed out to sea and a flaming arrow set me and the boat on fire. What a way to go! But there will be no f**king priest anywhere near me lad, I can tell you that for certain.

There'll be no priest anywhere near me too if I have anything to do with it. Will probably donate my body to medical science and be done with it.

FermGael

Used to attend Mass fairly regularly.
Then they changed the words.
Just couldn't get used to the new responses.
Far too confusing so that was the end of that
Wanted.  Forwards to take frees.
Not fussy.  Any sort of ability will be considered

worple

The Church has launched a Synod to determine where it is now and to chart its future.Obviously it has been very bad at explaining the Faith here in Ireland.The comments on this thread show how bad the catechesis has been.The fault must lie with the Church itself,the education system and the weakness inherent in the human condition.It is astonishing to see the degree of ignorance that exists among Catholics and especially the young. To see people dismissing the Mass when they haven't the faintest idea of what it is .All this in a nation which prides itself on its advanced level of education. If people disagree with the Mass they should at least acquaint themselves with what the Mass is.
Padre Pio said that if people understood the significance of the Mass the Churches would have to get bouncers on the door to control the people clamouring to get in!   

ONeill

Quote from: worple on May 08, 2022, 07:14:20 PM
The Church has launched a Synod

That hoor Musk at it again.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.