Mass

Started by Olly, May 04, 2022, 04:50:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Farrandeelin on May 05, 2022, 03:17:41 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on May 05, 2022, 09:12:53 AM
I haven't been regularly since I was mid teens, lapsed catholic and not really bothered with religion to be honest, each to their own and I have no issues with people who feel that religion is their way of getting through life and if it comforts them and helps with what life throws at them then brilliant.

As for the actual Mass service, when I'm at either weddings/funerals or the odd christening the same routine more or less has been the same for decades, unless they can change or modernise it, it will continue to lose it's flock, when I went, the mass was packed from 7am through to the las mass at 1pm on a Sunday, the Sat mass was also packed.

Factor in what's happened these last 40 years and the church in all that time never moved with the times and views of a modern world, it was never ever going to maintain the numbers or attraction.

RIP

What can be done to modernise Mass?

Not just Mass, but the catholic church in general.

These are just 6 issues:
Sexual scandal. I'll give ya that one  ;)
Celibacy. This needs to be looked at
Birth control. seriously?
Homosexuality. Why not?
Female priests. They'd be better and what is it that a man does better in their roles?
Premarital sex. come on?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Itchy

I haven't been regularly since I was mid teens, lapsed catholic and not really bothered with religion to be honest, each to their own and I have no issues with people who feel that religion is their way of getting through life and if it comforts them and helps with what life throws at them then brilliant.

As for the actual Mass service, when I'm at either weddings/funerals or the odd christening the same routine more or less has been the same for decades, unless they can change or modernise it, it will continue to lose it's flock, when I went, the mass was packed from 7am through to the las mass at 1pm on a Sunday, the Sat mass was also packed.

Factor in what's happened these last 40 years and the church in all that time never moved with the times and views of a modern world, it was never ever going to maintain the numbers or attraction.

RIP

I don't tbink people stay away from mass because its not modern. I think its because many have evolved to see religion for the irrelevant bullshit it is. Modernise away, it won't bring me or my likes back.

Olly

RIP

Sexy nuns bring out the sacrements etc for straight people or gay women. Good looking men giving out communion for the wives or gay men.
Access to this webpage has been denied . This website has been categorised as "Sexual Material".

Wildweasel74

Am sure they bring you back Itchy when they are burying you or you gona go the cremated route and give some die hard you grave spot?.

restorepride

Quote from: Itchy on May 05, 2022, 05:48:31 PM

RIP

I don't tbink people stay away from mass because its not modern. I think its because many have evolved to see religion for the irrelevant bullshit it is. Modernise away, it won't bring me or my likes back.
Couldn't agree more. One of the biggest cons in the history of the human race and still the wee ones are indoctrinated daily in our schools. No wonder some grow up with guilt and a lack of self-esteem - "weeping and mourning in this valley if tears".

Eire90

you could says its an extortion racket

Eamonnca1

Always hated it with a passion. As soon as I was old enough to ride a bike on the road I'd tell the old pair I was away to mass on a Sunday morning (they went on Saturday night) and I'd spend the time exploring all the highways and byways of Lurgan and Portadown for an hour before heading home. Got a lot of miles in in those days and became quite fit.

Never let on to myself until I went to England for uni. My dad anxiously grabbed the phone one night eager to speak to me, which wasn't like him at all. He didn't ask how I was doing or how I was settling in or how the course was going. He just asked "are you getting to mass okay over there?"

I thought a question like that deserved a brutal honest answer, so that's when I told him I hadn't been for years and I don't believe in any of it.

My American wife had no religious upbringing so I find myself explaining a lot of it to her. She finds it all very interesting if a bit strange.

Our little ones will never see the inside of a church as long as I have anything to do with it. There is religion here in California if you know where to look for it, but people here don't generally bring the subject up and they treat it as the personal matter it is. It's certainly not the default position like it is in Ireland. Nobody here will even care if you're religious or not, to say nothing of thinking any less of you if you happen to disagree with them on it.

trileacman

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on May 05, 2022, 03:35:34 PM

RIP

These are just 6 issues:
Homosexuality. Why not?
Female priests. They'd be better and what is it that a man does better in their roles?
Premarital sex. come on?

The Anglican church has pretty much accepted all of the above and are in no better shape than the catholic church.
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

Tony Baloney

I ditched Mass when I got out of sight from my Granny! Never believed a word of it but attendance was compulsory! However, it does bring a lot of comfort to the older generation but it is fcuked as an institution in Ireland if they don't find a way of keeping and retaining priests. For me that has to start with letting them marry.

armaghniac

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on May 05, 2022, 09:52:55 PM
Our little ones will never see the inside of a church as long as I have anything to do with it.

Perhaps they'll have the same respect for your views as you had for your parents.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

restorepride

Quote from: armaghniac on May 05, 2022, 10:59:25 PM
Our little ones will never see the inside of a church as long as I have anything to do with it.

Perhaps they'll have the same respect for your views as you had for your parents.
Our parents, grandparents, priests and nuns were all conned and indoctrinated. The Catholic church had us by the balls (literally in terms of reproduction!) from conception to death. Scared the wits out of us from knee height with threats of hell and took superstitious advantage. By the way, if you don't believe but want to be buried in full or in ashes with your own people or clann,  it is not hypocritical to be buried in your  local Catholic graveyard - it is your ancestral and cultural right.

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Quote from: restorepride on May 05, 2022, 11:16:25 PM
Quote from: armaghniac on May 05, 2022, 10:59:25 PM

Our parents, grandparents, priests and nuns were all conned and indoctrinated. The Catholic church had us by the balls (literally in terms of reproduction!) from conception to death. Scared the wits out of us from knee height with threats of hell and took superstitious advantage. By the way, if you don't believe but want to be buried in full or in ashes with your own people or clann,  it is not hypocritical to be buried in your  local Catholic graveyard - it is your ancestral and cultural right.

Just don't expect a priest to oversee it

Wildweasel74

It ain't u right, were you get that from? , to start with, you buy your plot, so you gonna get buried in ground against a religion you don't really believe in. Personally I think it is hypocritical.

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on May 06, 2022, 12:32:57 AM
It ain't u right, were you get that from? , to start with, you buy your plot, so you gonna get buried in ground against a religion you don't really believe in. Personally I think it is hypocritical.

We don't have Catholic cemetery in Derry anyhow , it's council property and non denominational

Armagh18

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on May 05, 2022, 03:35:34 PM

RIP

These are just 6 issues:
Homosexuality. Why not?
Premarital sex. come on?
Agreed. Probably the fact that the top dogs are all pension age doesnt help either. If they dont wise up and modernise the 5 issues you mentioned then they wont have a church by the end of this century .