Time for Joe to go??

Started by cadhlancian, August 03, 2013, 08:44:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stibhan

I should add, I was looking at that wonderful Irish election literature blog and I think there has been something much more insidious going on, which is manipulating someone's association with the... er... association to get electoral gain.

Shane McEntee (RIP) actually printed Meath's NFL and NHL fixtures on election literature:

http://irishelectionliterature.wordpress.com/2010/06/26/shane-mcentee-gaelic-football-man-through-and-through-fine-gael-2005-meath-by-election/

I don't want to be either pedantic or callous but I think that sort of thing should be discouraged in the strongest possible terms.

muppet

Quote from: ONeill on October 18, 2013, 10:06:46 PM
I'm probably on my own here but I'd prefer if clubs were solely sporting organisations with no political or religious overtones in their names. St Patrick's or St Mary's or whatever - why not just Crossmaglen Rangers or The Men of the Hill (from?).

They were probably named by priests anyway.

This is a good idea.

To avoid any insensitivity towards anyone we should use Lat & Long of club grounds.

Now back to the Mayo County Final or 53.8539° N, 9.2844° W versus 53.8457° N, 9.2368° W.

Now where is my old 53.8539° N, 9.2844° W jersey?
MWWSI 2017

ONeill

I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

theticklemister

In Derry there is the Sean Larkin cup named after the said man who was killed by free state forces in Drumboe castle. He was from Ballinderry. This cup is a regional cup for south derry senior teams.

The intermediate cup is named after Sheridan, Bateson and Lee from the Ballymauigan /Newbridege area who when planting a bomb in magherafelt in 1971 prematurley blew.

Incidentally, ye will all have a laugh at this....... the Junior cship cup in Derry is named the Joe Brolly cup. Ye cant make this up. I dunno why it was named this

Wildweasel74

Derry would have been an area where outside of Belfast there was plenty of trouble back in the 80`s and before  its no suprise cups are named after certain people. Is there no clubs, cups etc named around Armagh?

ONeill

Why can't they name the cups after fellas who poured their lives into the GAA and the clubs/county?

theticklemister

Quote from: ONeill on October 18, 2013, 10:34:05 PM
Why can't they name the cups after fellas who poured their lives into the GAA and the clubs/county?

O'Neills Ardboe.

ONeill

muppet

Quote from: ONeill on October 18, 2013, 10:21:53 PM
Mayo?

Thinking more about it, this could explain Tyrone's GPS trackers.
MWWSI 2017

superbad

Joe certainly likes the publicity. All for him this time.

general_lee

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on October 18, 2013, 10:32:13 PM
Derry would have been an area where outside of Belfast there was plenty of trouble back in the 80`s and before  its no suprise cups are named after certain people. Is there no clubs, cups etc named around Armagh?
In Armagh, Dromintee's grounds are named after two Republican volunteers (Campbell/Lochrie). Think there's a Mairead Farrell Cup but it may be Tyrone?

Other than that I don't think there is much else but I wouldn't be too sure. I wonder if someone could compile a list of all the 'contentious' named cups/grounds/clubs. Can't be too many, would be interesting to put a number on it. Off the top of my head I've got:

Antrim:
McDonnell/Doherty Park
Cahill Cup

Armagh:
Campbell/Lochrie Park

Cavan?

Derry:
Kevin Lynch's
Bateson, Sheridan and Lee

Donegal?

Down?

Fermanagh:
Louis Leonard Memorial Park

Monaghan?

Tyrone:
Galbally u12 ...?

Louth?

Rest of Ireland?

theticklemister

That u 12 cup is the Martin McCuaghey.

Sure them oul soccer boys are at it too, if the oul sectarian Oscar Traynor cup.

Feckitt

Quote from: ONeill on October 18, 2013, 10:34:05 PM

Like Kevin Lynch?

ONeill

Is there a cup called that?

rrhf

The O Neill cup is named after a man who took the battle to the English and wooed the Queen of the day and then fled the nest.