Time for Joe to go??

Started by cadhlancian, August 03, 2013, 08:44:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sidney

Quote from: hardstation on August 04, 2013, 11:32:42 PM

You have missed the point. The rules in Gaelic football are that it is not a red. Simple.

His point is that even if it is a red (and Cavanagh had received it), it is still probably the right thing to do.
The point is that the rules are inadequate. But some people defend them and want the status quo to remain. You get the type of game you deserve in that case.

If you think that pulling down somebody like Cavanagh did is the right thing to do, if you think constant third man tackling is right, that's your call. But don't get offended when it's called out as hateful, cynical shlte, because it clearly is.

Sidney

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on August 04, 2013, 11:37:29 PM
Comparing gaelic footballers to the diving, mercenary, cheating unsporting game that is soccer played by a bunch of grown men that need to feel loved to play for their club,Idols like Rooney, Suarez, Tevez, Ronaldo, is this that the way you want gaelic to go. the only man worth his salt in soccer is messi (with a dodgy dad)
Yeah, because diving, cheating, unsporting and mercenary behaviour never happens in GAA. Never. Every person in our great association is a paragon of virtue.

Deary me.

Nally Stand

"The island of saints & scholars...and gombeens & fuckin' arselickers" Christy Moore

Tony Baloney

Quote from: Nally Stand on August 04, 2013, 11:41:50 PM
Quote from: laoislad on August 04, 2013, 11:02:11 PM
16 pages of rubbish.

And you're still reading it...
There are THOUSANDS of pages of drivel on here. Someone has to read it.

Oraisteach

C'mon, laoislad, are you serious?  You complain about "16 [soon to be 17] pages of drivel" but seem to have no compunction about contributing to the 1,475 pages of discussion about Liverpool FC, which you're undoubtedly entitled to.

Surely this is the perfect venue for a discussion about not only the conduct and views of a TV analyst but, more importantly, the very rules of Gaelic football itself and by extension the game's integrity. 

Most of us, I'm sure, have done what Cavanagh did, but that doesn't mean it enhances the game.  The penalty should be a straight red, not a yellow.

As for Brolly, he lost his cool and once more displayed an anti-Tyrone bias, hardly the epitome of professionalism, but at least he had something of consequence to say, which is more than can be said of platitudinous sidekicks.

Let the discussion continue.  I want to hear people's opinions about the direction the game's taking.

Eamonnca1

Cynical foul in the penalty area should be punished with a straight red, otherwise players are going to assume that the rugby tackle is now part of Gaelic football since the penalty is so lenient that it might as well be.

I disagree that over-use of the handpass is a problem. The problem is this half throwing action that they're getting away with. There's nothing wrong with a predominantly handpassing game when good clean crisp handpasses are used.

Leo

Quote from: Oraisteach on August 05, 2013, 12:28:30 AM
C'mon, laoislad, are you serious?  You complain about "16 [soon to be 17] pages of drivel" but seem to have no compunction about contributing to the 1,475 pages of discussion about Liverpool FC, which you're undoubtedly entitled to.

Surely this is the perfect venue for a discussion about not only the conduct and views of a TV analyst but, more importantly, the very rules of Gaelic football itself and by extension the game's integrity. 

Most of us, I'm sure, have done what Cavanagh did, but that doesn't mean it enhances the game.  The penalty should be a straight red, not a yellow.

As for Brolly, he lost his cool and once more displayed an anti-Tyrone bias, hardly the epitome of professionalism, but at least he had something of consequence to say, which is more than can be said of platitudinous sidekicks.

Let the discussion continue.  I want to hear people's opinions about the direction the game's taking.

As an Ulsterman let me be quite clear that I believe the "cynical/tactical/professional" approach to the (ahem!) tackle began with Armagh and was "enhanced" by Tyrone over recent years, blithely ignored by the TV and Radio pundits who have fawned on the new messiahs of Gaelic football who manage these teams. Neer did I think I would come to the defence of Brolly but at last one of these pundits has come off the fence and called it like it is.

Wonderful footballer and athlete as he is, it's is all too sad to see traits in the DNA of the modern footballer in these teams that betray all that is good about his game with such downright dirty play. To get a man of the match award into the bargain tells us all what a cesspit of unsporting "professonalism" has been foisted upon us by the false prophets of "Ulster" football.

Far from being "anti-northern", the RTE media have propogated the myth to the extent that a dire Donegal team, propelled by a 'win at all costs' mantra last year, were lauded as a paragon of that same "professional" extremisism - and as an Ulsterman, but more importanatly as a GAA man, and as a sportsman, thank God they were tanked today, and pray, please pray, that Mayo will do the same to this dire Tyrone outfit                                           
Fierce tame altogether

dublin7

What I find depressing is the abuse directed towards Joe brolly for having an honest opinion. If a young lad on my te am had done what Sean cavanagh did I would have substituted him immediately.

Tyrone are the most cynical team in the country. To think a manager sends out a team with a systematic policy to foul the opposition for victory is an insult to the sport.

Joe Brolly criticism is a case of shooting the messenger. What he said was true but Tyrone fans would rather abuse joe than accept they are a team that the old Italian prine Machiavelli would be proud of.

Its not important how you win, just get the win at all costs.

Tyrone must be the only team in the country who practice fooling in training.

An example to us all!!!!

Eamonnca1

The GAA sells its broadcasting rights in the hope that TV stations are going to do a good job of presenting the sports. For a network to then turn around and bad mouth the product they're offering seems like an attempt to turn off as many repeat viewers as possible. Typical unprofessional RTE drivel. If anybody acted like that on an American network they'd be fired.

BennyHarp

Quote from: dublin7 on August 05, 2013, 03:18:33 AM
What I find depressing is the abuse directed towards Joe brolly for having an honest opinion. If a young lad on my te am had done what Sean cavanagh did I would have substituted him immediately.

Tyrone are the most cynical team in the country. To think a manager sends out a team with a systematic policy to foul the opposition for victory is an insult to the sport.

Joe Brolly criticism is a case of shooting the messenger. What he said was true but Tyrone fans would rather abuse joe than accept they are a team that the old Italian prine Machiavelli would be proud of.

Its not important how you win, just get the win at all costs.

Tyrone must be the only team in the country who practice fooling in training.

An example to us all!!!!

Tyrone are not sent out to systematically foul! Sean as a footballer saw a situation develop where his team's place in a semi final was at stake and he made a split second decision to take the man down. Ultimately it was the correct decision as Tyrone are still standing. I, as a Tyrone man, know its not pretty but I'm glad he did it as I'd much prefer to be looking forward to an AI semi than basking in the glory of fake praise from Joe Brolly or GAAboard posters for our sportsmanship! Anyway, have you ever once heard a pundit say "that was a great piece of sportsmanship there as he let the man waltz past him to score that goal"? It's all nonsense!!
That was never a square ball!!

Aaron Boone

Brolly's tirade reinforces the myth that Tyrone are systemic fouling team. Tyrone have been live on Saturday TV the last 3 weekends winning by 2 points each time, easy and lazy to say they must practice fouling in fouling. Complete myth.

blewuporstuffed

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on August 05, 2013, 12:33:02 AM
Cynical foul in the penalty area should be punished with a straight red, otherwise players are going to assume that the rugby tackle is now part of Gaelic football since the penalty is so lenient that it might as well be.

I disagree that over-use of the handpass is a problem. The problem is this half throwing action that they're getting away with. There's nothing wrong with a predominantly handpassing game when good clean crisp handpasses are used.
The problem I see is that cavanaghs 'tackle' was the extreme end of the spectrum.
it was most certainly cynical, it was an easy call for the ref to make, and if the rules where changed , would certainly deserve a red card.
on the other end , is where players are genuinely trying to tackle and opponent, and get tangle up or whatever or slightly over step the mark and foul them, that can be a very very difficult distinction for a referee to make. 'what was his intent?' 'did he try to bring him down or just a slightly mistimed the challenge?'
The referee on saturday obviously thought he saw a foul on sean cavangh as he went through on goal by darren hughes. if the black card (or even red) was an option what would he have done? would he have had one of monaghans best players sitting in the stand for the rest of the game for a perfectly good challenge.
I suppose my pioint is that the cavanagh example is very clear cut, but is also quite rare, however there are numerous other examples in every game that are very very difficult to call. In my opinion, a player should only be sent off if the referee can be 100% sure.
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

DennistheMenace

1) There is a gret deal of irony in keyboard warrors giving abuse to Joe Brolly's for his personal attack on Cavanagh.

2) The crux of Brolly's argument I agree with, the personal attack not so much but Cavanagh has previous of trying to get players booked and sent off, even the yellow card on Darren Hughes in the first half I thought he bought it.

3) Joe obviously doesn't like Tyrone but is very passionate about this systematic fouling. He was never was PC and in this day in age I find that refreshing, personal insults I don't like.

4) The black card won't stop fouls like this happening

5) There seems to be a blandness of the BBC v the zest nature of RTE team, be great if we could get some analysis in the middle ground.

6) I'm glad this rant has occured, we are all now talking about one of the evils that has crept into our game. For too long we've been far too apathetic towards it.

7) Win at all costs mentality is drilled into players

8) People posting Londonderry and the likes are pathetic. We're all gaels.

EC Unique

What about if it happens outside the penalty area like the Cavanagh one? still a red?

DennistheMenace

Quote from: EC Unique on August 05, 2013, 09:29:16 AM

What about if it happens outside the penalty area like the Cavanagh one? still a red?

Shouldn't matter if the attacker will be 1 on 1 with keeper. Most fowards shoot from outside the penalty area.