Time for Joe to go??

Started by cadhlancian, August 03, 2013, 08:44:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LeoMc

Quote from: T Fearon on November 18, 2013, 11:49:57 AM
honesty from a meglaniac does not mean good sense.Brolly trying to be the GAA equivalent of Dunphy,courting publicity at every available opportunity.

::)

johnneycool

Quote from: Zulu on November 18, 2013, 12:37:23 PM
Quotemeglaniac

What's this?

It's a makey up word, Ala Joey Essex. 

Tony Baloney

honesty from a meglaniac does not mean good sense.Brolly trying to be the GAA equivalent of Dunphy,courting publicity at every available opportunity.
I saw DJ getting his photo taken with you on Saturday. A proud day for him  :)

seafoid

Quote from: Zulu on November 18, 2013, 12:37:23 PM
Quotemeglaniac

What's this?
I think it's the new name for Enron
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

J OGorman

what you'd give for the platform ;-)

J OGorman

Just a steel town girl on a saturday night, lookin' for the fight of her life!
In the real-time world no one sees her at all, they all say she's crazy!

Locking rhythms to the beat of her heart, changing woman into life
She has danced into the danger zone, when the dancer becomes the dance!

It can cut you like a knife, if the gift becomes a fire!
On a wire between will and what will be!

She's a Meglaniac, Meglaniac on the floor!
And she's dancin' like she's never danced before!
She's a Meglaniac, Meglaniac on the floor!

On the ice built iron sanity, it's a place most never seen!
It's a hard warm place of mystery, touch it but can't hold it!
You work for your life for that moment in time, it could come or pass you by!
It's a push of the world, but there's always a chance
If the hunger stays the night!

There's a cold connective heat, struggling, stretching for defeat!
Never stoppin' with her head against the wind!

She's a Meglaniac, Meglaniac I sure know!

Oooh, oh!
(Solo)

It can cut you like a knife, if the gift becomes a fire!
On a wire between will and what will be!

Meglaniac, Meglaniac I sure know!

armaghniac

'niacs are nice people, in general.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Fuzzman

I see he's on RTE 1 tonight

21:35

Joe Brolly - Perfect Match
Documentary following sports pundit Joe Brolly and Belfast-based PR executive Shane Finnegan's campaign to change the organ donation law of consent to a 'soft opt-out' scheme

whitey

after reading that interview I can honestly say that Joe Brolly has some type of borderline personality disorder.  Im not criticizing him, its just an observation.

BennyCake

As likeable a fella as Brolly is, and I admire him for donating a kidney, I think it's totally wrong about this "opt-out" scheme. It should be up to the person themselves whether they want to be on the donor list or not. The publicity of Joe's donation would have seen a big rise on the number of people becoming donors anyway, but there was no need to go as far with this opt-out thing. Advertise the donor register, get people like Brolly to educate people on becoming one, but don't force them to be one.

I registered to become a donor when I just left school, because it was something I wanted to do. I was on the donor list for many years, until a few months ago, when I phoned and asked for my name to be removed. The reason was because I didn't like where they were going with this opt-out thing, and told them so.

Tubberman

Quote from: BennyCake on November 18, 2013, 08:13:19 PM
As likeable a fella as Brolly is, and I admire him for donating a kidney, I think it's totally wrong about this "opt-out" scheme. It should be up to the person themselves whether they want to be on the donor list or not. The publicity of Joe's donation would have seen a big rise on the number of people becoming donors anyway, but there was no need to go as far with this opt-out thing. Advertise the donor register, get people like Brolly to educate people on becoming one, but don't force them to be one.

I registered to become a donor when I just left school, because it was something I wanted to do. I was on the donor list for many years, until a few months ago, when I phoned and asked for my name to be removed. The reason was because I didn't like where they were going with this opt-out thing, and told them so.

I don't see the logic in removing yourself from the donor list because of a campaign to make it the default position.
I think most people wouldn't have a problem donating their organs to save others should the worse happen.
But many people don't bother getting a card or letting others know how they feel about it.
This way, if you dont want to be a donor, you're free to opt out. More people's lives will be improved or saved because of it.
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

Jinxy

Which does it take more time to do.
Opt out, or opt in?
They can take what they want when I'm done using it.
I'd wager a majority of people would be in favour of donating their organs but they never go to the trouble of registering.
I know I didn't until I saw Brolly on the Late Late.
The idea that this is some sort of authoritarian tissue harvesting scheme is ridiculous.
We've a respectable rate at the moment but we're 10 donors per million behind Spain who have the system Brolly proposes.
I'll know sweet FA about it when it happens but I'd like to think it would be a great comfort to my family that although I was gone, I lived ion by enriching the lives of some very ill people.
As Brolly said it's a gift that has to be freely given.
If you don't like the idea, take two minutes to opt out and let your family know your wishes.
Is that a lot to ask?
Apathy is the biggest barrier to increasing the donation rate.
Most people don't die in circumstances that are conducive to donation so we need to make sure we get as many as possible on the register.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Lecale2

If they take my kidneys, heart, lungs, liver (good luck to them), cornea or pancreas I won't be here to be annoyed about it. Get on with it, what's the problem?

5 Sams

Quote from: Lecale2 on November 18, 2013, 08:54:02 PM
If they take my kidneys, heart, lungs, liver (good luck to them), cornea or pancreas I won't be here to be annoyed about it. Get on with it, what's the problem?
Sums it up perfectly?
The Aristocrat Years

armaghniac

Programme on now, still time to catch on on RTÉ+1, although there isn't anything notable so far.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B