Club season begun?

Started by country_lad, January 18, 2014, 11:38:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

country_lad

Just wondering what stage other clubs are in the their preparation for the year? My club are in Cavan and we were back collective training last night for the season. League due to start on 16th February with 18 league games. Busy schedule with league meant to be complete before Champ (never happens with last years league final been played in Decemeber).

Do other counties have this many league games and as long a season?

rodney trotter

Pisses a lot of players and Clubs off the way the County board run the fixtures in Cavan.

tommysmith

Quote from: rodney trotter on January 19, 2014, 10:40:36 AM
Pisses a lot of players and Clubs off the way the County board run the fixtures in Cavan.

This coming year will be worse the County board voted against what the majority of clubs wanted at meeting last monday night. We now have a league with possibly 13 games that mean nothing.  Alot of clubs walked out
in disgust.

rodney trotter

Quote from: tommysmith on January 19, 2014, 11:01:11 AM
Quote from: rodney trotter on January 19, 2014, 10:40:36 AM

This coming year will be worse the County board voted against what the majority of clubs wanted at meeting last monday night. We now have a league with possibly 13 games that mean nothing.  Alot of clubs walked out
in disgust.

Yeah heard about it, couldn't believe they would up with an idea like that.

orangeman

Why can't every county in Ireland have the same start date, end date to their season so that families can plan ahead and have some time for their family instead of being at the weekly whim of CCCs ?

I know counties have different league and championship set ups but they can't be that much different surely ?

brianboru00

Quote from: country_lad on January 18, 2014, 11:38:24 PM
Just wondering what stage other clubs are in the their preparation for the year? My club are in Cavan and we were back collective training last night for the season. League due to start on 16th February with 18 league games. Busy schedule with league meant to be complete before Champ (never happens with last years league final been played in Decemeber).

Most would average 11-12 games in league. 18 games is brilliant . One of the biggest problems I have is with the lack of games. Every player should be given at least 25 games per season. An 18 game league means a game every weekend til the middle of June? - Fantastic.

blewuporstuffed

Quote from: brianboru00 on January 20, 2014, 02:08:17 PM

Most would average 11-12 games in league. 18 games is brilliant . One of the biggest problems I have is with the lack of games. Every player should be given at least 25 games per season. An 18 game league means a game every weekend til the middle of June? - Fantastic.

it means nothing of the sort, in tyrone anyway.
At the minute we have 15 game league season with promotion/relegation play offs at the end.
and then the championship.

The amount of games is fine,but there are huge gaps between them due to intercounty games, with very very few getting played in july or august (usually about 3)
we end up playing well into november/december with the championship & important relegation/promotion games rushed and shoe horned in together in the same of the last couple of months

25 club games would be absolutely impossible (and completely unnecessary), at the minute most clubs play maybe 16-17 and its a struggle to get those all fitted in.
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

brianboru00

Quote from: blewuporstuffed on January 20, 2014, 02:34:35 PM

At the minute we have 15 game league season with promotion/relegation play offs at the end.

The amount of games is fine,but there are huge gaps between them due to intercounty games, with very very few getting played in july or august (usually about 3)
we end up playing well into november/december with the championship & important relegation/promotion games rushed and shoe horned in together in the same of the last couple of months

25 club games would be absolutely impossible (and completely unnecessary), at the minute most clubs play maybe 16-17 and its a struggle to get those all fitted in.

Why is it completely unnecessary? - sure then the whole league is unnecessary.
25 clubs is of course possible but its down to the clubs not asking for postponements every few games.

playing 18 games over 18 weeks brings you up to the end of June.  County players could be made available for example for 12 of the 18 games at least. Just because its s problematic in Tyrone or most other counties for that matter doesn't mean its a bad idea.

rodney trotter

They start too late in Tyrone anyway. First weekend in April or something like that? Problem with 18 games its never finished in time and always drags into December. There is back door in championship in cavan use to be groups and that dragging it out more

blewuporstuffed

Quote from: brianboru00 on January 20, 2014, 03:06:01 PM
Quote from: blewuporstuffed on January 20, 2014, 02:34:35 PM

Why is it completely unnecessary? - sure then the whole league is unnecessary.
25 clubs is of course possible but its down to the clubs not asking for postponements every few games.

playing 18 games over 18 weeks brings you up to the end of June.  County players could be made available for example for 12 of the 18 games at least. Just because its s problematic in Tyrone or most other counties for that matter doesn't mean its a bad idea.

it should be about quality not quantity.
As a player i would rather have 15-18 really meaningful games rather than 25 games with about 10 of them that aren't that competitive or end up being meaningless.
Just my opinion
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either