The Open Championship - Carnoustie

Started by anportmorforjfc, July 15, 2007, 07:58:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

anportmorforjfc

there is a preview for the open tonight at 11.20 on bbc two

inisceithleann

Quote from: magickingdom on July 17, 2007, 05:56:16 PM
Quote from: anportmorforjfc on July 17, 2007, 05:08:02 PM
did anyone hear the weather for the first 2 days?  will it help the earlier starters or late

forcast for the end of the week is 'mixed' whatever that means...

Mixed weather for carnoustie will probably mean torrential rain and wind followed by an hour on glorious sunshine :)

I hope the weather isn't awful though. The americans never gave Paul Lawrie the credit he deserved for winning it in 1999, and said the weather prevented a better player from winning it. I remember that Open very well, especially Jean Van de Velde losing the plot on the final few holes. When he took the shoes and socks off to play that infamous shot, I couldn't watch. Talk about choking on your big chance of success.

Life is a ticket to the greatest show on earth

anportmorforjfc

anportmorforjfc

Gary Player has claimed some golfers are taking performance-enhancing drugs to boost their game and wants random testing brought in as soon as possible.
"I know for a fact that some golfers are doing it," said the South African, who won nine majors in his career.

"I would say there are 10 guys taking something. I might be way out. It's definitely not going to be lower, it might be a hell of a lot more."

Player, 71, says two players have told him personally they are taking drugs.

He refused to reveal who they were but said he could see a big physical change in one of those he had spoken to.

Spiritof98

KJ Choi off to a flyer -4 after 6 holes, Darren Clarke +3.
I'll go back if Marsdens back

anportmorforjfc

latest scores

1 Choi Kor  -3   10
1 Campbell NZ  -3    9
3 Pampling Aus  -2    11
3 Goosen SA  -2    9
3 DiMarco US  -2    9
3 McGinley Ire  -2    2
7 Bourdy Fra  -1    14
7 Jacquelin Fra  -1   10
7 Leonard US  -1   9
7 Immelman SA  -1   6
7 Tanihara Jpn  -1   5
7 Woods US  -1    5
7 Verplank US  -1    4
7 Kondo Jpn  -1    3
7 Brier Aut  -1    1
16 Stricker US  level    11
16 Rollins US  level     10
16 Björn Den  level    9
16 Casey Eng  level    7
16 Weaver US  level   11

Gnevin

Quote from: magickingdom on July 17, 2007, 05:56:16 PM
Quote from: anportmorforjfc on July 17, 2007, 05:08:02 PM
did anyone hear the weather for the first 2 days?  will it help the earlier starters or late

forcast for the end of the week is 'mixed' whatever that means...
It means straight rain mixed with a sort of slantly rain mixed when a cold rain
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

goldenyears

did anyone see that shite clip in the bbc preview last night; where they did 90 secs on green impact on golf etc!

fkn awful piece of fill in tv

ps. backed cabrera e way at 60s, also did havret e/way at 125s

Hardy

I heard Jack Nicklaus on the radio last night saying his game wasn't very good these days. "For years", he said, "people were telling me how much they wished they could play like me. Well now they can".

Declan

McGinley 5 under after 13. Good man Paul. Whats odds on another win for the cheeky dubs on Sunday!!!!!

Spiritof98

I'll go back if Marsdens back

dec

Unfortunately McGinley has given 2 shots back, now at -4 after 16

corn02

-4 is still a great return, the last few holes are notoriously dodgy, the real story of the day is Northern Irish amatuer Rory McIlroy. The 18 year old finished the day at -3. A great round and in his interview he seems the model of modesty. Have kept an ear out for him and in every interview he does he talks Clarke up no end. Keep it up.

Goin Down

Remember This.

ONeill

Course offering plenty of birdies this morning. Sergio out early too.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.