Cost Of Living

Started by Olly, July 03, 2022, 05:55:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on July 29, 2022, 09:41:13 AM
Quote from: imtommygunn on July 29, 2022, 09:26:51 AM
There will be a trade off point because it could reach a point that so few will be able to afford they can't get their profits. Note in that article about the number of customers yet to pay.

I still believe there is going to be significant unrest coming over this winter. A lot of people can't afford to live if they have to heat the house. What if we get a harsh winter?

Yeah, its not looking great, up to this point Ive never really worried about heating the house of upping the thermostat if required...

Now I'm looking at fixing some of the double glazing windows which are not closing properly, getting the boiler changed, turning the thermostat down, getting thicker quilts and using the fire more often

Have been looking at my shopping bills and trying to reduce them, and will sit down and look at my payments going out for certain things... Netflix and those things...

We are pretty lucky with decent jobs so I can't think what its like with someone on minimum wage

Its pretty grim id say

imtommygunn

Yeah I really feel for some people and tbh have definitely upped giving to food banks etc. To think that people are in jobs and have to go to food banks is ludicrous.

CiKe

In relation to talk of heating crises in winter, are we going over the top? Be rare enough in Ireland to go much below 0º.

Now I am not trying to downplay things, it sure as hell aint ideal and won't be comfortable and might be downright uncomfortable for some, particularly OAPs. But I'd say 99% of homes were colder when we were kids and you'd have thrown on thick blankets or another jumper etc to stay warm and you' be more or less grand. What we have come through the last few years, in some ways I'd be a bit surprised if the majority weren't sort of able to take it reasonably in our stride.

tiempo

Wouldn't want to walk a mile in the shoes of a person or family that couldn't afford to put the heating on in the middle of winter, we've adapted to some serious home comforts, the psychological impact of poverty must be so damaging, these macro-economic decisions are taken for a reason, models for optimised profiteering have been devised and are in play at all times

Milltown Row2

Quote from: CiKe on July 29, 2022, 10:08:09 AM
In relation to talk of heating crises in winter, are we going over the top? Be rare enough in Ireland to go much below 0º.

Now I am not trying to downplay things, it sure as hell aint ideal and won't be comfortable and might be downright uncomfortable for some, particularly OAPs. But I'd say 99% of homes were colder when we were kids and you'd have thrown on thick blankets or another jumper etc to stay warm and you' be more or less grand. What we have come through the last few years, in some ways I'd be a bit surprised if the majority weren't sort of able to take it reasonably in our stride.

I'd say that is true, I grew up in a house that didnt have central heating and when we did get it my mum and dad had more kids so we were put up into a converted attic, now when I say converted I just mean the sides closed off lino put down papered and three beds shoved into whatever space was left, no quilts in those days just your American native bed blankets, winter was freezing so sleeping undercovers was essential or wearing a hat lol!!

Ah the craic was mighty lol
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

CiKe

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on July 29, 2022, 10:56:07 AM
Quote from: CiKe on July 29, 2022, 10:08:09 AM

I'd say that is true, I grew up in a house that didnt have central heating and when we did get it my mum and dad had more kids so we were put up into a converted attic, now when I say converted I just mean the sides closed off lino put down papered and three beds shoved into whatever space was left, no quilts in those days just your American native bed blankets, winter was freezing so sleeping undercovers was essential or wearing a hat lol!!

Ah the craic was mighty lol

I still remember the itchy bloody blankets from the grandparents place where we were three to a bed. Don't see them much anymore, kept you warm though. Hot water bottles also par for the course.

marty34

Maybe people not as hardy these days.

Long ago, you saw the houses your grandparents lived in and nowhere near the same heating systems or luxuries etc. but they just got on with it.  I suppose they knew no better.  Hardy lads and lassies.

tiempo

Quote from: marty34 on July 29, 2022, 11:19:21 AM

Long ago, you saw the houses your grandparents lived in and nowhere near the same heating systems or luxuries etc. but they just got on with it.  I suppose they knew no better.  Hardy lads and lassies.

And then take a jaunt back to their forefathers and so on, doesn't bare thinking about.

In a historical context anyone living within reasonable means by todays standards is in the top 0.0000000000001% (and then some) to have ever lived, one to bear in mind the odd time

Any sort of dystopian unravelling and 99% of us wouldn't last the week, and I include put myself at the front of that queue

Franko

Quote from: tiempo on July 29, 2022, 11:27:06 AM
Quote from: marty34 on July 29, 2022, 11:19:21 AM

And then take a jaunt back to their forefathers and so on, doesn't bare thinking about.

In a historical context anyone living within reasonable means by todays standards is in the top 0.0000000000001% (and then some) to have ever lived, one to bear in mind the odd time

Any sort of dystopian unravelling and 99% of us wouldn't last the week, and I include put myself at the front of that queue

Agree with these observations... but the logical conclusion of this sort of argument is that unless we are living in caves and shooting wild animals with bows and arrows, we shouldn't complain...

Our ancestors were fit to do it, so why can't we just get on with it?

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

In my father's time in the Bogside it was everyone in the same bed with coats thrown on top of blankets . Ice on inside of windows, 2-3 families in some houses. But I'm pretty sure was like this in loads of places .

Now it's our own ripping off the young ones in Belfast around holylands etc. Crooked landlords

marty34

Lads, it's all about me these days.

The big jeeps with the personalised plates and the big gated houses in the country!

Two or three holidays a year etc.

How times have changed.   Have people changed?

Taylor

Quote from: marty34 on July 29, 2022, 12:59:01 PM

The big jeeps with the personalised plates and the big gated houses in the country!

Unfortunately I am not part of that crew however what is wrong with it?

If people have made good for themselves and are able to afford all of the above then I dont see the issue.

Is it typical Irish begrudgery

seafoid

Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on July 29, 2022, 09:45:56 AM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on July 29, 2022, 09:41:13 AM
Quote from: imtommygunn on July 29, 2022, 09:26:51 AM
There will be a trade off point because it could reach a point that so few will be able to afford they can't get their profits. Note in that article about the number of customers yet to pay.

I still believe there is going to be significant unrest coming over this winter. A lot of people can't afford to live if they have to heat the house. What if we get a harsh winter?

Yeah, its not looking great, up to this point Ive never really worried about heating the house of upping the thermostat if required...

Now I'm looking at fixing some of the double glazing windows which are not closing properly, getting the boiler changed, turning the thermostat down, getting thicker quilts and using the fire more often

Have been looking at my shopping bills and trying to reduce them, and will sit down and look at my payments going out for certain things... Netflix and those things...

We are pretty lucky with decent jobs so I can't think what its like with someone on minimum wage

Its pretty grim id say
18% of people in the North are at that level.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Kidder81

Some people don't want to go without though, they want the nights out, clothes, boozes etc. hard choices for all families now but unfortunately some people see energy costs down the priority list and want it all handed to them

marty34

Quote from: Taylor on July 29, 2022, 01:13:08 PM
Quote from: marty34 on July 29, 2022, 12:59:01 PM

Unfortunately I am not part of that crew however what is wrong with it?

If people have made good for themselves and are able to afford all of the above then I dont see the issue.

Is it typical Irish begrudgery

Not really.

Just my opinion that there's less sense of community these days - mostly about me.