County Convention

Started by Don Draper, November 27, 2017, 01:14:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

clonadmad

Quote from: portlaoisekid on November 28, 2017, 12:50:21 PM
Quote from: clonadmad on November 28, 2017, 12:02:28 PM
Quote from: Don Draper on November 28, 2017, 11:54:05 AM
Quote from: redsetanta on November 28, 2017, 09:20:41 AM
Don, how and why would it get worse? I only ask because I know very little of the inner workings of Laois GAA politics!
We have a man who lost a vote for Vice Chairman a few months ago, about to walk into the Chairmans position, uncontested. We have a situation whereby two men allowed their names go forward, only to bollox it up between themselves to allow a non race for the top job, most important job, in Laois GAA.

If you believe this is good for Laois GAA, then pray tell, and you too "clonadmad", what Mr O Neill is going to bring to Laois GAA? Lets not forget, he's backed by a Club who brought Laois GAA to the DRA (aka Supreme Court in our Association terms) a number of months ago.

Id say the odds of Portlaoise getting a stand and floodlights funded has been greatly increased,for starters.

He's there,because no one else go off their arses and stepped forward,that's why.
Clown

aaaw diddums,did that sting

had to go to HQ to be bailed out after your smart men bogged the club in debt to tune of millions and yet were able to spend thousands pursuing a 16 year old from a junior neighboring club to the DRA.

hopefully ye will spend the windfall that O'Neill delivers that bit better.

portlaoisekid

Quote from: clonadmad on November 28, 2017, 01:01:50 PM
Don, how and why would it get worse? I only ask because I know very little of the inner workings of Laois GAA politics!
We have a man who lost a vote for Vice Chairman a few months ago, about to walk into the Chairmans position, uncontested. We have a situation whereby two men allowed their names go forward, only to bollox it up between themselves to allow a non race for the top job, most important job, in Laois GAA.

If you believe this is good for Laois GAA, then pray tell, and you too "clonadmad", what Mr O Neill is going to bring to Laois GAA? Lets not forget, he's backed by a Club who brought Laois GAA to the DRA (aka Supreme Court in our Association terms) a number of months ago.

Id say the odds of Portlaoise getting a stand and floodlights funded has been greatly increased,for starters.

He's there,because no one else go off their arses and stepped forward,that's why.
Clown

had to go to HQ to be bailed out after your smart men bogged the club in debt to tune of millions and yet were able to spend thousands pursuing a 16 year old from a junior neighboring club to the DRA.

The bigger the stand the better ;D

Don Draper

The transfer loophole in Laois GAA has yet to be closed. I imagine it will be top of PON's agenda.

Once they get a few more in first.

clonadmad

Quote from: portlaoisekid on November 28, 2017, 01:09:11 PM

Clown

Aye,more room for visitors as your own support is so miniscule

portlaoisekid

Quote from: clonadmad on November 28, 2017, 01:19:12 PM

Clown

Aye,more room for visitors as your own support is so minscule
........like a dagger through the heart 

clonadmad

Quote from: portlaoisekid on November 28, 2017, 01:23:12 PM
Quote from: clonadmad on November 28, 2017, 01:19:12 PM

Clown

Aye,more room for visitors as your own support is so minscule
........like a dagger through the heart

Aye

whats known as a "Jody Dillon"

Unlaoised

An Offaly man to take our County into the next phase .....Lovely ;-(
LAOIS ABÚ

Don Draper

Quote from: Unlaoised on November 28, 2017, 03:38:09 PM
An Offaly man to take our County into the next phase .....Lovely ;-(
Its quite apt really. No one knows as much about sinking as a man from the bog.

Keyser Söze

Lads a bit personal and a bit OTT here on Peter O' Neill. The man works hard for Laois GAA, doesn't seem to be afraid of the less glamorous jobs and I don't see how he is any less qualified than any of the past 5/6 people to hold the role.

You can hardly throw accusations in advance regarding favouring Portlaoise, especially in light of the relegation issue with Stradbally a few years ago.

Also, I predicted here a long time ago that O' Neill would win it. I still think he would. The circumstances surrounding the withdrawal of Allen and Mortimer are absolutely bizarre. Is Mortimer suggesting that Allen pulled a fast one, in cahoots with O' Neill?
The only thing I will say is that people don't tend to withdraw unless they are fairly reconciled to losing out. Whatever about Allen (whose reason for running initially I still cannot understand), it would appear to me that Mortimer didn't feel he could win.
Unless of course Allen's sole purpose was to split the hurling vote?
All very bizarre!
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled.......

merman

I believe Allen had a health scare.

Don Draper

Quote from: Keyser Söze on November 28, 2017, 06:34:05 PM
Lads a bit personal and a bit OTT here on Peter O' Neill. The man works hard for Laois GAA, doesn't seem to be afraid of the less glamorous jobs and I don't see how he is any less qualified than any of the past 5/6 people to hold the role.

Personal? And you compare him to Dick Miller, who dragged this county from self destruction! Now that's a personal insult right there.

SCFC

Last decent chairman we had was Dick Miller. Got things done. Mightnt have been as polished as some would have liked but things were going well under him.

BallyroanAbu

Dick Miller had his issues also, no one is perfect.  I have no idea how PON will go as county chairman but I am sure he will do his best.  It is worrying that there is not a contest, really is a sign of how low morale is out there.  In fairness to Gerry Kavanag & the rest of the board while things are not great on the pitch they have done quite well off it.  The training centre is coming along nicely in a great location before anyone gets on their high horse, also O Moore Park renovation nor were Laois Gaa looking for bailouts like many county boards.  At the end of the day these people are volunteers doing a job that many won't and while I would not be happy with a lot in Laois Football at least they got off their arses and did something.

portlaoisekid

Quote from: BallyroanAbu on November 29, 2017, 09:14:33 AM
Dick Miller had his issues also, no one is perfect.  I have no idea how PON will go as county chairman but I am sure he will do his best.  It is worrying that there is not a contest, really is a sign of how low morale is out there.  In fairness to Gerry Kavanag & the rest of the board while things are not great on the pitch they have done quite well off it.  The training centre is coming along nicely in a great location before anyone gets on their high horse, also O Moore Park renovation nor were Laois Gaa looking for bailouts like many county boards.  At the end of the day these people are volunteers doing a job that many won't and while I would not be happy with a lot in Laois Football at least they got off their arses and did something.
Good post.

Don Draper

Quote from: BallyroanAbu on November 29, 2017, 09:14:33 AM
They're volunteers and deserve credit for putting themselves forward, but its the musical chairs aspect that turns the stomach as much as it does.

They fucked up the SFC restructure. They ran Cheddar. They made a balls of, and continue to make a balls of the transfer situation in Laois. They were practically handed Fr Browne Avenue. The Setanta program stalled, only be to resurrected again recently. Our underage squads in the football went to shit. Dont be too confident about bailouts, we're not there yet. We shouldn't believe that just because they didn't take the roles, they'd be left unfilled. Does their presence, and ringfencing of roles, dissuade others from getting involved?