Mayo v Monaghan/Tyrone/Down or Kildare Qualifer Round 3 Thread

Started by Barney, July 15, 2008, 08:06:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lar Naparka

Quote from: his holiness nb on July 15, 2008, 05:19:18 PM
Quote from: Lar Naparka on July 15, 2008, 04:42:59 PM
That was part , but only part, of what he said alright.
But his remarks were passed in the aftermath of the game and were not premeditaed or calculated in any way. 

Thats true, and to be honest, I didnt put much pass on it, but remember a few others being none too impressed.
Sorry, nb, I appear to have given you a wrong impression.
I was attempting to look at things from Conor Mortimer's perspective as he gave THAT post-match interview.
Further, I'd imagine that any other Mayo player would have felt more or less the same as Mortimer as he came off the field.
As far as I can recall the claim about the taunting came from David Brady in a Sunday Indo interview when he attempted to give reasons for Mayo new-found resolve when they began the fightback.
Certainly, the entire Mayo camp would have regarded the tackle on McGarrity as going well beyond what would be regarded as a clumsy tackle. Terms like highly irresponsible, dangerous or totally cynical would be nearer the mark. Seems Whelan was giving McGarrity a strong dose of the verbals before the tackle occurred.
On that basis, I'd say the tackle was a big factor in Mortimer's reaction when he gave that interview.
Brady says he himself certainly made use of it when he gave his rallying speech in the dressing room at half time. Without doubt, the Mayo team was incensed by it and, to Mortimer, describing it as clumsy would stop well short of his take on the matter.
To me, genuine Dub fans are the best you will find anywhere. I know as I live in a strong Dub community, within a shout of Parnell Park. But there is that element that materialises when Dublin get to Croke Park every year and whose knowledge of football would equal my knowledge of rocket science.
Others may waffle about them bringing colour and excitement to the game and they certainly help to swell the coffers of the Association but I'd feel they are far more of a hindrance that a help to the team on the pitch.
Their chants and taunts would undoubtedly have helped to put Mortimer into two finger mode for that interview.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

Davitt Man

I think its quiet refreshing when players give interviews like The Mort did after the dublin game, he says what he feels at the time. It makes for a change from the normal cliched rubbish. Remember 2 yrs ago after the connacht final he said its great to get the chance to beat galway on your own, speaking about his winning free.

kevmy

Quote from: Bod Mor on July 16, 2008, 12:50:17 AM
Someone on another thread said we can't draw Kerry in the qualifiers. is this true? I thought it was an open draw?

I expect the following four to join the four beaten provincial finalists for round 3 of the qualifiers:

Derry, Tyrone, Donegal, Meath.

Well done Barney on injecting a bit of optimism, we need to look ahead to the next match and stand as a unit. Forget about the McD sh!t, O'Mahony is the manager. He will pick the team the next day, he has won 2 All Ireland's previously and there isn't a manager in Mayo that can say that.

All this nonsense about saying we don't have a good enough squad to win the All-Ireland. Bullsh!t, if we get into the 1/4 finals anyone can win it. We still have a number of players who reached the final twice recently. It's all about playing as a team.
Quote from: Barney on July 16, 2008, 08:10:29 AM
QuoteWell done Barney on injecting a bit of optimism, we need to look ahead to the next match and stand as a unit.

Positivity might be pushing Bod.

I think our past losses have put is in a position where every championship defeat is dealt with on a catastrophic level. Patience is needed. We all have our opinions as to what would be a better team. I think move forward. Enjoy the Summer and see what we can do. Mayo supporters need to stand behind the team. If we don't why do we expect the players to grasp the chance that is there. Remember after next weekend all bar 4 teams will have lost a championship match. we are in the last 12 and can go a little bit further yet,

Thats the spirit guys.

Get behind the team and move forward. I'm sure after next weekend I'll be looking forward to the next game big time. There isn't anyone we can draw the next day that we can't beat. We should improve after a hard Championship game and we will have a nice rest period compared to the 3 games in 3 weeks the other teams will have.

moysider

3 days later and I m beginning to come out of as bad a downer as I ve felt after any loss in the past. The club championship at the week end will be a nice distraction at least.

We have to keep our fingers crossed that the county lads come through this critical round. Many of the team are in do or die matches.

Injuries to likes of Clarke, Harte, McGar, Higgins s, Parsons  or Dillon would sap any optimism that may remain for this Summer.

A game or part of a game under Howley s belt would be a welcome boost this weekend. So would some good news about Trevor but there s been nothing yet to my knowledge.

We dont know yet who ll be fit to play in the qualifier or who the opposition will be. I ll reserve speculating on how we ll do until I see an opposition, venue, and critically team selection. I would be afraid management will studbornly dig their heels in and go with the same team again as some managers do when their selections are criticised or shown up. For example Austins performance may be explained away by Hanley s excellence and Austin wheeled out to bat again. Conroy and Boyle might be chosen again with the justification that they ll be playing against a different type of player or system. I ll reserve any optimism I ve left until I see what way management are thinking. To be honest I m more concerned about us getting our own house in order rather than who we meet. We know whoever we play will be a tough side like a Tyrone, Meath ,Donegal or Derry. We re not likely to be outclassed though and could win if we get things right next few weeks.

Barney

Down to eight possible teams now that we can meet next time out:

Tyrone, Down, Monaghan, Kildare, Westmeath, Laois, Limerick or Donegal.

Other than Tyrone I wouldn't fear any of them, mind you none of them will fear us. You would have to say only Tyrone there have the capabilities of winning Sam, but its still hard to see.

There could be fixture trouble ahead though - great win for the hurlers today and now they are in the Christy Ring semis. If we get to the final is will be on the same weekend - and a decision to be made for Keith Higgins

mannix

Limerick, a definite danger. They should have beaten cork very easily, i watched them hockey tyrone every except on the score board, they kicked 19 wides in that league game and totally owned the ball.

Lar Naparka

Quote from: Barney on July 19, 2008, 09:38:56 PM

Maybe it says something about the state of football in general but looking at the above list, I'd prefer getting a Leinster side.
I'd put Limerick next in pecking order and finally I'd fear any of the Ulster sides.
On first half form today, I'd say Monaghan would destroy us. We have some reason for hope as the team that finished last Sunday was in better shape that it began with.
But there will be a further cull next week, won't there?
The list of possible opponents will then be down to four and whatever four survives, we can expect a tough battle.
If both Trevors are fit to play and Heaney is made to stay in his position, we should be in with a fighting chance. Furthermore, as things stand, whoever faces us will be playing their third game in as many weeks, while we will have had a four week lay off.

Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

moysider

Whatever about Monaghan being tough I m glad Derry are gone. Still trying to figure how they lost with their dominance in the second half. They were v poor in first half. Thought Monaghan midfield were killed in the second half. A lot depends too whether you get a home draw or not.

stephenite

Just posted this on the local board, apparently Ronan McGarrity tore his hamstring playing for the Stephenites.

ildanach

Quote from: stephenite on July 20, 2008, 05:19:58 AM
Just posted this on the local board, apparently Ronan McGarrity tore his hamstring playing for the Stephenites.
any word on how badly it is tore?
Statistics are like a bikini. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.

stephenite

Quote from: ildanach on July 20, 2008, 01:14:37 PM
Quote from: stephenite on July 20, 2008, 05:19:58 AM
any word on how badly it is tore?

Was chatting to one of the players this morning (also a physio) and he said he's unlikely to play any further part for Mayo unless we get to the semi's. He also said it was too early to say definitively, he was also quite drunk.

IolarCoisCuain

This is grave news about McGarrity.

Pat Harte is the obvious partner for Parsons in McGarrity's absence, but then, as I think it was Barney was saying on the other thread, that's robbing Peter to pay Paul. Harte's presence at 11 not only filled that position but it liberated Alan Dillon to come back to himself.

Don't forget that Johnno doesn't always give youth its head - while O'Shea might be the daring option, the percentages would suggest that Harte will go to midfield, Dillon returns to eleven and James Gill is comes in at wing forward. Management could also make a phone call, but that seems unlikely now.

I'll tell you boys, I think it's time to come to terms with the fact that the summer is going to be over soon. I don't know what the draw for the qualifiers round 2 will be like, but out of the eight left I'd only particularly fancy Mayo against three of them, and none of them would be dead certs. It's all very depressing.

Farrandeelin

I'd only be fairly confident myself if we faced Laois, Kildare and maybe Donegal. Very hard to know what changes there will be to the different positions. I'm not going to speculate about what might be made, but Howley had a good game today according to M Gallagher so at least he will be back in contention for more changes in the defence.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

ludermor

Farrandeelin

Apparently you need tickets for the next match in the qualifiers. Well, we (Knockmore men) have to order tickets from the club for the next game. Where will it be played and surely there won't be need for tickets if it's not in Croke Park?
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.