Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TakeTheMark

Quote from: Johnnysboys on June 14, 2022, 11:22:12 PM
Quote from: rosskarr on June 13, 2022, 11:20:12 PM
Quote from: Johnnysboys on June 13, 2022, 09:40:14 PM
Where is Barry of to?
When do players from US return, early September?

Barry heading to Chicago by all accounts. 8 week block so will probably miss first round of championship - not that it really matters anyhow as it's not real championship..
Not a real Championship? Please explain..

Second chance given to all teams.. that's not a real championship. Do what they do in other counties - straight knockout.. that's a championship..

Most other counties operate group stage championships. Off the top of my head, I can only think of Tyrone who do straight knockout. Who else does?

rosskarr

Quote from: Johnnysboys on June 14, 2022, 11:22:12 PM
Quote from: rosskarr on June 13, 2022, 11:20:12 PM
Quote from: Johnnysboys on June 13, 2022, 09:40:14 PM

Where is Barry of to?
When do players from US return, early September?

Barry heading to Chicago by all accounts. 8 week block so will probably miss first round of championship - not that it really matters anyhow as it's not real championship..
Not a real Championship? Please explain..
[/quote]

Second chance given to all teams.. that's not a real championship. Do what they do in other counties - straight knockout.. that's a championship..
[/quote]
    Phew!!!

Hard2Listen2

Second chance given to all teams.. that's not a real championship. Do what they do in other counties - straight knockout.. that's a championship

Spoken like a man who has never worked for 6 months only to lose in the first round & realise your season is over & you'll have to start over again in January.
Lads put too much in now for only one chance in championship.

Truth hurts

Quote from: Hard2Listen2 on June 15, 2022, 09:04:00 AM
Second chance given to all teams.. that's not a real championship. Do what they do in other counties - straight knockout.. that's a championship

Spoken like a man who has never worked for 6 months only to lose in the first round & realise your season is over & you'll have to start over again in January.

The championship format is ok

SamFever

Quote from: Truth hurts on June 15, 2022, 09:13:24 AM

The championship format is ok
Our Leagues(excluding Covid interruption) and Championships are well thought out and work very well.Some people just have just too much time on their hands ( or fingers in Johnnyboys's case) to be complaining.Idiot.

Lloyd p

I would agree that the league and championship format in Down is good. However I would say that if the championship went back to a straight knockout format it could potentially open it up a bit more and give other clubs a better chance of winning it. Anyone is beatable in a one off game especially in the earlier stages. I realise that the revenue the multiple games bring in and giving lads extra games will make this unlikely to happen anytime soon. Would anyone agree?

bigarsedkeeper

Quote from: Lloyd p on June 15, 2022, 02:13:18 PM
I would agree that the league and championship format in Down is good. However I would say that if the championship went back to a straight knockout format it could potentially open it up a bit more and give other clubs a better chance of winning it. Anyone is beatable in a one off game especially in the earlier stages. I realise that the revenue the multiple games bring in and giving lads extra games will make this unlikely to happen anytime soon. Would anyone agree?

I agree with the multiple games for players but I think the gates have went down over the years apart from Kilcoo ones. Maybe it's because there were games spread out over other grounds back then and they looked fuller but there seemed to be more people there.

Godsown

Quote from: bigarsedkeeper on June 15, 2022, 02:40:40 PM

I agree with the multiple games for players but I think the gates have went down over the years apart from Kilcoo ones. Maybe it's because there were games spread out over other grounds back then and they looked fuller but there seemed to be more people there.

Do you know that the gates are down or is that just opinion? No doubt the gates were down 2020 and possibly 2021 but that would have been down to Covid restrictions in the first instance and covid apprehension in year 2.
But not all counties use straight knock out. I think Donegal and Derry use groups initially though open to correction on that

Truth hurts

Look we can all be critical of the county executive at times but our leagues and championship is the envy of Ulster. The league is run like clockwork by the CCC

Truth hurts

Sad news in Bryansford today with the sudden passing of Raymie Harbinson, one of the greats of the club. RIP

Mourne Red

Attendances been down in recent years due to COVID, Pairc TV or similar streaming a lot of games and also price of tickets into matches

bigarsedkeeper

Quote from: Godsown on June 15, 2022, 03:40:37 PM
Quote from: bigarsedkeeper on June 15, 2022, 02:40:40 PM

Do you know that the gates are down or is that just opinion? No doubt the gates were down 2020 and possibly 2021 but that would have been down to Covid restrictions in the first instance and covid apprehension in year 2.
But not all counties use straight knock out. I think Donegal and Derry use groups initially though open to correction on that

I said it looks like there less people there, simply an observation - has anyone attendance numbers? Smaller grounds maybe give the feel of more people there.

Johnnysboys

I have lost in the first round of championship many many times. But we came back stronger and worked harder than the previous year to set it right. Lads put too much in now my arse - we put in just as much on the pitch and gym 20 years ago. The profile wasn't as big then but due to social media that has changed. If Clonduff raised themselves this year beyond normal and beat Kilcoo in round one - Kilcoo will probably get them in 1/4 final or semi final and knock them out like they did to us a few years back. In kilcoos 6 in a row they were beaten twice by Burren in early stages and ended up winning it outright - tarnished championships they are.

stiff breeze

Quote from: Johnnysboys on June 16, 2022, 06:00:46 PM

I have lost in the first round of championship many many times. But we came back stronger and worked harder than the previous year to set it right. Lads put too much in now my arse - we put in just as much on the pitch and gym 20 years ago. The profile wasn't as big then but due to social media that has changed. If Clonduff raised themselves this year beyond normal and beat Kilcoo in round one - Kilcoo will probably get them in 1/4 final or semi final and knock them out like they did to us a few years back. In kilcoos 6 in a row they were beaten twice by Burren in early stages and ended up winning it outright - tarnished championships they are.

So you came back stronger but have been beat in first round many many times 🤔🤔

Also that's complete and utter nonsense about guys doing as much in the gym 20 years ago . On the pitch maybe but it was mostly daft training , it's now much more quality coaching and less laps . Whatever you may say about the younger generation now you definitely cannot lay lacking condition at most of them . 20 years ago people gained 1/2 stone in the off season . There is no off season now

Johnnysboys

[/quote]

So you came back stronger but have been beat in first round many many times 🤔🤔

Also that's complete and utter nonsense about guys doing as much in the gym 20 years ago . On the pitch maybe but it was mostly daft training , it's now much more quality coaching and less laps . Whatever you may say about the younger generation now you definitely cannot lay lacking condition at most of them . 20 years ago people gained 1/2 stone in the off season . There is no off season now
[/quote]

I Didn say we were beat many many times in consecutive years.
Mayb guys in your club weren't doing much in the gym 20 years ago but in CPN they certainly were. Remember 20 years ago Armagh won an all Ireland with a team of monsters who set the bar high in terms of conditioning. The usual stuff happened with the club scene thinking they shud be doing what county teams are doing. The gym sessions might not have been as structured and professionally laid out as they are nowadays but they were effective. And as for laps - more All Irelands were won with them than without them despite all the bullshit overpriced sports science gurus and what they say.