Hurling 2024

Started by seafoid, January 01, 2023, 08:24:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

johnnycool

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on April 18, 2024, 06:27:14 PM
Quote from: marty34 on April 18, 2024, 04:59:16 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on April 18, 2024, 04:45:00 PM"It's not just the removal of the helmet though, it's if you've to stop the play to allow a physio on at all."

If I have to stop play.

Though if a physio comes on and can administer a spray while play continues I'm happy with that, should I have to blow the whistle and the player requires assistance they have to go off, now seeing as it was my first real go at it, I waved the player on rather than waiting for a break, he was genuinely hurt from a tackle from the other team, its a bit unfair surely to disadvantage them twice? 

But is that not wrong, going by them new rules?

Completely

Bitta common sense needs to be applied and while I'm not against following it to the letter, sometimes it's actually counterproductive and not serving the reason why it's introduced

The reason for the new rules is to prevent cynical playacting,  faking injuries to slow the game down like nicky quaid getting something in his eye last year.
If its genuine then it's harsh but if they're acting the bollox then I'd make them wait for the next break in play.

Delgany 2nds

Quote from: johnnycool on April 18, 2024, 10:18:41 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on April 18, 2024, 04:45:00 PM"It's not just the removal of the helmet though, it's if you've to stop the play to allow a physio on at all."

If I have to stop play.

Though if a physio comes on and can administer a spray while play continues I'm happy with that, should I have to blow the whistle and the player requires assistance they have to go off, now seeing as it was my first real go at it, I waved the player on rather than waiting for a break, he was genuinely hurt from a tackle from the other team, its a bit unfair surely to disadvantage them twice? 

Completely

Bitta common sense needs to be applied and while I'm not against following it to the letter, sometimes it's actually counterproductive and not serving the reason why it's introduced

The reason for the new rules is to prevent cynical playacting,  faking injuries to slow the game down like nicky quaid getting something in his eye last year.
If its genuine then it's harsh but if they're acting the bollox then I'd make them wait for the next break in play.

This rule was apparently amended during the week, to include the goalkeeper! Doesn't make much sense.

marty34

Quote from: Delgany 2nds on April 18, 2024, 10:29:23 PM

If I have to stop play.

Completely

This rule was apparently amended during the week, to include the goalkeeper! Doesn't make much sense.

I said that a few weeks ago that to circumvent all this is for the keeper to go down. The rule didn't mention keepers.

I'd make it another player must stand i  goals and team down to 14 players until next break in play.

johnnycool

Quote from: marty34 on April 18, 2024, 11:06:24 PM
Quote from: Delgany 2nds on April 18, 2024, 10:29:23 PM

If I have to stop play.

Completely

I said that a few weeks ago that to circumvent all this is for the keeper to go down. The rule didn't mention keepers.

I'd make it another player must stand i  goals and team down to 14 players until next break in play.

That is what is meant to happen even if there's a penalty to be taken, if the keeper receives treatment from the incident that led to the penalty being given they too need to leave the field of play until the next break in play or in MR2's case when he waves him back on...

;D

Those frankies never were ones for following the rules.

Milltown Row2

The biggest problem I see with this is some players in the heat of the game will wave away any medical attention so that they can stay on the pitch, which in turn will lead to missed concussions or other injuries

The common sense approach would be for the team that has a player waiting to come on would be to knock the ball outta play as soon as possible so their player can come straight back on

Be some gurning soon especially come championship
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Saffrongael

Jesus what a mistake by the umpire there in the U-20 game, Tipp keeper pushed the ball into the net there and no goal given
Let no-one say the best hurlers belong to the past. They are with us now, and better yet to come

Capt Pat

I saw that, some howler by the umpire.

Also at the conclusion of the same game, a Cork player was through on goal just outside the penalty area and was taken out by the defender. There was no black card or penalty given. I assume they are not given at under 20 level. Cork pointed the free.

Tipp went straight down the field and scored the winning point. Cork had a lot of wides. They left it behind them.

marty34

Quote from: Capt Pat on May 24, 2024, 09:28:23 PMI saw that, some howler by the umpire.

Also at the conclusion of the same game, a Cork player was through on goal just outside the penalty area and was taken out by the defender. There was no black card or penalty given. I assume they are not given at under 20 level. Cork pointed the free.

Tipp went straight down the field and scored the winning point. Cork had a lot of wides. They left it behind them.

Cork had too many wides, especially in the second half.

'Goal' for Cork was poor by the umpire. Should there be a lad watching the game on a tv in a room to tell the ref. ..kind of VAR?  That was a clear goal at a crucial time in a Munster Final

With that and minors winning Munster, Tipp are not too bad off. Like Kilkenny and Cork, they'll always have the hurlers.

Just looking at a few posts above, the rule about a player coming off/physio on seems to have passed by the wayside.

Milltown Row2

That is a sickening thing for Cork, it really is tough on teams, unfortunately those mistakes do happen, I've been on the end of those as a ref when the call or no call from the umpire results in controversy.

There's no play back and no immediate response as play continues.

In televised games if it's obvious, from an instant view on tv, then with ref's mic'd up he can be told to blow his whistle, walk very slowly towards his umpires, and a fourth or a fifth behind the scenes official has a look at the monitor.

He can rubber stamp the call and the right call is made.

People complaining about umpires size and sight, on occasions you are looking to see the ball go over the bar or if someone is stepping into the square or you blink and miss it.

The ref is only as good as the team around him! He'll carry the can for that one
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

marty34

A great article here by Conor Neville of RTÉ about the history and current standing of the two hurling championships - Munster and Leinster.  A good few counties, in Munster anyway (and Ger Loughnane, quelle surprise  :o ), were initially against it but credit where credit's due, it has been a masterstroke by the GAA to use that league system in the hurling championship.

The only issue I would have is the Mc Donagh finalists getting a place in the knock-out stages but I understand why it's done.

Despite occasional predictions to the contrary, at the end of the fifth edition of the provincial league format in the hurling championship, there's no sign of staleness creeping in.

It's a mark of the wild success of the round-robin that the primary complaint is not enough of the games are on telly.

This is in contrast with the football championship where a sizable portion of the community are still waiting for it to start.

Fielding queries from casual followers on the football format is one of the banes of our modern existence here. At this stage, there is surely call for an 'are they out now, or what?' helpline that non-internet savvy folk can ring up where they can receive an answer yay or nay. (Can be an automated 'nay' response until the final round of the group phase).

It's hard to credit now that the current hurling structure was hastily voted through as a panicked measure in response to the introduction of the Super 8 format in Gaelic football.

It's even harder to credit that a majority of First World hurling counties were staunchly opposed to its introduction and it only passed the 60% threshold on the strength of the votes from wholly uninterested football counties, who were blasé enough to be leant on by Central Council.

On the day of the vote in September 2017, Ger Loughnane speculated that the provincial league system had been devised by someone intent on "destroying hurling completely" and echoed the common refrain that the association should rename itself the GFA.

Eight months later, Ger, seemingly much taken by the fact that Offaly were about to get relegated, performed a dramatic volte face, declaring the system the best that had ever been put in place for hurling.

It should be better remembered that the format which has launched the Munster hurling championship, in particular, into a new stratosphere in terms of hype and public interest was rejected out of hand by all of the competing counties, bar Limerick (Waterford labelled the format "crazy"). The ultimate testament to hurling's love affair with the status quo at any and all times.

The 2024 campaign may have been the most democratic yet. Rarely have we entered the final round of games with so much still uncertain.

Last Sunday brought more blood and thunder and scenes of wild anarchy, in Ennis at least, and teed things up for the final weekend beautifully.

Clare snatched a vital win over an impressively resilient Waterford thanks to a contested last-gasp '65, which triggered the usual crowd scene around the ref at the final whistle.

In a new departure in the field of referee criticism, aggrieved Waterford fans largely accepted the call was the correct one but objected to the methodology used.

A tedious tack to take, for sure, but also a rather sophisticated one. They reacted to the umpire's raised arm the way a sceptical Maths teacher might to a lad who had just written down the right answer to a complex equation without showing any evidence of his workings. No, no, no. Not good enough. Do it properly.

As usual, the officials' correctness proved a flimsy defence against the angry mob. While Davy Fitz bawled out the unfortunate referee Liam Gordon at full-time, one Déise backroom team member was anxious that all post-match interactions take place out of the public glare, and slapped away the RTÉ lens as if it were a TMZ camera phone confronting a Hollywood actress leaving a restaurant.

Despite the unpleasantness after the game last weekend, it's been a positive campaign for the Waterford hurlers, who've finally come to the party in the Munster SHC round-robin. In the end, they may have cause to regret their failure to bury a poor Tipp side in Round 2, though a result of any sort will likely sneak them into the top-three for the first time. A win could even do the unthinkable and dump the five-in-a-row chasers out of the championship before they get sight of Croke Park.

Tipperary, shockinngly, have taken Waterford's previously allotted role as competition whipping boys. It's all looking a bit late '70s/ early '80s for Tipp these days. They are at such a low ebb currently that they allowed the always voluble Cork hurling fraternity stage a private party in their own stadium last Sunday.

Meanwhile, a rejuvenated Cork could yet be helpless to prevent their own elimination should Limerick and Waterford wind up in a draw this afternoon, and the game in Thurles goes to form. Should it come to pass, the allegations of a stitch-up will reverberate for a while and on Leeside, they'll presumably forever affix an asterisk on this year's All-Ireland.

Engineering a draw in so free-scoring a game as hurling is a bit of a stretch and absurdly risky at that, though Davy is nothing if not an innovator. Limerick will not want to be next nigh or near that scenario coming down the stretch. And if Waterford are in possession and the scores are level in the dying seconds, they'll hardly be able to resist the temptation to take Limerick out of the reckoning - not to mention propel themselves into a Munster final - by having a pot from halfway.

None of which is to say the game won't end as a draw regardless of either team's intentions. It promises to be a nervy afternoon for Cork. GAA fans haven't always been quickest on the uptake regarding permutations but Cork fans were fully apprised of the significance of last weekend's game in Ennis and there were relieved cheers reported in the bars around Thurles when Rodgers' 65 split the posts.

Davy Fitz has been here before... Back in 2019, the Galway backroom team clustered around a mobile phone in the dugout after their final day loss at Parnell Park to watch the final minutes of the simultaneous Wexford-Kilkenny game. Top of the table at throw-in, only a draw in Wexford could have eliminated them. It duly happened.

The 2019 finale, and even last year's unexpectedly entertaining final day, belies the notion that Leinster has always been a procession. Ahead of the 2024 edition, the Leinster league phase was billed as an elongated warm-up before Kilkenny and Galway met in another final, with Wexford and Dublin again scrapping it out for third place.

It may still fall that way but it is far from a certainty, with Galway, insipid in Wexford Park, likely requiring a win against Dublin to ensure their progression in the championship. Wexford are going for three wins on the spin against Kilkenny, though the worst that can befall the latter is missing out on the provincial final.

In the heady days of 2018, it was warned that the new format could become a chore if one or two teams pull dramatically away from the rest. Or if a couple of others on the fringes of the elite fell off the pace badly.

The fear was that the latter was occurring in Leinster already. The 2024 campaign, more unpredictable than anyone had foreseen, has been a happy rebuke to that idea.

It's worth reflecting on the 2017 campaign, the last played under the old back-door format, sans crowd restrictions.

When the fateful vote came up that autumn, Waterford chairman Paddy Joe Ryan said that county board delegates were "dismayed" that changes were being made to the format, "especially after having the most successful championship ever".

While one might be inclined to think that Ryan's opinion/ assertion was conditioned by the fact that Waterford made the final, it was in reality a strong year for the game, attendance wise.

That summer saw four Munster SHC matches played, all staged in Thurles, with a combined attendance of 127,992. This was considerably up on the previous year when the final was played at the Gaelic Grounds, with 100,868 across the four games.

The eight games played across various venues in 2024 have attracted 219,875 supporters, and we still have three games left, including the Munster decider.

When it comes to the hurling championship, the conclusion is that more is more.