Best/Most Disappointing Places You Have Visited

Started by Canalman, June 20, 2008, 12:57:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TwoUpTwoDown

Best:
Vietnam - in particular Hanoi and Phong Nha.
Holy Land - Jerusalem, Bethlehem and Masada etc

Worst:
Manchester and Madrid

Gold

Quote from: imtommygunn on September 30, 2022, 09:18:21 PM
I thought LA was a letdown too.

Best in terms of expectations I ever visited was a place called kotor in Montenegro. No expectations but as beautiful a place as you'd see. Spectacular. I know it's hyped but Rome is phenomenal to visit.

The wee Chapel on the wee island in the middle of the Bay of Kotor at Perest is heavenly
"Cheeky Charlie McKenna..."

bennydorano

Liverpool is some spot. Unreal nightlife and I'd the most spiritual hour of my life in the Metropolitan Cathedral, inspiring building, inside & out.

mrdeeds

Best- New Zealand both islands by a mile.
Fiji, Halong Bay Vietnam, PhiPhi Thailand, Las Vegas honourable mentions.

Worst- Downtown LA, Tunisia, Vienna

Olly

LOVEEEEED: FALLS RD BOWLING CLUB. KEADY CHIP SJJI+--------OP. ROME
HATEE+D: BRU OFFICE, BROS CONV+CERT, SION MILLS
Access to this webpage has been denied . This website has been categorised as "Sexual Material".

gawa316

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on September 30, 2022, 08:33:20 PM
Quote from: gawa316 on September 30, 2022, 06:31:26 PM
Quote from: Eamonnca1 on September 30, 2022, 06:16:23 PM
Best:
Paris. Could not get enough of the place.
Manhattan
Vancouver
Chicago
Santa Cruz, California
Capitola, California (we go there regularly with the children. Very handy little beach with everything you need close at hand)
St Petersburg (it was called Leningrad then)
Moscow

Worst:
Orlando, Florida
Rural Texas

Underwhelming:
Glencar Waterfall. A short walk from the road and there it is, a miniature waterfall. I though, "is that it?!"

Great spot...ever go to the Shadowbrook restaurant?

No but it looks good. Must try it out, thanks for the tip. We tend to get fish n chips at the Britannia Arms which is right there at the beach, or tacos from one of the Mexican eating houses nearby.

Definitely more of a 'bring the missus' spot and leave the kids at home.

Yes been to Long Beach...anywhere along the coast is class IMO. LA is so fricking big it's actually hard to just say it's good or bad...maybe the 405 memories put a negative swing on it for me. The wife's uncle lives in Encino in a house you would see on cribs...I definitely do not mind going there and getting fed and watered with the infinity pool to dip the toe

PMG1

Best: Porto (beautiful city, people and food)
Tokyo
Tomakomai
Zell Am See in Austria (in summertime)
Beziers
Prague
Brisbane / Gold Coast
Bratislava

Worst:
Giants Causeway (brought a Japanese supplier there and was embarrassed)
Paris
Leeds
Portrush
Rome (beautiful but no nightlife)
Venice

theskull1

Not disagreeing with the negative sentiment regarding the Giants Causeway itself....but if you like walking, you will not be disappointed doing the the Causeway Way walk from Ballintoy (or from Dunseverick Castle for a short stroll) to the Giants Causeway.
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

Jeepers Creepers

Quote from: theskull1 on October 01, 2022, 11:47:49 AM
Not disagreeing with the negative sentiment regarding the Giants Causeway itself....but if you like walking, you will not be disappointed doing the the Causeway Way walk from Ballintoy (or from Dunseverick Castle for a short stroll) to the Giants Causeway.

+1

Silver hill

Quote from: Jeepers Creepers on October 01, 2022, 02:32:33 PM
Quote from: theskull1 on October 01, 2022, 11:47:49 AM

+1

It's not bad but completely overhyped. Underwhelmed would be the emotion that I would use. Same with the dark hedges.....what a load of oul bollocks.

Baile an tuaigh

I live beside the Giants Causeway. There was an old saying "worth seeing but not worth going to see".

Agree with skull the cliff path is incredible for scenery haven't seen anything anywhere better including the grand canyon.

Worst place I was ever in was the east side of Chicago.

trailer

Cannot believe I missed this thread.

Best places?
London. Love it. Brilliant city. Lots to do restaurants, night life all fantastic.
New York. Again loads to do.
San Francisco. More laid back but great city

Worst?

Donegal top of that list. From Bundoran to Downings they have completely ruined a nice county with some of the most appalling planning decisions ever made. The CC has never heard of footpaths. 80% of all houses built remain unfinished. Card payment technology hasn't reached them yet and it f**king rains a lot. Completely overrated.

Philadelphia. A real shit hole. It does have footpaths but like Donegal - Avoid!

Targetman

Just back from 5 nights in Vegas, loved it with the highlight being the helicopter ride to the Grand Canyon, worst place is a no brainier Kilkeel!!

Milltown Row2

Best places:
As mentioned above New York, so much to do and see
London is an amazing city like New York but on your doorstep, enjoyed Liverpool recently (oh that feels dirty) heading over end of month for the day again
South of France, beautiful place with great family holidays as memories
Locally for me with the dogs, the Mournes and Donegal (sorry Trailer lol) but where I go with friends its always been a great spot for walks banter and good food..

Worst places: Not overly fussed on Paris, might give it another go and plan things better than last time
Florida, been 3 times and bar the fun the kids had at Disney I wasn't a big fan, parks are grand though.
Tayto park
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

lurganblue

Quote from: mrdeeds on September 30, 2022, 11:05:17 PM
Best- New Zealand both islands by a mile.
Fiji, Halong Bay Vietnam, PhiPhi Thailand, Las Vegas honourable mentions.

Worst- Downtown LA, Tunisia, Vienna

Surely not? What a city. Culture, Art, Music, Food and wine. Stunning buildings etc. What experience made it one of the worst places for you?