Redhand Santa

Quote from: GiveItToTheShooters on October 27, 2022, 01:47:24 PM
Quote from: general_lee on October 27, 2022, 10:16:18 AM
Quote from: Armagh18 on October 26, 2022, 08:38:39 PM
Quote from: nrico2006 on October 26, 2022, 07:25:54 PM
Quote from: Armagh18 on October 26, 2022, 06:25:29 PM
Quote from: general_lee on October 26, 2022, 05:11:39 PM
Quote from: Armagh18 on October 26, 2022, 04:13:57 PM
https://www.irishmirror.ie/news/irish-news/young-man-who-stabbed-killed-28333501?fbclid=IwAR3IUH9LvUgGBOStnnosfcBx2lBDQsLujSSrbS1k3OYJDqJENaWrJBXPK1k#l9prxofeyw8mzexf67e

Thought it was waterford whispers news for a second. What an absolute sc**bag of a judge.
Who keeps a knife by their bed?
Do most people not keep something under the bed in case the worst happens? Probably a smart idea to start.

I always keep something nearby to be honest.  Does it matter where he got the knife from anyway, the fact is a man intent on violence broke into his house and he sorted it out.  Disgraceful judgement.
Yeah. For me anyone that breaks into your house loses all rights. The lad was 17 at the time if I'm reading it right as well
So you're saying people have a right to kill others so long as it's part of a break in? What level of violence, if any, is needed before you should be legally entitled to kill them? Are you Derek Chauvin?

Also he got like 3 years, including time on remand, how's that disgraceful!?
Did you actually just type that out haha my god. They're nowhere near the same thing.
You don't have a right to kill anybody, but he defended himself and his home at a split second heat of the moment. He's hardly gonna ask the burglar to politely to turn around and go back out the front door is he ;D

If I picked it up right it wasn't a burgarly. He broke into the house after a nights drinking because he thought the boy inside had damaged his car. So I'm assuming they knew each other and had history? If so probably not just as straight forward as someone defending themselves against a random intruder trying to rob the place.

nrico2006

Quote from: grounded on October 27, 2022, 10:22:30 AM
Quote from: johnnycool on October 26, 2022, 05:15:15 PM
https://www.irishmirror.ie/news/irish-news/young-man-who-stabbed-killed-28333501?fbclid=IwAR3IUH9LvUgGBOStnnosfcBx2lBDQsLujSSrbS1k3OYJDqJENaWrJBXPK1k#l9prxofeyw8mzexf67e

Thought it was waterford whispers news for a second. What an absolute sc**bag of a judge.

There's more to this than meets the eye methinks..

The fact that he is a moderate risk of violent reoffending in the future, would also cause you to think that way.

Is that determination simply based on the killing of the intruder though?
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Redhand Santa on October 27, 2022, 02:50:46 PM

Do most people not keep something under the bed in case the worst happens? Probably a smart idea to start.

I always keep something nearby to be honest.  Does it matter where he got the knife from anyway, the fact is a man intent on violence broke into his house and he sorted it out.  Disgraceful judgement.
Yeah. For me anyone that breaks into your house loses all rights. The lad was 17 at the time if I'm reading it right as well
So you're saying people have a right to kill others so long as it's part of a break in? What level of violence, if any, is needed before you should be legally entitled to kill them? Are you Derek Chauvin?

Did you actually just type that out haha my god. They're nowhere near the same thing.
You don't have a right to kill anybody, but he defended himself and his home at a split second heat of the moment. He's hardly gonna ask the burglar to politely to turn around and go back out the front door is he ;D

If I picked it up right it wasn't a burgarly. He broke into the house after a nights drinking because he thought the boy inside had damaged his car. So I'm assuming they knew each other and had history? If so probably not just as straight forward as someone defending themselves against a random intruder trying to rob the place.

Did he break in just to have a word with him?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

GiveItToTheShooters

Quote from: Redhand Santa on October 27, 2022, 02:50:46 PM

Doesn't change a thing. In that case your man still broke into the house and was planning on harming the person who lives there, I'd say that's even more of a reason to physically defend yourself, whether he was planning on stealing anything or not.

brokencrossbar1

Defendant stabs him once or twice in retaliation or self defence,  can perhaps justify that. Multiple stab wounds,  harder to defend. We don't know the mechanics of the stabbing so it's hard to say if it was excessive or not. Many people base their opinions on headline pieces and don't actually know the ins and outs. Every set of facts stands on its own feet

general_lee

I did aye, trouble reading?
He says once you break in to someone's home you lose all your rights, presumably that includes your right to life.

Armagh18

Quote from: general_lee on October 27, 2022, 05:20:19 PM

He says once you break in to someone's home you lose all your rights, presumably that includes your right to life.
As a famous Russian once said- if he dies, he dies. I certainly wouldn't be shedding a tear for anyone who died as a result of someone defending themselves/their family/their home.

seafoid

The deceased obviously had anger management issues
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Gmac

In this circumstance what should the kid do , pull the blankets up over his head and hope his mother and himself will be ok ? If he confronts the intruder should he bring something to defend himself and if so is he prepared to use it if necessary.
My opinion is if you break into someone's house and end up dead that's on you .

GiveItToTheShooters

No, I've no trouble reading.
I just couldn't believe you actually went and typed it out.
He broke into someone's home looking bother, what did he expect. Simple really

GiveItToTheShooters

Quote from: Gmac on October 27, 2022, 06:53:22 PM
In this circumstance what should the kid do , pull the blankets up over his head and hope his mother and himself will be ok ? If he confronts the intruder should he bring something to defend himself and if so is he prepared to use it if necessary.
My opinion is if you break into someone's house and end up dead that's on you .
Exactly

general_lee

Quote from: GiveItToTheShooters on October 27, 2022, 07:00:51 PM

No, I've no trouble reading.
I just couldn't believe you actually went and typed it out.
He broke into someone's home looking bother, what did he expect. Simple really
I didn't realise we had so many hillbillies on here.
What is it that's so hard to believe? If someone breaks in to your house, you've a right to defend yourself. No one denies that. But if you end up killing someone don't be surprised if  get done for manslaughter. And it's not judge that's a **** for applying the law.

GiveItToTheShooters

It's not black and white in each situation I suppose. You'd be entitled to defend yourself to the point of having the threat of the intruder neutralised but if you then go overboard to inflict further unnecessary damage then that's obviously a different story.

David McKeown

Since the Tony Martin case we have the Immigration Act defence in the North. For me that if anything goes too far. It should be the same as with any form of self defence. I am entitled to defend myself or another and May strike first to do so provided my actions are a proportionate response to what I honestly believe is happening. That belief need only be honest not reasonable. I can only avail of self defence if the risk to me or another is immediate. For example if I subdue someone who has attacked me I can't punish him him with a few more slaps once he's no longer a risk to me and call it self defence.

From my understanding of this case the home owner after realising the intruder was unarmed and no longer a threat continued to attack him before fatally wounding him. The prosecution thought they could prove an intention to kill or inflict GBH. The judge felt he went well beyond what was necessary. I think if you do either of those things then you run the risk of a severe sentence and rightly so.
2022 Allianz League Prediction Competition Winner