NI drink drive limit 'may be cut'

Started by ziggysego, October 22, 2007, 04:53:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

whiskeysteve

Quote from: Orior on October 22, 2007, 05:33:53 PM
Quote from: Gnevin on October 22, 2007, 04:56:23 PM
Quote from: Gabriel_Hurl on October 22, 2007, 04:54:43 PM
It should be 0mg of alcohol per 100ml
Isn't their problems with that? Brandy ice creams and stuff with low alcohol level can give errors?

Maybe, but I'd still second that proposal. However the biggest single thing that would reduce road deaths is to make the maximum speed limit 55mph on all minor roads, main roads, dual carriageways and motorways.

Driving down the motorway at 55mph?? how did ye come to that figure? 70's grand
Somewhere, somehow, someone's going to pay: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPhISgw3I2w

armaghniac

QuoteHowever the biggest single thing that would reduce road deaths is to make the maximum speed limit 55mph on all minor roads, main roads, dual carriageways and motorways.

This is a rather broad brush statement, safety is dependent on the context, given that minor roads are quite differently engineered from motorways a different limit is appropriate, 55mph is too high for minor roads, too low for motorways.

I notice too that it will be announced on Thursday that the limit will be reduced in the 26 counties, along with plans to get the "L" driver louts off the road.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Orior

I thought the limit was 55mph in the USA. 

I've no stats to back this up, but I think accidents involving lorries has reduced since they had their speed capped?
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

el_cuervo_fc

Quote from: Orior on October 23, 2007, 12:04:16 PM
I thought the limit was 55mph in the USA. 

I've no stats to back this up, but I think accidents involving lorries has reduced since they had their speed capped?
Speed limits USA
25–30 mph (40–48 km/h) on residential streets
35–45 mph (56–72 km/h) on urban arterial roads
50–65 mph (80–105 km/h) on major highways inside cities
45–70 mph (72–105 km/h) on rural two-lane roads
55–70 mph (88–112 km/h) on rural expressways
65–80 mph (105–129 km/h) on rural interstate highways

Quote from: Orior on October 22, 2007, 05:33:53 PM

Maybe, but I'd still second that proposal. However the biggest single thing that would reduce road deaths is to make the maximum speed limit 55mph on all minor roads, main roads, dual carriageways and motorways.

I can see where you're comin from for the minor road, but why Dual carriage ways and Motorways? Holy jesus, They're frustrating enough at best of times when you're stuck behind some sunday drver who wont pull in from the overtaking lane

whiskeysteve

Somewhere, somehow, someone's going to pay: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPhISgw3I2w

ziggysego

EUROPEAN DRINK DRIVE LIMITS (Grams of alcohol per litre of blood)

0.8g = UK, Ireland, Luxembourg, Malta
0.5g = Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Cyprus, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany Greece, Italy, Latvia, Netherlands, Portugal, Slovenia, Spain
0.4g = Lithuania
0.2g = Norway, Poland, Sweden
Zero tolerance = Estonia, Romania, Slovakia, Czech Republic, Hungary

Source: European Road Safety Observatory
Testing Accessibility