Six County Census Results 2021

Started by Snapchap, September 21, 2022, 09:09:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eamonnca1

Quote from: ONeill on September 23, 2022, 11:07:25 PM
On another note...Mid Ulster is the only area with more men than wemen. Silicon Valley?

Engineering industry around Dungannon. More like a mini Ruhr Valley.

Farrandeelin

Quote from: Eire90 on September 24, 2022, 01:12:09 AM
do you think losing the referendum  could spark violence  aswell

Depends on which side loses.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Main Street on September 24, 2022, 04:04:54 AM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on September 23, 2022, 10:54:38 PM
Quote from: naka on September 23, 2022, 10:51:04 PM
Quote from: ONeill on September 23, 2022, 10:04:55 PM
A sizeable percentage of Catholics who don't see themselves as Irish was another big take from this, or prefer Northern Irish to Irish.
Chuckling our neighbours in the 26 don't see us as Irish either
Northern Irish isn't  totally indicative of a unionist slant , my two teenage kids would want a united Ireland as much as the rest of us but when in Dublin  at university they will say they are northern Irish because it's easier than trying to justify to  southern people they are Irish .

I've a mate who's daughter couldn't get into DCU because she wasn't Irish, she has Irish passport and was born in Ireland..
"I've a mate who's daughter....."    .... such bull  :D
Have you ever come across such a thing called entry criteria?
Has your mate's daughter completed the Irish Leaving certificate?  no?  then she should apply presenting her UK education credentials.

If you don't like any of this differential nonsense on this island  then put your foot forward for a United Ireland, but could it be that you are one of those who are fearful about the price of an xray in a UI?

In DCU they take all the southern students first... it's not bull, so they have the criteria that distinguishes between Irish in the north and south.. she ended up in Liverpool

It's ok I can well afford the X-ray or doctors appointments, would afford them plenty in a UI due to the medical service that's provided in the south

None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Kidder81

Example #3457 of Milltown Row telling strangers on an internet forum that he is well paid. Bizarre stuff  :-\ :-\

Main Street

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on September 24, 2022, 08:31:10 AM
Quote from: Main Street on September 24, 2022, 04:04:54 AM
A sizeable percentage of Catholics who don't see themselves as Irish was another big take from this, or prefer Northern Irish to Irish.
Northern Irish isn't  totally indicative of a unionist slant , my two teenage kids would want a united Ireland as much as the rest of us but when in Dublin  at university they will say they are northern Irish because it's easier than trying to justify to  southern people they are Irish .

I've a mate who's daughter couldn't get into DCU because she wasn't Irish, she has Irish passport and was born in Ireland..
"I've a mate who's daughter....."    .... such bull  :D
Have you ever come across such a thing called entry criteria?
Has your mate's daughter completed the Irish Leaving certificate?  no?  then she should apply presenting her UK education credentials.

If you don't like any of this differential nonsense on this island  then put your foot forward for a United Ireland, but could it be that you are one of those who are fearful about the price of an xray in a UI?

In DCU they take all the southern students first... it's not bull, so they have the criteria that distinguishes between Irish in the north and south.. she ended up in Liverpool

It's ok I can well afford the X-ray or doctors appointments, would afford them plenty in a UI due to the medical service that's provided in the south
Where have DCU got that criteria?
I find it unbelievable that Irish Universities do not apply the standard CAO system  http://www.cao.ie/.

TCD's   page for NI students https://www.tcd.ie/study/country/n-ireland/
'Students applying to Trinity from Northern Ireland in 2021/22 will be eligible for all of the places that will be filled in the normal way through the CAO system'[/i]

naka

Genuinely not sure about that.
Trinity actually have certain courses the ones with over 600 needed with spaces for (NI) students because 4 astars only gets 600
Or whatever the score is .

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Kidder81 on September 24, 2022, 12:36:46 PM
Example #3457 of Milltown Row telling strangers on an internet forum that he is well paid. Bizarre stuff  :-\ :-\

He questioned whether I can pay for X-rays I said I can..

Back to what I was saying she met the criteria it's just all the places were taken first by the more Irish people in the south first.
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

JimStynes

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on September 24, 2022, 02:45:58 PM

Back to what I was saying she met the criteria it's just all the places were taken first by the more Irish people in the south first.

Highest paid ref in antrim apparently! f**king joke

grounded

There actually are quota systems in place for some irish university courses, particularly highly sought after courses like medicine, dentistry, Actuary etc but i think these are based on Irish/eu vs non-eu. I don't think there are any quota systems in place purely for 26 county students (but im open to correction)
         Coincidentally Westminster did introduce a quota system for English students wanting to study in Scotland, Wales or Northern Ireland.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: grounded on September 24, 2022, 03:43:57 PM

There actually are quota systems in place for some irish university courses, particularly highly sought after courses like medicine, dentistry, Actuary etc but i think these are based on Irish/eu vs non-eu. I don't think there are any quota systems in place purely for 26 county students (but im open to correction)
         Coincidentally Westminster did introduce a quota system for English students wanting to study in Scotland, Wales or Northern Ireland.

I'm open to correction also in respect that I don't know the course she was on but did to not getting in she had to go to Liverpool as all the places were taken by 'Irish' students first and then if space it was given out to lesser Irish ones ;)

armaghniac

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on September 24, 2022, 04:05:20 PM

I'm open to correction also in respect that I don't know the course she was on but did to not getting in she had to go to Liverpool as all the places were taken by 'Irish' students first and then if space it was given out to lesser Irish ones ;)

It might be worth clarifying what course it was, so we can check this. Was that this year? The Leaving Cert results being later caused huge problems to universities and and the "exchange rate" between grades and A levels may have been problematic.
AFAIK the only course with an explicit quota for NI students is UCD Veterinary.

From Google DCU have a McAleese scholarship and seem to have had a policy of getting more NI students.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Milltown Row2

He'd said she'd the results to get in... but they had to wait on all the places being taken by Irish students first..

Course she's doing now is politics and international business, not sure if that was the course she had chosen at DCU though, would be a variation of that I'd assume

grounded

Quote from: armaghniac on September 24, 2022, 04:25:00 PM

It might be worth clarifying what course it was, so we can check this. Was that this year? The Leaving Cert results being later caused huge problems to universities and and the "exchange rate" between grades and A levels may have been problematic.
AFAIK the only course with an explicit quota for NI students is UCD Veterinary.

From Google DCU have a McAleese scholarship and seem to have had a policy of getting more NI students.

Were getting off topic a little, but cross border university enrollments are at a historically very low level.
    The Oireachtas Education Committee recently made some recommendations.
https://www.oireachtas.ie/en/press-centre/press-releases/20220713-joint-committee-on-education-further-and-higher-education-research-innovation-and-science-has-published-its-report-on-north-south-enrolment/
      The drop in Northern students bucks the trend a little as there has been a huge surge in EU student applications post brexit.

https://m.independent.ie/irish-news/education/applications-from-eu-for-places-in-irish-universities-treble-since-brexit-41883548.html

Whole host of factors at play including cost/availability of accommodation, cost of living, changes in enrollment requirements, late CAO offers etc.

naka

Guys one of my kids is on a course in trinity at which 2/3 spaces allocated to northern students because even with 4xa stars and extra points they didn't hit the entrance
So the southern universities are working to get nordies in.

OgraAnDun

Quote from: naka on September 24, 2022, 02:19:12 PM

Genuinely not sure about that.
Trinity actually have certain courses the ones with over 600 needed with spaces for (NI) students because 4 astars only gets 600
Or whatever the score is .

Do a Maths A-Level and you can get more than 600 points.